Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/6/2012 11:07:21 AM EDT
Just thought I'd share one the projects I'm working on off and on.

She is made from two 91/30 receivers which were torch cut, ground to dimension and then re assembled with the use of a tig welder and a jig.

Her barrel is around 4.5 inches (less than 2 inches of riffling) and is threaded to AK specification.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#1]
One is left to wonder, and ask the question... Why?
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I would counter by saying "This is America.... Land of 'Because I felt like it'"

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Because.

OP, you're one of my favorite posters. MOAR!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
OMG!! That is sooooo full of WIN!!!!!

I bet thats gonna sound like an air strike when you set it off!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The question is, does it have to be registered as a flamethrower?  Can't wait for videos of first night firing.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
what's the eye relief on that scope.  make sure you hold this thing tight or you will have a nice ring around your eye :)

other than that - WANT!

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Since it was torch cut and rewelded, is it now pistol receiver?
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would counter by saying "This is America.... Land of 'Because I felt like it'"

700wtf

agreed

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Since it was torch cut and rewelded, is it now pistol receiver?

I'm certainly no expert on these things, but the legality of a rifle with a 4.5" barrel was the first thing that came to my mind. Can it be SBR'd?

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Torch cut to Batfe specs makes it a non gun. Since it no longer exists, you weld it back together and it has never been built as a rifle.

At least that's what I think he is going for. Not too sure of the legality
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Torch cut to Batfe specs makes it a non gun. Since it no longer exists, you weld it back together and it has never been built as a rifle.

Wet dream.

The pictured firearm is illegal and violates the Gun Control Act of 68 and probably NFA34.

The forum moderator should not condone such posts by allowing it to stay.

Dutch
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Two rifles were demilled per BATFE regulations with multiple passes of an oxy acetylene torch through the receivers, each pass destroying 1/4 inch or more of material..

This turned what had previously been rifles into unregulated scrap.

The unregulated scrap pieces were then used to fabricate a virgin firearm receiver for personal use (once again, as per the BATFE regulations on homebuilt firearms)

The virgin receiver was mated with a 4.5 inch barrel and stuck in a 'mares leg' style grip which the BATFE has ruled "Not a stock'

This created a lawful title 1 bolt action pistol.

This is no different than re-welding a torch cut AK receiver into a pistol, re-welding those BREN parts kits into a semi auto etc.

If de-milling and  re-welding can be used on former machine gun receivers, It certainly can be used on bolt action rifles.

You're welcome to disagree of course, but the BATFE rulings on this have been very clear.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wet dream.

The pictured firearm is illegal and violates the Gun Control Act of 68 and probably NFA34.

Dutch

I agree.

Vecause there's no such thing as a reweld.

At all.

Never been done before.

right?
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wet dream.

Dutch

Wrong.
That reciever stopped existing as a firearm the minute it was demilled.
Same as any other demill. It's scrap in the eyes of the ATF. From there it is perfectly legal to build a pistol from the 'scrap'

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wet dream.

Dutch

Wrong.
Same as any other demill. It's scrap in the eyes of the ATF. From there it is perfectly legal to build a pistol from the 'scrap'

That is not exactly true. The ATF has said that in the past but they have also gone after rewelded receivers as well. MK specialties comes to mind .

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#17]
The MK rewelds were dissalowed because they were re welded as MG receivers and THEN converted to semi

Other m14 rewelds have been ruled as a-ok
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Regardless of the bickering over the legality of the build THAT THING IS SICK!!.

However I truly wonder if it can be safely shot without launching it into ones forehead??

BTW nice looking Broomhandle
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#19]
It has zero recoil, just a massive concissive blast)

Part of that is due to the amd65 brake, but for the most part it is because the barrel is so short most of the powder burns outside of the gun.

I have a design for a barrel accessory which should turn the blast into a fire vortex (it is a cup shaped attachment held on by the amd65 brake, that can be filled with coffee creamer to allow it to be ignited by the muzzle blast.  ) The shape should allow it to send a ring of fire downrange

It's a lot of mill work though so its a lower priority than the grip frame and other components.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#20]
This is the Curio and Relic forum, not the Bubba and Sons Of Guns forum.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Your scope is on sideways.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I did that so I could adjust it with my left hand while  (I'm a right handed pistol shooter)

On a standard cross-hair I don't think it should be a problem right?

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Know what that reminds me of?

Otini!

http://www.harlan-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/001.jpg

http://www.lesjones.com/www/images/posts/JawaNewOct2006b.jpg

Also, when I first opened this page I just saw that broomhandle sitting on the table and panicked, thinking you were going to chop up one of those. *Phew*
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Otini!

Also, when I first opened this page I just saw that broomhandle sitting on the table and panicked, thinking you were going to chop up one of those. *Phew*

Funny you should think of that ;)

I just happen to have an enfield receiver sitting in my bedroom closet.... I'm still finishing up the Jig for welding that one ;)
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm looking for pics of the fireball, but they don't seem to be loading...

very creative work, OP.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Otini!

Funny you should think of that ;)

I just happen to have an enfield receiver sitting in my bedroom closet.... I'm still finishing up the Jig for welding that one ;)

BITCHEN!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wet dream.

Dutch

Wrong.

That is not exactly true. The ATF has said that in the past but they have also gone after rewelded receivers as well. MK specialties comes to mind .

In the case of former machine gun receivers, denial pins or some other modification to auto portions of the receiver must be modified BEFORE the reweld.
It matters to the ATF the order in which you do a reweld. It's silly I know.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did that so I could adjust it with my left hand while  (I'm a right handed pistol shooter)

On a standard cross-hair I don't think it should be a problem right?

Your adjustments are going to be bass ackwards but once your get it sighted in it should be fine. Just looked half assed like that IMO.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#30]
OP, while it might not be my cup of tea, I admire your skills.
These types of threads bring out a lot of numb skulls though who think they know the laws or think your thread doesnt belong here.
Dont worry about the haters, they're just mad cause they dont have your skills.  Post more pics as you make more modifications.
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
These types of threads bring out a lot of numb skulls though who think they know the laws or think your thread doesnt belong here.
Dont worry about the haters, they're just mad cause they dont have your skills.  Post more pics as you make more modifications.

No worries,

I just hope by putting this out in the world people get to see the possibilities opened up by demilling/re-welding

a lot of things that used to be strictly SBR territory can be made to happen, even in states like CA which have some rather onerous restrictions on such things.

Link Posted: 8/8/2012 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well, since you brought this up.......

The firearm in question really isn't C&R eligible anymore so, in fact, it IS posted in the wrong section.  (Curio & Relics)

Wasn't one of those things I felt strongly enough to nit-pick over, but now that it came up, I'll throw it out there.
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries,

I just hope by putting this out in the world people get to see the possibilities opened up by demilling/re-welding

a lot of things that used to be strictly SBR territory can be made to happen, even in states like CA which have some rather onerous restrictions on such things.

The only possibility I can think of is how bad it would fail, should I be the one re-welding.

I have no illusions of being able to reconstitute a torch-cut receiver myself. Damn nice work you did of it, though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, since you brought this up.......

The firearm in question really isn't C&R eligible anymore so, in fact, it IS posted in the wrong section.  (Curio & Relics)

Wasn't one of those things I felt strongly enough to nit-pick over, but now that it came up, I'll throw it out there.

haha, this is very true... Its inspired by a historical weapon (the obrez and the c96)  and built from cut up parts from former C&R.... but not a C&R in and of itself.... I don't know exactly what forum this would be best suited for.... it doesn't fit well into traditional classes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#36]
That is just wrong.... but so cool!
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#37]

People told me there were Enfields in Star Wars and I could never work out where!

Link Posted: 8/9/2012 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No one forced you screwheads to click on this thread.

Awesome pistola. Not my cup of tea, but it looks fun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#40]
I actually really like the idea. The Remington Xp-100 was a cool but short lived weapon for places that have handgun hunting. This is a DIY of the same(rifle cartridge) idea.
If I had tig welding skills and a tig welder I'd probably try it. Good use for a "gunsmith special"
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Do you happen to have the demil requirements for a bolt action receiver and any details on your jig that you would share?
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I borrowed the jig from a friend who is an 07ffl... It was simple  a round dowel with a block the shape of the magwell held by bolts...

The de-mill was three passes at an angle with the oxy torch ....

There is a letter outlining the process, I don't have it handy however
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wet dream.

Dutch

And we should not condone unconstitutional laws that violate the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Went and played with this today....
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 5:31:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55J3drYA3O0

Went and played with this today....

For the love of God...

PLEASE...

Buy, beg, borrow, or steal a Casio EX-F1 camera from somebody, and record the Cockweasle being fired at 1200 frames per second.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#49]
That looks like more fun than my M38. I want one!
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#50]
I like it , I bought a bubbed Mosin and we did this

The MK receivers  welded as semis .  My brother lost about $500 on one of those
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top