Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2014 8:23:22 PM EDT
I found myself looking at what seemed like a standard Soviet M91/30, but it had the SA mark on the side of the receiver.

Did the Finns just stamp them when captured, or did they do other stuff to them?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#1]
A few were just simply [SA] stamped and reissued but most have had work done to them including Finn two piece stocks, trigger work, fitting and shimming of the stock and replacing the front sight with a blade.

Also, there can be recaptures where the rifle was recaptured by the Russians and It will have went through the refurb process. All Finn traits will have been removed but the [SA] stamp will remain.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Recaptures are a very tough find and pretty desirable. Did you buy it?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Recapture?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Recapture?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recapture?

A Russian rifle captured by the Finns, then recaptured and reworked by the Russians....
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#5]
There's certain things on a Finn capture 91/30 that will scream at you as Finn, pretty much need pics.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Recapture?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Recapture?
Finns captured the 91/30 from the Ruskies, modified it to finish spec, then at some point the Ruskies captured the gun back from the Finns, and put it back to standard 91/30 spec, but left the [SA] stamp on it.

Edit: dang, jnk556 beat me to the punch!

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have it, but I might be able to get it.

I don't remember seeing anything else odd about it. IIRC, it had the normal 91/30 front sight.

Aside from that, what other features should I be looking for?

How much more valuable are Finnish captures than standard 91/30s?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]
The Finns were very particular about the rifles that they issued to their troops.  Captured rifles were tested before being reissued.  Milspec accuracy for the Finns was it had to shoot 1.5 MOA or better.  Milspec on a Mauser or Garand was 4.0 MOA.  If a captured rifle did not meet spec it was rebarreled.  A Russian rifle with an SA stamp and an original Russian barrel must have passed their specifications.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#10]
If the need was great and/or the rifle shot well, the Finns would press the captured rifle back into service with only the Finnish property mark. (And the need was frequently great)

If the rifle exhibits typical traits of a Russian refurbished rifle (dark, even finish, thick shellac, center pin in the rear sight base, ect.), it is likely a capture/recapture and quite desirable. Not many have been seen, so far. Really, ANY SA marked 91/30 should be considered collectible and I'd start figuring their value at 25-50% over current market for a Russian refurb'd 91/30. Condition, year, maker, and other factors affect the value from there.

Typical Finn-captured unmodified 91/30

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't remember seeing anything else odd about it. IIRC, it had the normal 91/30 front sight.

View Quote

What are they asking?

If we're talking standard 91/30 price, yes, get it immediately.

At much over $200, I'd advise identifying what it is as best you can, so proper value may be determined.

Honestly, I don't think you're getting hurt here, unless it's grossly overpriced.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#12]
i was happy to pay $350 shipped for this original 91/30.. all matching except the butt plate which is only a few digits off. Original finish and features.

To me its easily worth $150 more than your mass imported refurbs.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i was happy to pay $350 shipped for this original 91/30.. all matching except the butt plate which is only a few digits off. Original finish and features.

To me its easily worth $150 more than your mass imported refurbs.

(snip)
View Quote

Excellent photography spax

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Finn marked 91-30's aren't rare , they are the largest batch of imported Finn arms. What can be rare in them is some are original Russian unaltered rifles other than the [SA] stamp from there they range from mild Finn Reworks ( new stocks, stacked front sights etc )  to complete Finn Arsenal refurbs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What are they asking?

At much over $200, I'd advise identifying what it is as best you can, so proper value may be determined.

Honestly, I don't think you're getting hurt here, unless it's grossly overpriced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are they asking?

The circumstances surrounding this rifle are a bit unique, and I haven't discussed pricing yet.

Another concern is that the bore is pretty rough and dark. I'm not sure how well it'd clean up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I own a Finn M91/30. The front sight was replaced and the stock was given finn style sling hooks.

Finn double stack sight vs Soviet Globe sight.

Finn Wire Sling mount.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#17]
This is a re-capture. Finnish SA on a standard refurb with billboard import stamp.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I just picked up another Finn capture. A 1940 Tula, no [SA] and no Finn rework. The only way I can tell or assume its Finn is by the overall look and the Finn trait of last 3 of the serial number stamped on the bolt knob. The mag is also scrubbed and the bold body is miss matched.
Its wearing its original stock and has a well worn look. I'm cleaning and oiling it now so I'll get some pics this weekend. I think its the first time being apart since import. Very cruddy and a few spots of surface rust.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#19]
You don't see too many that have the pot belly stock anymore. Anyone have any pics?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I saw this on armslist and it looked Finn but other than the overall look, it didn't have obvious Finn traits that I could see in the ad.
After meeting and holding the rifle, it was very likely a Finn capture 1940 Tula, looks to be almost all original.  Finns didn't do much to this rifle. Besides the overall look, two Finn traits led me to assume its a Finn, the numbered bolt knob and the scrubbed mag.

No [SA] or D stamps.

It does have this A stamp.

Butt plate matches.

Likely to be its original stock.

Mag is scrubbed and is the only Izhevsk part on this rifle.

Last 3 on the bolt knob told me this was a Finn capture.

Extractor, is this a Finn replacement?

So there it is, another cheap old Russian rifle. I am very pleased only paying $180 for this piece of history.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Great looking rifle lee, nice score for 180 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Here's the other type of "SA" marked 91/30, they used Tikka made barrels.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Got it.

I was worried about the bore because it was dark and gritty the first time I saw it and there was visible green corrosion near the muzzle. I gave it some basic scrubbing, and most of that came right out. It still looks a bit dark, but I can see the rifling, and I bet I can get it cleaner.

Did the Finns SN their rifles like that, or was that the importers doing?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Got it.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k620/Bassgasm1/Gun%20Stuff/FinnCapMosin_zps9ccfece9.jpg
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k620/Bassgasm1/Gun%20Stuff/FinnCapMosinStock_zps0b58421d.jpg
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k620/Bassgasm1/Gun%20Stuff/FinnCapMosinRecleft_zps60dcc57d.jpg
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k620/Bassgasm1/Gun%20Stuff/FinnCapMosinBolt_zpse5b155ae.jpg
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k620/Bassgasm1/Gun%20Stuff/FinnCapMosinRectop_zpsfc79544f.jpg

I was worried about the bore because it was dark and gritty the first time I saw it and there was visible green corrosion near the muzzle. I gave it some basic scrubbing, and most of that came right out. It still looks a bit dark, but I can see the rifling, and I bet I can get it cleaner.

Did the Finns SN their rifles like that, or was that the importers doing?
View Quote

On the receiver - the importer did that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#26]
The importers used to use the rifles original serial number but could not use the Russian letters so they translated them to English and stamped them above. The English serial was then put on the receiver as required by law.

Now they just give the rifle an entirely new serial number in that huge billboard stamp.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#27]
What does the D mean?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What does the D mean?
View Quote

Finn stamp meaning that the throat of the rifle was opened up to allow use of the Finnish D166 round, which had a longer ogive to the bullet than the Russian 54R round.

Basically the Finns could use their 200gr D166 ammo in the captured rifles.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#29]
It means the chamber was modified to accommodate the Finnish D166 round. Which was heavy ball ammo with a 200 grain bullet that clocked about 2300 fps.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Finn stamp meaning that the throat of the rifle was opened up to allow use of the Finnish D166 round, which had a longer ogive to the bullet than the Russian 54R round.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does the D mean?

What does a spam can of that cost?

Does the revised throat effect performance of normal 7.62x54r loads?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does the D mean?

You ain't gonna find a can of D166 ammo
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does the D mean?

I have three Finns to feed.

Remington M91

SA Capture M91/30

VKT M39
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Lee, with the Remington bolt and the way it is stamped, I would say it is a Finn.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lee, with the Remington bolt and the way it is stamped, I would say it is a Finn.
View Quote

I'd be confident saying its definitely a Finn capture.

The bolt is not a Remington, the R on it must be an inspection mark. Every part of this rifle has a Tula star except the bolt head has the Tula Hammer while the extractor is not marked and the mag is an Izhevsk.

Here is the bold body mark.

cleaning rod

sometime what these rifle have makes them interesting, here its what it doesn't have I find cool.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It does have this A stamp.

View Quote

A better pic at a different angle show this is a partial struck [SA] stamp.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#36]
I've a Remington bolt on my M39.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Two of my three Finns....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top