User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2014 12:47:15 PM EDT
Who has SCW guns?  Lets see them.
Here are a few of mine.

1926 Izhevsk M91 Dragoon.    

1899 Tula M91 (SCW)

Foremost Tula Ordnance Factory M91 W/SCW stock

This rifle is mysterious.
First off it is a 1922 with a 3 over stamped on the last number of the date. The tang date is 1922.

It has the Dice mark. SCW??

It has a Tula marked barrel, but has an Izhevsk rear sight base.  ???

The bolt is non matching.

The floor plate is lined out and forced matched.

And now for the stock. It is Walnut but not American made. As far as I know the Russians, Finns and the US used tooling to cut the Mosin stocks and inlet them. I have worked with stocks for over 20 years and can tell you, this stock was inflated by hand.

You can see the hand tool marks very good in the action area.

Here is my S.C.W. 1936 Tula 91/30 with a Spanish made handguard.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
My lone SCW rifle is a scrubbed Polish Wz. 29 Mauser.  I used to have several, but ended up trading off all the others.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#2]
great idea for a thread.

Here is mine:

Here is one that is possible? - Time fits.. not import marked and is not SA marked.

Both-

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Not to belabor the thread with a bunch of pics.......

Matching 1936 Tula w/wire hangers.

G98m (modified Gew-98) with Spanish property/refurb mark.

Astra 400 w/holster.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I can add nothing here, except...DAMN nice stuff.  My Astra 400 should be here this week though
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is my first M91. It's a N.E.W. that I picked up for $75 at a gun show back in 2007.

When I got it, it looked like it had spent the last 40 years in a barn.
It was missing the front part of the stock, but it did have what was left of the Spanish flaming bomb stamp on the butt stock and the dice mark on the barrel shank.
It took me just over two years to restore it.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#6]
And for those of you who are wondering just what the hell we're babbling about... The Spanish Civil War  was fought just prior to WW2 (1936-1939).  In addition to various Spanish Mausers that were stockpiled in Spain's arsenals, both sides in the civil war used a wide variety of whatever other rifles they could get their hands on, usually provided by foreign countries who sympathized with their side.  The Right-Wing/Fascist Nationalists received most of their aid from Italy and Germany.  The Left-Wing/Communist Republicans received most of their aid from the Soviet Union, Mexico, and Poland.  So there were plenty of rifles from various sources in circulation during the war, including Spanish Mausers, Soviet Mosin-Nagants, Polish Mausers, Czech Mausers, German Mausers, Mexican Mausers, French Berthiers and Lebels, former Austro-Hungarian Mannlicher rifles, and a number of others.  

These various SCW rifles were collected up by the Nationalists after they won the civil war, and they later sold a number of their unneeded rifles on the US surplus firearm market In the 1950s and 1960s,  Most of these SCW rifles don't have import marks, or have non-standard import marks, because they were imported prior to the 1968 Gun Control Act that standardized import markings.  And many of them will have noticeable signs of Republican or Nationalist Spanish use.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I have just these three.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:59:31 AM EDT
[#8]
M91:

91/30 That I suspect is a SCW, but it might also be a Russian rifle that simply escaped being refurbishment (with Finn 91/30):

There is no stamp anywhere on the rifle that indicates ownership by the Spanish or Finns, nor does it appear to be Balkan. There is no import mark, either. It falls within the known SN range for SCW rifles.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is an add from Guns Magazine 1959  Mosin 91/30
These were SCW Mosins.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#10]
it still amazing to me that some of these "cheap" Russian rifles imported from the 1950s are still here and in about the same condition.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#11]
They were "cheap" rifles and bubba treated many as such. Now they demand more than your average refurb. Bubba is treating the current refurbs as "cheap" and chopping, refinishing and drilling and tapping them. In 50 years what will they be worth if they are in the same condition as when imported?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top