Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2014 2:11:58 PM EDT
According to the new ATF license renewal application (revised June 2014), "Hours of Operation and/or Availability of Business/Activity" are required even for C&R licenses. I called ATF and asked what would happen if they showed up during the indicated hours and I wasn't at home. I was told in no uncertain terms that I would lose my license. I asked when I could go on vacation and he said I had to be available during the hours I indicated. Keep in mind they can show up unannounced and inspect your log and firearms at your place of "business" during the hours indicated. I suspect this is another way for Obama via the ATF to reduce the number of licenses to further restrict selling and buying small arms.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
just write "Collector only; not a business"

I know others who have done this and their renewals were processed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#2]
How about open all day Feb 29th
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
OK.  12am - 1am.  Knock loudly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
For "Hours of Operation" you pick days of the week not days of the month. For the days you are not "open" you check the "Closed ALL day NO business hours" box. Perhaps I'll indicate 8:00am to 9:00am on Saturday and hope that the chances that they will show up while I'm not home are almost nil. In the 12 years I've had my license I've never been visited.

The last time I used my C&R was 10 years ago so I've considered not renewing. However, I do enjoy receiving and reading the SOG "Confidential" catalog as well as others. If I give up my license I'm sure the month after my license expires something will show up that I really want.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
just write "Collector only; not a business"

I know others who have done this and their renewals were processed.
View Quote

This is what I'll put.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
According to the new ATF license renewal application (revised June 2014), "Hours of Operation and/or Availability of Business/Activity" are required even for C&R licenses. I called ATF and asked what would happen if they showed up during the indicated hours and I wasn't at home. I was told in no uncertain terms that I would lose my license. I asked when I could go on vacation and he said I had to be available during the hours I indicated. Keep in mind they can show up unannounced and inspect your log and firearms at your place of "business" during the hours indicated. I suspect this is another way for Obama via the ATF to reduce the number of licenses to further restrict selling and buying small arms.
View Quote

Whoever told you that was talking out of  their ass, or it was their first day.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:According to the new ATF license renewal application (revised June 2014), "Hours of Operation and/or Availability of Business/Activity" are required even for C&R licenses. I called ATF and asked what would happen if they showed up during the indicated hours and I wasn't at home.
View Quote

They'll leave a business card on your door or come back later.
(<---01FFL who's IOI called to schedule my first compliance inspection on the first day of school. I told him NO, that he could come during my "business hours" of 5-9pm. He said that he couldn't come after 5pm because he had to have the government car back in the motor pool by 5pm. He asked if I could "just take a day off?"...........I told him that's not going to happen during the first weeks of a new school year. Three weeks later I took a half day off so he could do my inspection.)

I was told in no uncertain terms that I would lose my license....
View Quote

1.Call back and get the name of the nitwit that told you this.
2. Then ask the nitwit to forward the call to their supervisor.
3. Ask supervisor to have nitwit read http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=70394195a3edf623eba7ce77a1bddff1&node=27:3.0.1.2.3&rgn=div5#se27.3.478_123
§478.23   Right of entry and examination.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b), any ATF officer, when there is reasonable cause to believe a violation of the Act has occurred and that evidence of the violation may be found on the premises of any licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, may, upon demonstrating such cause before a Federal magistrate and obtaining from the magistrate a warrant authorizing entry, enter during business hours (or, in the case of a licensed collector, the hours of operation) the premises, including places of storage, of any such licensee for the purpose of inspecting or examining:

(1) Any records or documents required to be kept by such licensee under this part and

(2) Any inventory of firearms or ammunition kept or stored by any licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer at such premises or any firearms curios or relics or ammunition kept or stored by any licensed collector at such premises.

(b) Any ATF officer, without having reasonable cause to believe a violation of the Act has occurred or that evidence of the violation may be found and without demonstrating such cause before a Federal magistrate or obtaining from the magistrate a warrant authorizing entry, may enter during business hours the premises, including places of storage, of any licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer for the purpose of inspecting or examining the records, documents, ammunition and firearms referred to in paragraph (a) of this section:

(1) In the course of a reasonable inquiry during the course of a criminal investigation of a person or persons other than the licensee,

(2) For insuring compliance with the recordkeeping requirements of this part:

(i) Not more than once during any 12-month period, or

(ii) At any time with respect to records relating to a firearm involved in a criminal investigation that is traced to the licensee, or

(3) When such inspection or examination may be required for determining the disposition of one or more particular firearms in the course of a bona fide criminal investigation.

(c) Any ATF officer, without having reasonable cause to believe a violation of the Act has occurred or that evidence of the violation may be found and without demonstrating such cause before a Federal magistrate or obtaining from the magistrate a warrant authorizing entry, may enter during hours of operation the premises, including places of storage, of any licensed collector for the purpose of inspecting or examining the records, documents, firearms, and ammunition referred to in paragraph (a) of this section (1) for ensuring compliance with the recordkeeping requirements of this part not more than once during any 12-month period or (2) when such inspection or examination may be required for determining the disposition of one or more particular firearms in the course of a bona fide criminal investigation. At the election of the licensed collector, the annual inspection permitted by this paragraph shall be performed at the ATF office responsible for conducting such inspection in closest proximity to the collectors premises.

(d) The inspections and examinations provided by this section do not authorize an ATF officer to seize any records or documents other than those records or documents constituting material evidence of a violation of law. If an ATF officer seizes such records or documents, copies shall be provided the licensee within a reasonable time.

[T.D. ATF-270, 53 FR 10492, Mar. 31, 1988; as amended by T.D. ATF-363, 60 FR 17450, Apr. 6, 1995]
View Quote

I suspect this is another way for Obama via the ATF to reduce the number of licenses to further restrict selling and buying small arms.
View Quote

Don't be so paranoid. It's been an ATF regulation for decades.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Isn't a C&R only for collectors and not a license to do business?  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

This 100%
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This 100%
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This 100%

therefore you would not have hours, right?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This 100%

A licensed dealer or manufacturer has "business hours".
A licensed collector will have "hours of operation".
Its nothing new.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:00:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I just renewed in September and the renewal form they sent me said "Not applicable to C&R" or something of the sort in the instructions for the business hours part. I left it blank and got my new license mid-October.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just renewed in September and the renewal form they sent me said "Not applicable to C&R" or something of the sort in the instructions for the business hours part. I left it blank and got my new license mid-October.
View Quote

same
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

same
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

same
Also, that section has been there for longer than a year.  I left it blank in 2013 when I renewed.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whomever you spoke with that said you'd lose your license is completely incorrect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top