Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 9:56:27 AM EDT
I have been looking around gun broker and came accross a nagant revolver. They look pretty decent. Anybody have any experience with these?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep!  Here's my 1941 Tula M1895 Nagant (which is currently up for sale in the C&R EE here).

It's an interesting design, and pretty fun to shoot.  Both commercial and surplus ammo is still available out there.

It fires a 7.62x38R cartridge that is completely encased in the brass, with the bullet sitting below the level of the case mouth, which is tapered:

When the trigger is pulled, the entire cylinder cams forward up against the stepped portion at the rear of the barrel, which partially enters the front of the cylinder and seals against the case mouth.  This removes any cylinder gap and results in a complete gas seal.  When the trigger is released after firing, the cylinder cams rearward to remove the barrel from the cylinder and allow it to rotate freely.

As a result of this unique gas seal with no cylinder gap, the Nagant is one of the only revolvers that can be suppressed effectively.  

(Not mine, unfortunately)

The main downside to the Nagant is that it has a very heavy double action trigger pull, like many milsurp handguns.  But you can manually cock the hammer, and the single action trigger pull is decent.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn, you just made me want to buy one lol. Thanks for the info

Its a good thing i just got my C&R license this week
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I love mine, plenty of ammo available.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I shot several of mine last night at the Halloween night shoot.
In double action they are brutal! Accuracy is rough unless you are point blank.
That being said in single action these things are great and a lot of fun.
Though I preferred shooting the Enfield revolver in .38 S&W

Shoot involved 2 Nagants, Enfield Revolver, P38, PP clone, Garand, and Tavor 9mm
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I like mine, barrel threading and a can are on my future project list.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I like mine, just wish there were more coming in.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Horrible choice for a combat sidearm given the year it was adopted (a real step backwards), quirky fun cheap piece of history though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:11:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Nagant1.jpg

Horrible choice for a combat sidearm given the year it was adopted (a real step backwards), quirky fun cheap piece of history though.
View Quote

Not to mention the anemic cartridge, horrific DA pull, execrable ejector mechanism, single-loading gate, etc...

ETA: not to say that I won't probably get one someday, just to have it
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with the others, they are fun guns to own.  But they aren't kidding about the trigger pull.  Mine is the absolute worst trigger pull of any gun I have ever handled.  Ever.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a '36 Tula (refurb) and I had to hire someone to help with the DA pull.

I rigged-up a poultry scale as a TP scale (it laughed at a regular TP scale) and at went off at about 40 pounds. SA pull was about half that.

Looks really cool and all that but I look at it like the weapon some political Commissar would hand to a failed general so he would not have to go to Moscow and talk to the "boss".

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Bought em cheap and stacked em deep a few years ago when they could be had for $69. Fun little gun. I've got plenty of surplus ammo as well as .32HR magnum to shoot thru it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Love is a strong word, but its a fun little piece. 1941
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Haven't fired it much, but what litle I have, it seems to be fairly accurate.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#15]

I have one. The DA trigger pull is a joke. I shot it DA once for laughs. It's actually pretty pleasant to shoot SA.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Had one.  Interesting historical oddity.  Not really a practical handgun.  Had fun with it for a while, got bored and sold it.  Don't miss it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought one last summer for $160, ONLY because it is a WW2 firearm, its got some history behind it, and they wont make any more of them...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#18]
can you reload for it?  where do you get the brass and bullets?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can, but brass doesn't last long, since it tends to split around the neck.  Prvi and Fiocchi both make new production 7.62x38R ammo with reusable brass, and you can sometimes find new brass from Prvi and Starline.  Or you can make your own from .32-20 brass.  Bullets are standard .32 caliber.

You can also get .32 ACP replacement cylinders for them.  And some folks fire . 32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R Magnum through the original Nagant cylinder, but I wouldn't advise making a habit of it, as reports are that it often results in split cases and leading of the forcing cone. Besides, all of those rounds are right about as expensive as genuine 7.62x38R anyway, so there's little reason to go with them instead.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You can, but brass doesn't last long, since it tends to split around the neck.  Prvi and Fiocchi both make new production 7.62x38R ammo with reusable brass, and you can sometimes find new brass from Prvi and Starline.  Or you can make your own from .32-20 brass.  Bullets are standard .32 caliber.

You can also get .32 ACP replacement cylinders for them.  And some folks fire . 32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R Magnum through the original Nagant cylinder, but I wouldn't advise making a habit of it, as reports are that it often results in split cases and leading of the forcing cone. Besides, all of those rounds are right about as expensive as genuine 7.62x38R anyway, so there's little reason to go with them instead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I reload but on Fiocchi I cut the neck back and it looks like a conventional round when reloaded.  Brass lasts fairly long that way.  .32-20 is ok but you may have to remove some metal from the recoil plate as the brass has a thicker rim.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I was called to an unwanted person sleeping behind a gas station. He said that he was a Polish immigrant and had been shot 18 times during WW2.
To test his story, I asked him what he thought of the Nagant ? He said, " You mean the revolver? Oh it's great for shooting Poles in the back of the head."
I bought him breakfast.

Sorry to derail the thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top