Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2014 5:49:55 PM EDT
I've been really trying hard not to, but I keep researching them and finding myself tempted to order a polish p64. Only thing holding me back is having to adopt another caliber (hate) and the nasty billboard import stamp. At $250 or so, are these still a good bargain? Whose got one that can sway me in or out?
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
save you money for a cz 82. P64 for -150 yes.. p64 for 250 no.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 3:38:24 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, I ordered one.  I am kicking myself that I didn't 2 years ago when they were around $160 but this is the first time any vendors had them in stock in quite a while and the GB prices were stupid money.  Maybe $240 is the new normal, maybe I paid too much, and maybe they wont be around again for a while and then will be $300 ???

As said above however, if you don't have one grab a cz82.  It's a much better gun and I believe it is still cheaper.  Another fun little gun is the cz50 in .32 (bout $200).
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I hated mine and couldn't wait to dump it. Very clunky and uncomfortable to shoot for me. I very seldom sell pistols but that one had to go. I love my 82s and 3s though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 4:59:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked one up for $165 back when they first hit.

Put in some new Wolff springs that made the DA trigger more tolerable, and got the SA down to an amazing 2.5 lbs.  Also put in a bit stiffer recoil spring that helped with it's STOUT recoil some.
Be aware that the new Wolff recoil spring will need to have its ends squared and tapered or the pistol will be almost impossible to assemble/disassemble.

It's actually surprisingly accurate, and like all things Radom, well made.

It's not a pistol that I would shoot more than 50 rounds at a session out of though.

Like I said, the recoil is STOUT.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 5:14:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Put in some new Wolff springs that made the DA trigger more tolerable, and got the SA down to an amazing 2.5 lbs.  Also put in a bit stiffer recoil spring that helped with it's STOUT recoil some.
Be aware that the new Wolff recoil spring will need to have its ends squared and tapered or the pistol will be almost impossible to assemble/disassemble.

It's not a pistol that I would shoot more than 50 rounds at a session out of though.

View Quote

That screen name reminds me of the very first IL2 over at the old SimHq
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#6]
brother owns one.. sister gave it to him for free. Rough recoil, rough trigger, bites like a bitch. Like i said.. you would do much better at the current price point with a cz 82.

Quoted:
FWIW, I ordered one.  I am kicking myself that I didn't 2 years ago when they were around $160 but this is the first time any vendors had them in stock in quite a while and the GB prices were stupid money.  Maybe $240 is the new normal, maybe I paid too much, and maybe they wont be around again for a while and then will be $300 ???

As said above however, if you don't have one grab a cz82.  It's a much better gun and I believe it is still cheaper.  Another fun little gun is the cz50 in .32 (bout $200).
View Quote

+1, even the cz 50 / 70 are better; in .32. I paid 200 for a NIB + extras from aim for a cz 70. Not as fine as a walther (its a pp clone) but its worlds better than a p64. Don't get me wrong the p64 will fire and its reliable.. but its a torture device on your hand. With the cz 80 just slightly larger it makes the perfect CCW budget gun.

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 6:32:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

i was gonna say almost the same thing.

one thing to add though. i cut a heavy duty inner tube and put it around the grip to help fill it out a bit. really helped with the recoil.
ive never had a single malfunction with it, with the exception of one bad round of brown bear ammo.

saying all that, for more than $200 i wouldnt get one. also mags are rare at best.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I like mine. Its hard on the hand but the accuracy was a pleasant surprise.

Marschal makes some beautiful wood grips for these as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I like that cz 70. I didn't think they were c&r?
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like mine. Its hard on the hand but the accuracy was a pleasant surprise.

Marschal makes some beautiful wood grips for these as well.
View Quote

+1

I like the one I have also, This one came from IO 5 or 6 years ago I payed $200.00 for it however it was a hand pick for condition (excellent) and year (68)

The CZ82 is a nice car/plinking pistol but to large for me to carry, the little Polish 64 is a very nice carry pistol that wont let you down.

If I did not have this one I would order a hand pick from AIM in a NY minute. The 9x18 Mak round is way more effective than the 32 cal CZ70 in a life or death situation.
I will gladly accept the extra recoil.

HDH.

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#11]
the price point is what bothers me 240-250 before shipping + 80-100 for grips + 10-15 for springs.

For that money buy a pp.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That screen name reminds me of the very first IL2 over at the old SimHq
View Quote

That's because it was me.

Still at it too...

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one and hate it. Ran like crap out of the box, went with a full Wolf spring kit and then it was doing light strikes and doubling....yeah it just sits in my safe and never sees the light of day.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a P-64 and unlike a lot of the other people on here I like it...  Maybe not as well as my Bulgarian Makarov or my CZ-82...  but it isn't bad.  Yes, the recoil is a little stout and the double action trigger is a little heavy...  but it does shoot fairly accurately and like anything I've encountered made at the (11) Radom plant, the fit and finish is good.  All that said, I'm glad I bought mine while they were plentiful at the big wholesale dealers and prices hadn't run up because $250 is maybe a little too steep.

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#15]
To reiterate my position, I bought one as a piece in a collection.  240 may be too much for some, but I think it is what it is and the price will likely climb (if I thought it was a truly bad deal, I wouldn't have bought it).  Also, if you have the disposable income and want a compact 9mm ish handgun for plinking/fun, then go for it.  It has faults, but it works; and lets be honest, you can buy a new gun in the 240 range and it will have faults AND not work reliably.  With that logic, why not buy it because you have a gun that works and has some history behind it?  First choices would be a cz82 or 50, but if you like the look, style, or history of the p64 go for it (or the standard ARFCOM answer, get one of each).
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I had one and really did not care for it over my E.G. Makarov as far as a shooter went and we parted ways quickly. I could not argue about the fit and finish though.

Like the OP says you don't get much in the way of fit, finish, and blued steel for $250.00 these days.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
the price point is what bothers me 240-250 before shipping + 80-100 for grips + 10-15 for springs.

For that money buy a pp.
View Quote

Come on Spax, where can you find a nice Walther PP for $250.00 ??? Lets get real Bro. I'm not saying it cant be done just hard to find. I payed $240. (OTD) for this one back in 2005.

I like both but I've found the P64 to be more reliable and the 9mm Mak round harder hitting

5 years from now when these pistols can't be found they will be going for $500. Count on it.

HDH.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Had a look at PP and PPK prices lately?

Pretty shocking really.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Had a look at PP and PPK prices lately?

Pretty shocking really.
View Quote

Hell, look at Nagant revolvers.  Just two years ago they were 90 dollar guns.  Now you cant find them outside auction sites, and there for 250+
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#20]
.380 Manurhin PP and holster for $275.00 OTD from a local pawn shop a couple of weeks ago.

.380 Walther PP for $45.00 a few years  at a yard sale.

That said Walther prices (the pre-S&W Walthers in particular) have really gone up.

As for the Manurhin if I sold the grips and the Manurhin marked mags I could pay for the pistol. In fact I took the factory grips off and put a set of wood on so I would not damage them. They are going for $75.00+ these days with the mags going for around $100.00 each.

Heck I remember when Manurhin Walthers could be had for half the price of a "German" Walther. No more.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#21]
"German" ones still bring more, but not the same delta as when you picked up yours.

Sadly in my area these "bargain"  PP series never come up.

I keep looking though.  I really want a PPK/S in 32 before the prices become too obscene.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I like my P64. Pocket size with a safety, all steel and 9x18 is a decent round. Not something I'd put 1000 rounds through in a weekend, but a surprisingly accurate little pistol, especially after you get used to the trigger.

As a shooter, I'd take the CZ82 over it, sure, but it's kinda like suggesting a minivan to someone who's considering a subcompact.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Guys i wasn't saying a PP normally is 250.. i said after you add the $$ for grips etc you are getting close to PP money.

I guess the fact that the p64 was just 100-160 a few years back is still fresh in my mind and i just can't justify 250+ for what it is.

Especially when m&p shields brand new in the box in 9mm / 40 s&w are going for 50$ more ...

Also we should ask the OP what is intended purpose for this purchase.. if its just a range gun.. then this is all a moot point.

Link Posted: 5/25/2014 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Guys i wasn't saying a PP normally is 250.. i said after you add the $$ for grips etc you are getting close to PP money.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5524/11439391704_a86c7737a9_b.jpg

I guess the fact that the p64 was just 100-160 a few years back is still fresh in my mind and i just can't justify 250+ for what it is.

Especially when m&p shields brand new in the box in 9mm / 40 s&w are going for 50$ more ...

Also we should ask the OP what is intended purpose for this purchase.. if its just a range gun.. then this is all a moot point.

View Quote

Would be a range toy. I have a P938 that would probably fit the carry bill better. Also a shield and xds. Purely a range and relic oddity.
Still on the fence.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#25]
if its a range toy.. buy a mak, or a P83, or a cz 82.. all better options in that cailber for range fun. Speaking from experiance here. I can see the appeal for the p64 for a budget Carry.. but not for a pleasure cruise at the range; and especially not at 250+; and its almost a no brainier with that hideous billboard.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
if its a range toy.. buy a mak, or a P83, or a cz 82.. all better options in that cailber for range fun. Speaking from experiance here. I can see the appeal for the p64 for a budget Carry.. but not for a pleasure cruise at the range; and especially not at 250+; and its almost a no brainier with that hideous billboard.
View Quote

I would buy all of those...  and did except the CZ-83...  But...  I bought back when they were cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Had one shot it sold it, regret buying it dont regret selling it. The trigger (DA) is beyond bad and the felt recoil is terrible. Save your money, find Makarov...
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, you guys made me research CZ-82s.  I did end up ordering one of those online and also one of those FEG PP clones from AIM.  When I went to do the paperwork on the FEG as it's not C&R, the LGS did have a P64 in stock.  I checked it out.  For some reason, I am still very intrigued by that little gun.  I like how it looks, it felt decent, the horrors of the double action weren't even that bad (yes, it's heavy...but everyone makes it seem impossible to pull), and the single action seemed nice for what it is.  They wanted way too much ($300...ugh...) which is unfortunate since this one had the non-billboard import, but I'm still debating on calling up Classic on that little bad boy and trying one for myself.    Figure it'd be $245 shipped with a 5% coupon.    Suppose I could do worse.  We'll see, as I have to let my grips off a few others that are sitting here before I jump on anything else.  The recent C&R/Milsurp shopping extravaganza is forcing my hand to sell a few non-milsurp items that haven't been getting any use.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#29]
It's the same old story with C&R stuff, everyone thinks it's too expensive then 5 years later it seems dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought a VG condition P64 from a LGS for $150 a few years ago. It was a handful to shoot and the slide was too close to cutting my hand. They make grips that extend out like a beavertail to prevent this, but I didn't want to invest too much into it. The CZ-82 is the best option for a comfortable mak caliber pistol, but the P64 is a neat firearm and easily concealable if someone wanted a small surplus gun for that purpose.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes, and some wood grips too
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, you guys made me research CZ-82s.  I did end up ordering one of those online and also one of those FEG PP clones from AIM.  When I went to do the paperwork on the FEG as it's not C&R, the LGS did have a P64 in stock.  I checked it out.  For some reason, I am still very intrigued by that little gun.  I like how it looks, it felt decent, the horrors of the double action weren't even that bad (yes, it's heavy...but everyone makes it seem impossible to pull), and the single action seemed nice for what it is.  They wanted way too much ($300...ugh...) which is unfortunate since this one had the non-billboard import, but I'm still debating on calling up Classic on that little bad boy and trying one for myself.    Figure it'd be $245 shipped with a 5% coupon.    Suppose I could do worse.  We'll see, as I have to let my grips off a few others that are sitting here before I jump on anything else.  The recent C&R/Milsurp shopping extravaganza is forcing my hand to sell a few non-milsurp items that haven't been getting any use.
View Quote

I would see if your LGS would go 275 (start by askin if they will do 250).
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's the same old story with C&R stuff, everyone thinks it's too expensive then 5 years later it seems dirt cheap.
View Quote

That's why you've got to get it ASAP...  if you might ever want it, buy it before they dry up and prices get silly.

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Classic dropped them another 10. That's 234 to the door. Getting closer.  I've been watching their stock and noticed they haven't moved much over the past few days. I was anticipating a drop. Wonder if another discount will be around the corner...

They say the "excellent" came from a different importer. Anyone know who imported each batch and where the stamp is? Keep trying to call them but miss business hours.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Love my P-64 !!!! One of my first purchases using my C&R Bought it here in the EE section for 135.00 shipped. Came with Wolf springs already installed Just today I sent out a payment for Zee Grips, 24 bucks. He is well known over on P-64 Resource forums. http://www.p64resource.com/ This gun is scary accurate and a GREAT CCW piece !!!
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:49:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Yes you should.  

The only concerns with it are even after the spring kit my DA trigger is still very heavy.  SA is fantastic.  Also, it isn't drop safe.

The one post that said their firearm was unreliable... you should take that information and use it, but I think it is not representative of these pistols.  They are very reliable in my experience.

Right now it is my slimmest firearm I have to carry.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I like mine. However I don't usually carry both of them..

I need to refinish the metal. Its getting some good wear.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top