Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2014 12:44:56 PM EDT
A M91/38 Terni Carcano.  It was filthy, the stock has been lightly sanded and doesn't match, no cleaning rods in the stock,  the bore is lightly pitted and dirty but has strong grooves and looks shootable, and is configured to accept a folding bayonet.  It is Finn Marked.  
This little carbine has some history behind it, it started life in 1918 as a M91 long rifle in 6.5, then in 1939 was cut down and rebored to 7.35 for sale to the Finns.  There are no import marks.  I have some clips to share with its sibling, a M91/28 Moschetto TS in 6.5. These dont get much love here but they are good guns if you know how to use the sights correctly.  Here's some garbage ass pics:

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

Edit: Italian Family Photo with a Carcano Reference book written by a friend in TX.

" />
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice find.

I've been after a good condition 7.35 for ages to go with all the 7.35 ammo I've collected, so it's good to see there are still nice ones out there for affordable prices.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Good score. Looks nice.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd have been all over that. I don't have a 7.35 yet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL....The Finns "liked" them so much they would conveniently lose them in the field when they could get their hands on a Mosin.

More of a testament to the different operating system than defects with the weapon though I read they did not like snow and sub zero temps much.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LOL....The Finns "liked" them so much they would conveniently lose them in the field when they could get their hands on a Mosin.

More of a testament to the different operating system than defects with the weapon though I read they did not like snow and sub zero temps much.
View Quote

I can see that since they use the en bloc style clip.  If some ice got down in there it might could cause the lifter to get stuck or not allow the clip to fully seat.  Other than that they seem GTG(at least the two I have).  OTOH, I've never heard of any complaints from the Alpini Troops (both WWI and II) and I dont think I'll get to do any subzero testing in my AO.

I need a M1934 Beretta to go with these two now.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I can see that since they use the en bloc style clip.  If some ice got down in there it might could cause the lifter to get stuck or not allow the clip to fully seat.  Other than that they seem GTG(at least the two I have).  OTOH, I've never heard of any complaints from the Alpini Troops (both WWI and II) and I dont think I'll get to do any subzero testing in my AO.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a '39 Terni M38 a few years back and it shot well enough but I just never warmed to it like my other Finns.

When the surplus ammo I got for it was gone I sold it.

Interesting info about the M38.

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/RIFLES6.htm

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1934 AND a 1935 (.32 ACP)

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s206.photobucket.com/user/sherrick13/media/imagejpg1_zpsc52c1b5c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/sherrick13/imagejpg1_zpsc52c1b5c.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s206.photobucket.com/user/sherrick13/media/imagejpg1_zpsc52c1b5c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/sherrick13/imagejpg1_zpsc52c1b5c.jpg</a>

Yeah, those.

I'll take both.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:59:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Unique Frenchie today for $120.  Guy wouldn't take $100. Normally I'd call this a $50 pistol, but it's an unknown model.  When you think you've identified what model it is, you're wrong.    Free prize if anyone can positively ID it with some sort of reference.  Desperate attempt to ID it here.  

Also scored a MAB Model D target export for $160.  This is on top of a Moroccan marked Model D waiting at my FFL.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:41:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Neat rifle. I had looked at these thru the years but never took the plunge. Never seen a 7.53 in real life though. Is it hard to find ammo for ? Are there somewhat easy reloading components availible ?

Got a couple "she" rifles so i know hard ammo can be to find.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Neat rifle. I had looked at these thru the years but never took the plunge. Never seen a 7.53 in real life though. Is it hard to find ammo for ? Are there somewhat easy reloading components availible ?

Got a couple "she" rifles so i know hard ammo can be to find.

View Quote

I've seen a few and they are not as uncommon as you'd think.  Ammo is mostly made of unobtanium but I think privi and Hornady will load it occasionally (you have to catch it) though reloading components are readily available.   I picked this up really to expand my collection because it was a screamin' deal and would like to shoot it if I can find some ammo (I don't reload yet).  

Italian gear is extremely underrated and it's value will pick up in the coming years, I'm picking up as much as I can now.  Remember, surplus weapons were regarded as junk in the 60s and 70s.  Look at what the stuff goes for now.  I'm not saying my carcani will be super rare collectors pieces but their value will increase as time goes on.

ETA: To put it in perspective for those who don't know,  there were only 90K SA marked 7.35 carcani made for the Finns between '38-'41.  There were between 25-40 million(unknown exact number) Mosins(M91, 91/30, M44) made.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unique Frenchie today for $120.  Guy wouldn't take $100. Normally I'd call this a $50 pistol, but it's an unknown model.  When you think you've identified what model it is, you're wrong.    Free prize if anyone can positively ID it with some sort of reference.  Desperate attempt to ID it here.  

Also scored a MAB Model D target export for $160.  This is on top of a Moroccan marked Model D waiting at my FFL.

http://imageshack.us/a/img537/7714/MIXpvs.jpg

View Quote

IMA has "Unique" magazines right now.  Not sure if they will fit that... thing.

Unique mags
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, good luck with all that... Unique pistols are exactly what the name implies!

Even if they're a known model they're all hand-fitted parts and very little will interchange without work.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Also, nice Carcano, OP!

I find that the Carcano gets unfairly maligned. My M91 is a very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmmm. Is that a severe case of blood pitting?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Several people in person have suggested that.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top