Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 10:19:01 AM EDT
I just picked up my first Arisaka. It's a Type 99, and it's missing the mum, the dust cover, the monopod, and the aircraft sights, but it's in pretty good shape otherwise. The bore looks excellent and the wood only has some minor blemishes look like they've been there for a very long time.

There is a sling on the rifle. It's the rubberized canvas sling, and it's not so great. The rubber is pretty much solid, and the sling has almost no flex. There are four points at which the rubber has broken off revealing the canvas, and those are the only places where the sling flexes at all. Trying to get the rifle into a case was a major pain, and I don't think I want to shoot it with that sling on it.

There's no way to remove that sling as is without completely destroying it. Is there anything I can do to restore some flexibility to the rubber and maybe remove the sling in a graceful manner, or is it toast?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to much luck restoring those but here is a link that may get you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not to much luck restoring those but here is a link that may get you in the right direction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm having a hard time not agreeing with this:

You are fighting a losing battle, the hardening is caused by chemical reaction in the rubber, you can't reverse it; and only cool dark storage may slow it down.

Observe your auto tires, they get cracked and brittle as they age and the rubber de-vulcanizes, nothing you can do to stop it!

I could probably get the sling off the rifle without breaking the canvas, but a lot what's left of the rubber would probably be trashed. Should I just take my time and go for it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#3]
There's no way to restore those slings. On the other hand, legit Arisaka slings are incredibly difficult to find - destroying it would be a shame.

You might be able to heat it gently with a hair dryer and get it flexible enough to remove it. Then set it aside.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I finally got a chance to snap and upload some photos.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Just leave it as is.  I don't think it looks that bad, and at least it's original.  Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just leave it as is.  I don't think it looks that bad, and at least it's original.  Just my $.02.
View Quote

I agree with this
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I could probably get the sling off the rifle without breaking the canvas, but a lot what's left of the rubber would probably be trashed. Should I just take my time and go for it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are fighting a losing battle, the hardening is caused by chemical reaction in the rubber, you can't reverse it; and only cool dark storage may slow it down.

Observe your auto tires, they get cracked and brittle as they age and the rubber de-vulcanizes, nothing you can do to stop it!

Why not?  Because if you do plan on shooting it much....your right its really going to be wrecked then!  looks like its got a stud in the front and once that is pulled a part should be able to gingerly fish it through the stock sling,from what I can see....
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's no way to restore those slings. On the other hand, legit Arisaka slings are incredibly difficult to find - destroying it would be a shame.

You might be able to heat it gently with a hair dryer and get it flexible enough to remove it. Then set it aside.
View Quote

That worked. At least for the front.

The rear sling swivel will stay with the sling.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Would an armor all type product help?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Would an armor all type product help?
View Quote

negative
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Did you find this in Sedalia?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did you find this in Sedalia?
View Quote

No.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top