Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2014 4:57:18 PM EDT
I’d bought a Mosin sniper rifle a few months ago from AIM, and finally got around to taking it to the range.
I’d shot a Mosin before, but just a few rounds through a buddy’s rifle.

My Mosin shot very well.  Accuracy was good, with a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards, with me causing the 5th round to fly out of the general group. This was with 147 grain surplus ammo.

Trigger pull was decent – you could feel two let off points in the pull, and from then it was a very light pull to fire.
No jams or malfunctions (as if).

Recoil wasn’t bad – I’d compare it to a 12 ga with 1.25 Oz loads.  I’d put a Pachmeyer recoil pad on it, and it soaks up a lot of the kick, plus gives a much better length of pull (for those self-professed he-men who claim there’s no recoil on a Mosin – you can say it’s for that).

The scope was decent, especially for one designed and (made?) 70 years ago.  

The bent bolt really makes it easy to open the action up after a fired round.

After the accuracy sight in work was done, I blasted at 50 yards from prone, kneeing, and offhand, and could keep all the rounds in a small pie plate.  The ammo is about as cheap as .22 LR is nowadays so might as well blast away.

Overall, I’m quite pleased with the rifle.  It’s a neat part of history, from one of history’s most brutal areas of battle, and would have served a Russian quite well on the front.

Quick question – can you use a Promag stock with a sniper version, with the variations from the standard Mosin of the scope mount on the left side, and the bent bolt?  I’d love to put that stock on it, and be able to crank the cheek weld up to get a decent tie in.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:  Quick question – can you use a Promag stock with a sniper version, with the variations from the standard Mosin of the scope mount on the left side, and the bent bolt?  I’d love to put that stock on it, and be able to crank the cheek weld up to get a decent tie in.
View Quote

If you have a Dremel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:42:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it just for the bolt that needs the modifcation?

How much stock materail do you have to remove?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it just for the bolt that needs the modifcation?

How much stock materail do you have to remove?
View Quote

you have to cut out a space for the scope mount on the left side. here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top