Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2014 5:10:21 PM EDT
I found this Esperanza y Unceta, Guernica made Brunswig Model 1916 "Ruby" today at a local shop. The rear of the two-piece firing pin was broken so I had to make another. Lucky the broken parts were still there. Works just fine now. Decent shape otherwise.

No stars but EU marked on the frame and the chromed mag. Serial 84453. Parts match. Fire and safe stamped in French.

The odd thing there is what looks like Hope and a proof on the barrel. Anyone know why Hope would be on the barrel?  Another meaning perhaps?

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like my Ruby.

Mine was made by another manufacturer, though.

Not unusual, My magazine has the protruding lip formed upward.  Probably a user modification.

Those old .32s were reliable, if not the best hardware around.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Definite French gun, that. The barrel marking is French, too (there's an accent over the e) but what it means I can't decipher. Looks like it's the same font as the SUR marking (safe) on the safety so likely added at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
According to a French website the "hope" was only used on early model until 1927. If the author is right "hope" it's the english translation of the name of the maker "Esperanza" and was used to be better sold abroad.
But I have my doubts as MVolkJ said I'm also reading "hopé" (no meaning in French).

Another one with the hope marking +  PG under a crown: https://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jmfirearmscollection.com%2Farma%2F133&edit-text=&act=url
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top