Posted: 7/4/2017 9:25:12 AM EDT
Looking for a .22 bolt gun for my son who is making
good one?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Ruger American Rimfire.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Just get a 10/22 and he'll keep it forever. You can put one round at a time in the magazine in the beginning...

cap
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Much depends on your budget, of course, and on your son's size.

If you can find a CZ 452 Scout in stock anywhere, it has a 12" LOP and will deliver a lifetime of accuracy.  It's not a "kid's rifle"--it's a darn good rifle in a youth-sized stock.  And they're often seen with very nice wood, to boot.
There's a newer Scout--the 455, I think--but I don't like the look of the sights.  It's a taste thing, though.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#4]
How's the Cricket?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Marlins are always a good choice IMO. The xt22 bolt action has either tube or clip magazines. Or the semi auto model 60 or 795
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger American Rimfire.
View Quote
I have a Ruger American Rimfire Compact and Ruger 10/22 LITE and my daughter has a Ruger 10/22 Compact.

She enjoys all of them, especially with a Spectre II or Silent-SR on the end.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I would look for a good condition used Remington or Winchester single shot. Had a Winchester 67 as a teenager and it was a very accurate little rifle
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]
If it's his very first gun, get him something new, so it'll always be HIS gun. Also, make it something he will keep for life. Just my opinion.

The Ruger American rimfires are really nice, considering their price point. If it were me, I'd get him one of those and stick a nice wood stock on it.
n/m, it's already available with a nice wooden stock: http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/americanRimfireWood/specSheets/8329.html
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#9]
With a bit of searching you can usually find one of the old classic I mentioned for about $125-150. A friend of mine recently got a Remington bolt action 511 from an elderly neighbor for $50
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just get a 10/22 and he'll keep upgrade it forever.
cap
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:32:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Much depends on your budget, of course, and on your son's size.

If you can find a CZ 452 Scout in stock anywhere, it has a 12" LOP and will deliver a lifetime of accuracy.  It's not a "kid's rifle"--it's a darn good rifle in a youth-sized stock.  And they're often seen with very nice wood, to boot.
There's a newer Scout--the 455, I think--but I don't like the look of the sights.  It's a taste thing, though.  YMMV.
View Quote
+2 on the CZ Scout.
Scouts use single,5 and 10 round magazines.
Oldest daughter has one and loves it.
Middle daughter has a Ruger american compact but want a CZ like the older sister.
It is bigger and heavier than the CZ.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I chose a Savage Mark II GY (youth model) to teach my grandkids with.  Under $200, and I've been happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I got my son a Henry youth lever action when he was about 7.
Nice little rifle.
I even bought myself one shortly after.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Savage Mark 1 G, a single shot that used to be called the Cub.

He can use it for the rest of his life as a starter, garden, utility, plinker, trap line, survival, loan it to good friends, teach another to shoot, hand it down to his kid.  It weighs nothing and it's accurate.  Remember it is his, and you can't borrow it.

It even has the Accutrigger.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for the CZ 452 Scout if you can find one.  People seem to really like them in a full size stock too.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Why not a .17?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I love my CZ bolt gun, I would go there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Check out a m&p 15-22.My  son was a bit small when I started  him,  so the colapassable  stock grew perfectly  with him.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:18:05 AM EDT
[#19]
If I was getting a 22 rifle for a kid, I'd seriously look at the CZ 455 scout youth rifle.  You can later on swap the stock out to a bigger stock when the kid gets bigger.  You can also swap the barrel out and even caliber.  They are 300 dollars and CZ makes quality rifles.  That is a rifle the kid could use for a lifetime.  The CZ magazines are quality magazines.

I'd also consider the Ruger 22 American bolt rifle with the stock that you can adjust again so when the kid gets bigger the kid can keep the rifle.  The rifle uses Ruger 10/22 magazines which are good quality magazines and if you've already got a 10/22 that is one less part you have to buy.  Ruger Americans have use a good drilled and tapped receiver for scope bases instead of the more common dovetail receiver on rifles like the Marlin 60 and even CZ 455.  There are models with threaded barrels.  The triggers on the Ruger Americans are adjustable like a Savage accutrigger.

I like Ruger 10/22's but I think a bolt action rifle is easier for a younger child to clear and keep safe than a semi auto 22 rifle.  Less malfunctions also for a young child to mess with.  I'd probably also stay away from a tube fed 22 rifle because I think a box magazine fed is easier for a child to learn to clear and make safe.  In time other types of actions, like 10/22's can be learned.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:00:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ruger American Rimfire.
View Quote
Yep.  It has a lot going for it.  All reports I've seen say they have pretty good accuracy, short bolt lift to easily clear a scope, and a modular stock that has a module with a higher comb if you use a scope.  Uses 10/22 mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top