Author
Posted: 3/26/2012 3:00:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/26/2012 3:02:41 PM EST by 1srelluc]
I picked up this 1951 Romanian UMC CUGIR Single Shot .22 Trainer the other day. It's no light-weight at 8.5 pounds with a 26" heavy tapered barrel.

I took it down to my range this morning. To be honest I should have waited as the wind was really humping along at 30-35 mph but what the heck, a windy morning of shooting is better than no morning of shooting.

I suspect the weapon will do much better on a calmer day as it's a joy to shoot with a trigger pull a bit under 1 pound. I used 40gr Wolf Match in it. It has a built-in bullet guide so it's easy to load. Just drop the round in and close the bolt.

Given the conditions and my old eyes I'm OK with the results for now.

I ordered a 4 X 32 EER rifle scope for it. I already had a set of Warne medium 1" steel rings that fit the grooves that the rear sight mounts on perfectly. I suspect it will really shine with a scope mounted on it.

Bottom target is 25 yards.
Senator....Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
TX_Metal
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/27/2012 3:25:54 AM EST
Nice shooting, and man great looking little 22.
Where did you find it, and how much if you don't mind me asking.
Fourays2
Browning Hi-Power, the side arm of the free world
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/27/2012 1:34:20 PM EST
very nice, I have the more common 5 shot pencil barrel version and it too is a quality piece
1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual
yipykyah_mf
Just a fly in the ointment
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/27/2012 6:24:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By Fourays2:
very nice, I have the more common 5 shot pencil barrel version and it too is a quality piece

If you don't mind, who is dealing these rifles?
So. How's that Hope and Change workin' for ya'???
Fourays2
Browning Hi-Power, the side arm of the free world
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/28/2012 4:43:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By yipykyah_mf:
Originally Posted By Fourays2:

If you don't mind, who is dealing these rifles?

they were all over the place a few years ago, I got mine from J&G in AZ and it was $55 for a hand select I think. I think they're all on the 2ndary market now so check the EE and backpage or whatever your local version is.
1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual
1srelluc
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/28/2012 1:28:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/28/2012 1:36:40 PM EST by 1srelluc]
Originally Posted By TX_Metal:
Nice shooting, and man great looking little 22.
Where did you find it, and how much if you don't mind me asking.

There is a small shop in my town that has a bunch of .22 target rifles of various flavors. Mostly BSAs, Parker-Hales, Anshultz, and Russian. They are only open on Saturday and don't do net sales. A real honey-hole but when they sell-out they will close their doors. The owner passed.

I gave $150.00 for the UMC and figured I got a bargain as most of these single-shots were very ragged both inside and out.

I looked over several back when they were first imported at the shows (before I had a C&R) and darn near every one I looked at had either a hogged-out chamber and/or ringed bore or chamber. Every one had peened chamber faces from dry-firing. Some did not even have rear sights. I'm glad I waited and snagged a good one I could lay my hands on.

If you ever come across a complete one you really need to check it for the warts I mentioned before you buy. I don't think I would buy one sight unseen.

If the creek don't rise I'm picking up either a German pre-war BSW Model 317 or a Russian CM-2 there this week.
In true ARFCOM fashion I might just lay both .22s away.

BTW.....The 5-shot Romanian M-69s are going for around $150.00 in my area now. I used to own several but have sold all them off save one over the years. They shoot well enough if you can get them to feed right but I never considered them much of a much for some reason.

Senator....Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining