Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2014 7:52:38 PM EDT
Just curious if this is a good price for these. Has anyone gotten any from them (SOG) and if so how do you feel with their accuracy of description. pics?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#1]
wow no orders from these guys? ok so let me broaden it a bit. besides GB, anywhere that has these in stock or gets them at times I should watch for where you feel comfortable with the description on condition? What should I be aware of regarding price range for these, any special factors that would increase, decrease the price?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you looking for RC p38s?non-captured P38s? Postwar p38?

Quick Rough Break down

RC- 400-500

Non Captured 100% matching / correct Finish condition varies - 700+ ( i paid $925 for each of mine.. AC 41 all matching and correct early high polished blue, and a near 100% BYF 1944)

Post War - 350-450

Most surplus sites have RC p38s, or P1s. If you want a more original p38 one has to looks at specialty sites and 3rd party.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm currently looking at an ac42, might regret not jumping on it but another show hits here in December I'll wait to see what shows up there.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm currently looking at an ac42, might regret not jumping on it but another show hits here in December I'll wait to see what shows up there.
View Quote

do your homework before jumping on one so you don't get screwed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quick Rough Break down

RC- 400-500

Non Captured 100% matching / correct Finish condition varies - 700+ ( i paid $925 for each of mine.. AC 41 all matching and correct early high polished blue, and a near 100% BYF 1944)

Post War - 350-450

Most surplus sites have RC p38s, or P1s. If you want a more original p38 one has to looks at specialty sites and 3rd party.

View Quote

I do enjoy seeing your collection, not just good pics but good subjects as well. Wish I had a nice woodpile to use as a backdrop. I'd get a pallet of firewood and make a backdrop but Mom will not give up any garden space in the back yard for it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I do enjoy seeing your collection, not just good pics but good subjects as well. Wish I had a nice woodpile to use as a backdrop. I'd get a pallet of firewood and make a backdrop but Mom will not give up any garden space in the back yard for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quick Rough Break down

RC- 400-500

Post War - 350-450

Thanks, the second picture is actually a photography mat - the 3rd/ 4th pictures are a wonderful piece of  maple i lucked into.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Well...I guess I'm canceling the M44 order :-)

Was at Gander Mountain today and found this little gem for myself. Nice barrel and I can't wait to shoot her. She was packed in cosmoline and I completely took her apart and cleaned it all off. Came with the holster, original mag from the looks of it and then two newer mags that appear to have been made in the late 50's.  :-)

Importer markings are on the inside of the handle so they don't stand out. AC43 so from what I find, this is a walther wartime production of 135k produced. Numbers appear to match, front lower portion of barrel (not pictured) has the same last four digits of the serial stamped across it. Only strange thing is the top slide, it appears perhaps it was a slide from same batch (batch J) but a strike over and restamped. Assuming if this is the case the arsenal would have done it post war, also impressed they pulled one from same batch.

Can't really 100% say but is this a proof stamp on the side of the barrel housing?

dirty bird and proof stamp #359

Interesting, not sure what this zero is for on the ride side just under the slide

AC over the 43, clear 568 proof, upper x and strikeover and restamp above is interesting.

Ended up with a fair deal imo, as I've wanted one of these since first stumbling into collecting a while back, did have one slipup though, I think store clerk recorded their inventory number or something for the serial #. neither he original stamp nor the importers match what they recorded on my register receipt. Did get to use my C&R though :-)

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
nice RC redip RC / force match. 359 is Waffen mark indication of factory Walther

Hows the bore?

Quoted:

Ended up with a fair deal imo,

View Quote

The golden question is how much did you pay.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
nice RC redip RC / force match. 359 is Waffen mark indication of factory Walther

Hows the bore?

View Quote

Bore looks great, it's not mirror shine but the grooves are sharp, hard to snap photos of them.

Price :-) way less than the only other place I've come across them SOG, besides gb and the like. Just over $400 with tax.

Also came with a cleaning kit which is like a plastic hip flask. Pops open and has a plastic oiler, two brushes, one with the brass brush in the middle reminds me to today's bore snacks. The cleaning rod is actually a chain that looks more like a rosery bead chain. Pretty nifty. Figure it's something from 50's.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Just picked one from Wideners and am very happy as a shooter. Was a ac 43.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Price :-) way less than the only other place I've come across them SOG, besides gb and the like. Just over $400 with tax.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hows the bore?

Good price. You paid the going rate for a RC. Nice snag. Remember  std ball 115gr only through these.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Good price. You paid the going rate for a RC. Nice snag. Remember  std ball 115gr only through these.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hows the bore?

Hmm most of mine are 124 or 147 but are fmj practice rounds. glad you pointed that out first im come across that in my reading up about them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Good price for a RC, but what is the holster? If its a wartime P38 holster, you could be talking an extra $150ish.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good price for a RC, but what is the holster? If its a wartime P38 holster, you could be talking an extra $150ish.
View Quote

Well....I like it but im afraid that stamp means it was 1977?? :-( nice keeper anyhow.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:06:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I just started my research on these. From what I can tell that holster looks postwar. Maybe West German Police. Still a good find.

Not to hijack. Are we allowed to post what's it worth or is this a good deal posts on these forums? I have a line on a vets P38 and holster and wanted some input. I don't want break any rules.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not to hijack. Are we allowed to post what's it worth or is this a good deal posts on these forums? I have a line on a vets P38 and holster and wanted some input. I don't want break any rules.
View Quote

its fine - its just looked down upon / not allowed if you are sniffing out a sale (thats what the EE is for ). If you are just looking for information i do not believe its an issue.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#17]
So called vendor this morning and they were about to call me seeing they didn't properly catch the serial number. So they had two other post war ones and likely they may have mixed up holsters they gonna let me pick and choose. So what's the accurate holster for this pistol which I understand is 1943 production? Got pic?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So called vendor this morning and they were about to call me seeing they didn't properly catch the serial number. So they had two other post war ones and likely they may have mixed up holsters they gonna let me pick and choose. So what's the accurate holster for this pistol which I understand is 1943 production? Got pic?
View Quote

basically any world war II era holster would be fine for a RC.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol I was totally expecting you would post a pic seeing you seem to have 2-3 of everything :-)
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lol I was totally expecting you would post a pic seeing you seem to have 2-3 of everything :-)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i don't have many holsters.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#21]
thought i would clue you in - don't use the decocker - manually decock it. As they are hell on earth to replace (difficult) if broken.

Here is some good info.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?336871-Walter-P38-Decocker-Failure
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#22]
124gr is the original bullet weight.

LINK
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

LINK
View Quote

Correct.

However,

loads then are different from modern. Run heavier loads at your own risk. Also they later discovered the slide problem, and increased its thickness in the p1; but then the alloy frame would crack.. and they added a hex bolt reinforcement. So really the gun is not designed for anything hot or heavy. It just can't hold up.

Shooting and collector community (p38 forums, gunboards, here) agree 115gr is the way to go with your p38/p1 with regards to modern commercial factory loads.

No one wants this to happen:

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Correct.

However,

loads then are different from modern. Run heavier loads at your own risk. Also they later discovered the slide problem, and increased its thickness in the p1; but then the alloy frame would crack.. and they added a hex bolt reinforcement. So really the gun is not designed for anything hot or heavy. It just can't hold up.

Shooting and collector community (p38 forums, gunboards, here) agree 115gr is the way to go with your p38/p1 with regards to modern commercial factory loads.

http://pullmanarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Picture-073-e1332849552899.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

Correct.

However,

http://pullmanarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Picture-073-e1332849552899.jpg

Thanks for the links and heads up! I really like that decocker and have cycled it a few times, good to know to stop. I'll be getting to the range soon so pretty sure I got some 115's somewhere. Good thing is I reload so I can make some gentler ones for this pistol.

Wow...guy has quite a collection going on 9mm rounds and boxes. Definitely something for the reference materials!

Yea...I would be upset if I ever broke any of my C&R's.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
who is the importer on the ones SOG got?
View Quote

No idea i got mine local instead for a better price
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I cracked the slide on my AC41 Austria police re-work shooting Winchester white box 115 gr ball.  About as mild as you can get.

Rob
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I cracked the slide on my AC41 Austria police re-work shooting Winchester white box 115 gr ball.  About as mild as you can get.

Rob
View Quote

Who knows what was done before you had it. Could have already been mistreated and the rounds you put through it just put it over the edge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top