Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 5:27:43 PM EDT
Well I just picked this old girl up from an estate auction. I thought the metal was to clean to pass up. I was thinking about going with a reproduction stock but have read bad things about them. I know it would be hard to find an original for it but maybe I can find half of one cheap and splice them together. Lol if not i will just make an adapter to attach a collapsible stock and throw a scope on to modernize it..... Thoughts?

I'm joking about the collapsible stock and scope lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Send it to Mossberg.
I hear they are doing wonderful things with lever actions nowadays.

More pics please and thank you
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The only picture that's showing for me is the left side action.

Here's a stock for an 1892, I don't how they differ, but it's shot in the dark.

http://www.ssfirearms.com/products.asp?cat=124&filter=Krag%20rifle%20stock

Pics please, I have an 1898 that's I'm trying to bring back to normal, so I'd like to see more of yours.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow that's even expensive for a repro. Thanks for the link though. I will try to get more pics up tomorrow if I have time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Sporterized Krags are a money pit.  I say either stick in the back of the safe and hope to stumble across a decently priced stock in the future (a very long shot), or try to foist it off on someone else.  Or, you could always hop in your Wayback Machine and not buy it in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Honestly, putting a sported Krag back into original configuration is a waste of effort if you plan on making money on it.
It will cost beaucoup dinero to get all the parts together that will end up
Costing more than an uncut would've to begin with.
If you just want to do it for fun go on ahead. Uncut original stocks are about as common as unicorn teeth.
Just shoot it and enjoy it as is.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#6]
An unmodified "1894" marked Krag is one of the "holy grails" of U.S. military collecting. (Almost all of them were upgraded to the M1896 specs.) Characteristics of the original M1894 were a full-length cleaning rod (with corresponding channel in the stock), a buttstock that was undrilled for the jointed cleaning rod and oiler, and a thin, straight buttplate without the rounded toe. The rear sight, buttplate, and top band are unique to this model.

More pictures showing the rest of the gun, and especially the furniture, would be helpful. If you have the unique metal parts, probably getting a reproduction M1894 stock would be the thing to do. You're never going to find an original, uncut, M1894 stock on the loose.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Call Jim at DuPage Trading.  He should have some parts & stocks.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it still full length or has it been chopped?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#9]
More pics please!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]
The barrel is still full length but I think the wood that is left on it is ether reproduction or has been chopped. Shouldn't it have a longer forearm? Sorry I couldn't get the pics taken today. I've been buried in physics homework. Lol
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]
This interest me.  My mother has a krag.  Not sure on what is original or not.  I am going to have to check it out.  I do know that someone in her family had it drilled and tapped for a scope mount.  And possibly carved their own stock for it.  
Thanks for the information.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#12]
OK sorry it took so long to get these pics, I haven't had much free time at all this week. Sorry the cell phone camera is all I got.
Behold..

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#13]
The stock has been chopped. Do you have a picture of the buttplate?

Depending on what kind of buttplate is on it, you could restore it as an unmodified M1894, or as an M1894 that had been upgraded to the M896 specs. Either way you need a reproduction stock.

The metal is in unaltered, but rusted and pitted, condition. I wouldn't sink too much money in it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The stock has been chopped. Do you have a picture of the buttplate?

Depending on what kind of buttplate is on it, you could restore it as an unmodified M1894, or as an M1894 that had been upgraded to the M896 specs. Either way you need a reproduction stock.

The metal is in unaltered, but rusted and pitted, condition. I wouldn't sink too much money in it.
View Quote

It has the bolt stop and recrowned barrel so it would be a 92/96 at best...which is probably what someone chopped up to make the current configuration. Savages!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#15]
maybe do one of those duffle cut stock repairs (and the front wood to it)?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
maybe do one of those duffle cut stock repairs (and the front wood to it)?
View Quote

That's what I'm thinking of trying with parts from some repop stock. Once I get time...
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:33:43 AM EDT
[#17]
It's an antique, so you can send it to me & I'll make a stock for it.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's an antique, so you can send it to me & I'll make a stock for it.  
View Quote

Only if you can do it in two weeks.... lol
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  It's an antique, so you can send it to me & I'll make a stock for it.  

Now there's a challenge.  But I'm not confident I have enough parts that would fit, and I've not fitted a bolt action before.  Some parts I can get in a few days from my local dealer, but some take a week or more.  If I only had it for two weeks it would be a real rush job, and there might be a lot of square sharp corners.  But you would have the only Krag w/ an AR rifle stock adapter.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#20]
A year or 2 back the CMP had some inop krags they were selling as "krag junk". I can't remember how much they were or what the problem(s) were, but that may be something you want to keep an eye on. Even though you would have to buy the whole thing, you would also get some usable spare parts I imagine. Also there is a old guy who goes to the gun shows where I live that does lots of C&R, mostly krags. I will be stateside next week, thers a gun show at home 1st weekend in Oct., if he's there I will get his info- he may be able to help you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top