Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2014 1:03:42 PM EDT
I have this rifle and I don't know what the value is.  I'm not selling it at this time.  It looks to be in good shape the chamber looks good and the rifling is good but a little frosty.  I never shot this rifle.  The mag well (for lack of the right term) is a little bent but looks like it will not keep the clip from falling free.  All numbers match as far as I can tell.  I was putting the upper barrel band back on and it scratched the stock so I did a little repair with some stain to try to make it less noticeable.  I took a bunch of pictures, please let me know what you think overall about the rifle and it's value.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't see those very often.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice! You don't see too many of those, that's for sure!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice M35. Yours seems to be in pretty good shape. Most of these have poor chambers and bores. The extractor is also a issue on these rifles. Replacement parts are very hard to find for it as well. I see these sell for 800-1200 most of the time. Yours also has the front sight hood which is nice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice M35. Yours seems to be in pretty good shape. Most of these have poor chambers and bores. The extractor is also a issue on these rifles. Replacement parts are very hard to find for it as well. I see these sell for 800-1200 most of the time. Yours also has the front sight hood which is nice.
View Quote

Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I would shoot it if i were you. It shoots the 8x56R. I have always wanted one of these and always wanted to see how well they shoot. If you do shoot it make sure you have the clip that holds the ammo. Most people break the extractor because they don't use the clip and the extractor snaps over the rim of the case. The old ammo is corrosive so make sure its cleaned well. most of these rifles have rough bolt faces due to not being properly cleaned.

The back story on these are that the Hungarians used these in WW2. After the war was over they were given to Yugoslavia as part of a war reparation. They used them for a little bit. Most rifles like yours  have different graffiti marked on the stock. Once they started to upgrade to newer rifles they sold these off, most of these were imported in the US in the 50-60s.  

They are a harder to find rifle but they aren't as collectible as a K98 due to the ammo and difficult to find parts.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I think I have a fore stock for one that is in good shape. Wouldn't mind have a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think I have a fore stock for one that is in good shape. Wouldn't mind have a complete rifle.
View Quote

I would sell the stock and buy a rifle then. There are lots of people that need a stock for there 43ms.  if you have the stock I hear that a m95 long rifle upper hand guard can be modified to fit the the m35/43.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:03:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, very cool rifle, and really pretty rare, not often seen...I lucked into one, a buddy had one on his table across from mine at a show, I had never seen one, didn't even know what it was beyond the roll mark on the receiver, so I knew it was Hungarian...

Being of Hungarian descent myself, I took a look, he had $250 on it, so I figured for that much, I'll take a chance...I didn't realize how scarce they were until I researched it.

The only problem with mine is its missing the bottom sling swivel on the butt, hopefully someday I will find one that fits....

The Hungarians eventually turned the 35M into the 43M which was similiar, but went with a closed box type mag firing 8mm Mauser (7,92mm) instead of the old 8x56R). I have the German version, the G 98/40...I would love to find a 43M!

Bonus with yours is the sight hood, which are even harder to find...a guy named John Wall had a batch of repros made up (which were perfect) so luckily I got in on that and got one before he sold out. Then there is the bayonets...also very rare. Again, unless you stumble acoss one, expect to pay $600 and up for the right bayo!

What part of NY are you in?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, very cool rifle, and really pretty rare, not often seen...I lucked into one, a buddy had one on his table across from mine at a show, I had never seen one, didn't even know what it was beyond the roll mark on the receiver, so I knew it was Hungarian...

Being of Hungarian descent myself, I took a look, he had $250 on it, so I figured for that much, I'll take a chance...I didn't realize how scarce they were until I researched it.

The only problem with mine is its missing the bottom sling swivel on the butt, hopefully someday I will find one that fits....

The Hungarians eventually turned the 35M into the 43M which was similiar, but went with a closed box type mag firing 8mm Mauser (7,92mm) instead of the old 8x56R). I have the German version, the G 98/40...I would love to find a 43M!

Bonus with yours is the sight hood, which are even harder to find...a guy named John Wall had a batch of repros made up (which were perfect) so luckily I got in on that and got one before he sold out. Then there is the bayonets...also very rare. Again, unless you stumble acoss one, expect to pay $600 and up for the right bayo!

What part of NY are you in?
View Quote

Dutchess Co
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Does the buttplate serial number match the one on the left side of the barrel shank? What's the barrel dated?

As others have said before, $800-$1200 is about the typical price for these. At auction they can go for all over the board since they are scarce and desirable, but also pretty niche in terms of who want them.

I've got a 31M and a 43M, so I'm envious of your 35M, lol. I need to complete the set!
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#11]
The condition of yours is very rarely seen as others may chime in. The main reason you won't see many is because many were sporterized and seriously butchered.

I estimate between 600-1200 depending on the condition of the bore and if anything else is included with it.

get the bayonet and other accessories and it will be worth a ton more.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The condition of yours is very rarely seen as others may chime in. The main reason you won't see many is because many were sporterized and seriously butchered.

I estimate between 600-1200 depending on the condition of the bore and if anything else is included with it.

View Quote

I don't know about Europe, but I have thankfully yet to see a sporterized 43M or 35M in the US.

There are a few 35M bayonet variations (43M rifle also accepts a 35M bayonet for those interested), and IIRC they sell for about $150-$300. Not sure on their value, but out of all of the accessories, the slings seem to be the most rare. I don't think i've ever seen a proper Hungarian made sling for a 35M or 43M in person.  An old M.95 sling probably would be acceptable, but those are pretty uncommon too, just less so.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't know about Europe, but I have thankfully yet to see a sporterized 43M or 35M in the US.

There are a few 35M bayonet variations (43M rifle also accepts a 35M bayonet for those interested), and IIRC they sell for about $150-$300. Not sure on their value, but out of all of the accessories, the slings seem to be the most rare. I don't think i've ever seen a proper Hungarian made sling for a 35M or 43M in person.  An old M.95 sling probably would be acceptable, but those are pretty uncommon too, just less so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the 35/43m rifles used the 31m /M95 slings. In WW2 Hungary pretty much used what ever they could could get there hands on. The items ranged from WW1 issued stuff to new production WW2 stuff. They also used German and captured Russian stuff as well.

Most of the 43m rifle have been cut up and made into sporting rifles. These types of rifles are a hard sell at 200-300 bucks. The reason is, that the parts are very expensive and very hard to find. I would estimate that a M43/35 stock set would sell for 600-800 bucks. Thats the stock and the metal. The Hungarian 35/43M,  Danuvia bayo sell for 350 and up, thats depending on condition of the bayo  and frog.
At auction I watched a 31m sell for 850 and a 35m sell for 500. The 35m  are usally pretty beat up  the bolt face and chambers are pitted and the BBLs are in ok shape. These rifles were used hard and put away wet on the eastern front. Alot of the 31/35 extractors are damaged as well, this part is very hard to find and expensive. This is due to people not using the clip when shooting. With the clip the extractor goes under the rim of the round, without the clip the extractor goes over the round and chips the bottom corner of the extractor.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Most of the 35/43m rifles used the 31m /M95 slings. In WW2 Hungary pretty much used what ever they could could get there hands on. The items ranged from WW1 issued stuff to new production WW2 stuff. They also used German and captured Russian stuff as well.

Most of the 43m rifle have been cut up and made into sporting rifles. These types of rifles are a hard sell at 200-300 bucks. The reason is, that the parts are very expensive and very hard to find. I would estimate that a M43/35 stock set would sell for 600-800 bucks. Thats the stock and the metal. The Hungarian 35/43M,  Danuvia bayo sell for 350 and up, thats depending on condition of the bayo  and frog.
At auction I watched a 31m sell for 850 and a 35m sell for 500. The 35m  are usally pretty beat up  the bolt face and chambers are pitted and the BBLs are in ok shape. These rifles were used hard and put away wet on the eastern front. Alot of the 31/35 extractors are damaged as well, this part is very hard to find and expensive. This is due to people not using the clip when shooting. With the clip the extractor goes under the rim of the round, without the clip the extractor goes over the round and chips the bottom corner of the extractor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for he tip about the slings.

Sounds like the market is a little bit different there than here. Complete 31M's with the front sight protectors sell for only about $400 in the US (but are more difficult to find than 35M's and 43M's ironically), less than $300 usually if they are all 31M, but missing the front sight protector. Luckily the 31M bolts are the exact same as M.95 bolts (because they are unmodified M.95 bolts), so a replacement parts aren't impossible to find for them like they are for the 43M and 35M.

edit: A lot of the 43M extractors are also broken because some people single feed by placing the round in the chamber and closing the bolt over it while at the range. Like most rifles of the era with controlled feeding, they are designed to feed from the mag only (some Mausers also have this "problem," but at least for them parts aren't always impossible to come by). A tip though: M.95's (to include 31M's) can be single fed without the extractor breaking. You can place a loose cartridge on the top of the magazine follower and close the bolt over it. If you are doing it right, the rim will slide under the extractor like it does when feeding from a clip loaded in the mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top