Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 7:53:16 PM EDT
Hello everybody i have a gun on layaway at the LGS and whoever owned it before me painted over the markings but the serial number has a  CC prefix and A after the serial number. By the way any tips on removing paint but not the blue on a gun would be aappreciated.
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
they are painted over park not blued. Don't touch the finish.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for telling me that so maybe it didn't have a year on the wristband ( or whatever it's called)
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
It should have a year stamped on the wrist on the left side. Might be lightly stamped/faded and hard to read.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#4]
My No4Mkl is marked just above the ejector screw rather than obtuse wrist socket.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Hello everybody i have a gun on layaway at the LGS and whoever owned it before me painted over the markings but the serial number has a  CC prefix and A after the serial number. By the way any tips on removing paint but not the blue on a gun would be aappreciated.

Thanks for the help.
View Quote
I can't find any reference to a "CC" prefix in my info.  And I can't find any letter code suffixes either.  Is this the original serial number on the wrist of the receiver or a new serial number applied by the importer?  If the later, it won't tell you anything about the manufacturer or year of manufacture.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can't find any reference to a "CC" prefix in my info.  And I can't find any letter code suffixes either.  Is this the original serial number on the wrist of the receiver or a new serial number applied by the importer?  If the later, it won't tell you anything about the manufacturer or year of manufacture.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the help.

Im not sure. I remember it having what looked like two serial numbers which i thought was odd but the one on the receipt was the one with CC. Ill report back when i see it again but don't know when that will be
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#7]
The serial number stated on the receipt will be the importer's applied serial number. It may be very similar or completely different from the original maker's serial number. I think we're just you.g to have to wait until you have it in your hands and can hopefully post Sharp, clear pictures.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#8]
ROF Fazakerley used two letter prefixes, but I don't know offhand about CC. The suffex -A is tagged on British rifles that had non-standard parts. The rifles were servicable for use, but there is something pecular about that particular rifle. My Fazakerley is GA22***-A. I haven't found what is non-standard, and it is my primary shooter.

After checking my references, the CC and my GA are not referenced. As was stated earlier detailed photo's will be helpful.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:21:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This +1,000,000

Don't try to remove the paint.  Leave it as-is.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#10]
"CC" is not a observed prefix.  "A" means a non standard part, normally a pin in the firing mechanism.

If the paint is original it's Suncorite.  Normally over a oil blackened finish.  Very few No4's had a park finish, just some the north American made No4's.  Suncorite was used on refurbished rifles a lot.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#11]
sorry i haven't responded back here in awhile ive been busy. anyway i think i remember something like M A S on the bolt what does that mean and does $265 seem like a good price for a No. 4 Mk1 in good condition that may or may not be re coated. and i feel like i remember seeing ROF or something like that marked on it.  i might be able to take some pics of it on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 12:56:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Page 244 of The Lee-Enfiield... By Ian Skennerton says that some BSA  No4's had CC as a prefix.
"However, some CA and CC prefix numbers have been noticed more recently so production extended beyond War Office allocations."
Fazakerley ROF used the A suffix from 48-57 but used the PF. From 44-47 FE, no letter prefix, then A-Z, then AA-AF, all with 4 numbers. I'm wondering if your No4 was a BSA Mk1 converted to a Mk1/2 at Fazakerley during the retrofitting post war to make it like the MkII's.
I just found reference to the A suffix being used by ordnance depot or armourer would designate a rifle for handfitting because of some variation in the action body, by stamping an A after the original serial number. I'm really wanting to know if you actually have a No4 Mk1/2. Pictures or as much info as you can provide would help greatly.
As for the MAS, it might just be an inspection stamp as I could find nothing about that stamping.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Page 244 of The Lee-Enfiield... By Ian Skennerton says that some BSA  No4's had CC as a prefix.
"However, some CA and CC prefix numbers have been noticed more recently so production extended beyond War Office allocations."
Fazakerley ROF used the A suffix from 48-57 but used the PF. From 44-47 FE, no letter prefix, then A-Z, then AA-AF, all with 4 numbers. I'm wondering if your No4 was a BSA Mk1 converted to a Mk1/2 at Fazakerley during the retrofitting post war to make it like the MkII's.
I just found reference to the A suffix being used by ordnance depot or armourer would designate a rifle for handfitting because of some variation in the action body, by stamping an A after the original serial number. I'm really wanting to know if you actually have a No4 Mk1/2. Pictures or as much info as you can provide would help greatly.
As for the MAS, it might just be an inspection stamp as I could find nothing about that stamping.
View Quote

That would be kinda cool as for the ROF marking that's what the guy behind the counter said it looked like
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
I just looked at that section in Skennerton.  However, unless I'm misreading it, it appears that he's referring to No. 5's, not No. 4's.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
So i looked at the gun today and i saw it very lightly stamped No4 mk1 ROF (F) 5/43 so im guessing fazakerly may 1943 is when it was made. And the had M A L not M A S on the bolt
Top Top