Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2014 8:57:29 AM EDT
What I'm looking at is a Drilling rifle - made by Sauer - Imported by Charles Daly - 12g over 38-55 (I think).  Damascus barrels, external hammers.

The good - it's pretty clean, no dings, dents, etc.

The bad - the hammer screws have been replaced.  I would need to find somewhere to reproduce them - because what is there doesn't belong - and the chances of finding original replacements is probably impossible

I don't usually like the collect stuff that I can't shoot - so I wanted to run it by the guys in here.

I'm not a reloader (anymore) - so I would be looking for commercial black powder light loads - brass shotgun shells, 38-55, etc.  Any idea where to get that stuff?  I see Buffalo did offer 38-55 and it is backorderable - but I'm having a hard time finding brass shotgun shells.

So for the TLDR crowd -

Where can I get reproduction screws made to replace old unattainable ones?

Where can I get commercial black powder loads of old calibers and or brass shotgun shells?

Should I "pull the trigger" on a turn of the Century Charles Daly Drilling for $1200 (give or take)?

If I make it down there Wednesday - I will get some photos - but for now - it is the same model as this one...

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I would personally pass on that one, and find something a little more modern. Price seems high to me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would personally pass on that one, and find something a little more modern. Price seems high to me.
View Quote

I'll second that. It also looks to have been poorly "refinished".
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If you do decide to buy it Briley makes adapters so that you can shoot 20ga in those old guns, modern loads for 38-55 are not hot, they are loaded to bp velocity.
The Briley adapters go the full length of the barrel and can be custom fit for the gun, they are not cheap.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#4]
You probably already know to inspect Damascus barrels carefully.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I was thinking it was a little too new for me.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top