Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2017 8:40:58 PM EDT
I've had this project in mind since I put my original MOD1 together in 2005. I never really liked the options I knew about so I shelved the idea. I did have a spare brake and collar new in wrap and a flat top upper so I had a start.  

Fast forward to earlier this year and Boltcarrier had the stripped KAC lowers.   I picked one up with a vague notion that I'd do a Mk12, a Mk18, a .300 blk or what I built today.  A FFRAS came up on arfcom for a decent price, and two months ago I caught wind that Compass Lake Engineering would do a Mk12 profiled .22 rimfire barrel and VOILA!  

I have a set of ARMS 22 rings arriving in the morning and a Leupold Mk4 2.5-8x36 coming Saturday. Pics will follow. The Krylon and Rustoleum texture coat paint job will probably have to wait until next time I'm home. So will accuracy testing.

I got most of my smalls from Brownells.  A vise and receiver hitch mounting plate from Harbor Freight, a torque wrench from AutoZone and a vise block from Midway wrapped up the tools needed.  I used a stock trigger for now and went with a B5 stock kit. I did use a Sierra Precision grip as on my 'real' MOD1.  This being my first complete ( putting barrel on, torquing it, etc) it went almost flawlessly. I didn't lose any springs, detents or anything.  I did have to cut a small section of a finish nail to put in the grip hole for the selector lever spring because it was too deep to apply good pressure on the detent.  The upper receiver insert for the vise block wasn't made for a rimfire barrel so I had to Dremel the ejection port cover detent notch bigger to allow everything to fit together while in the vise. I'll post pics of my vise setup and block mod tomorrow.  Any questions, shoot.

Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Plain awesome
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
With paint and scope/rings.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Some initial ammo testing at 25 yards.  Top right is from clean cold bore.  Top left is second 5 shots. Bottom left is third 5(or 10, can't remember)shots. Bottom right is fourth group of 5 or 10. Center is fifth group of 5. Center low is sisth group of 11. First 5 groups are CCI std velocity 40 grain. Center low group of 11 is Aguila Sniper Subsonic 60 grain. At this distance it shoots the same trajectory as the 40 grain load.  The CCI is noted at 1070. The Aguila is somewhere in the mid 900s. I used to know but forgot and it isn't marked on the box.  More testing after August 10

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Mods needed to be done to upper receiver inner block to allow ejection port door to close with .22 barrel in upper receiver as the .22 barrel comes into the upper further than the 5.56 barrel does.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice

Dan
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:47:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow I love that. I may get a .22 kit for my mod 0 just to try it haha. That’s so cool
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 1:16:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow I love that. I may get a .22 kit for my mod 0 just to try it haha. That’s so cool
View Quote
Mine is a dedicated .22 built around a Douglas barrel.   From what I've gathered accuracy with a drop in kit will be so-so.  This thing is a curved laser, so to speak.  For grins and plinking a kit would most likely be fine.  For small groups I'd build a dedicated upper.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Mine is a dedicated .22 built around a Douglas barrel.   From what I've gathered accuracy with a drop in kit will be so-so.  This thing is a curved laser, so to speak.  For grins and plinking a kit would most likely be fine.  For small groups I'd build a dedicated upper.
View Quote
Absolutely, I just want to see how I like it before I clone it! (Clone the clone!)
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Absolutely, I just want to see how I like it before I clone it! (Clone the clone!)
View Quote
??  And mine is a clone of a clone!
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 1:19:39 AM EDT
[#10]
How long was the wait for the barrel?
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How long was the wait for the barrel?
View Quote
They quoted something like 6-8 weeks but I ordered it May 4th this year and got a shipping notification June 1st so just about 4 weeks.  This was for a Mk12 profiled Douglas 1-16 dedicated barrel, bolt assembly, single loading device and 2 M261 magazine inserts.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They quoted something like 6-8 weeks but I ordered it May 4th this year and got a shipping notification June 1st so just about 4 weeks.  This was for a Mk12 profiled Douglas 1-16 dedicated barrel, bolt assembly, single loading device and 2 M261 magazine inserts.
View Quote
Cool. I'm ordering the same thing, just a little shorter.

On the phone, they quoted around 3 weeks. On an email they quoted 4-6 weeks. I just started week 5, so I'm still well within the website quote of 6-8 weeks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#13]
My CLE 22LR kit shipped today, which makes it 6 weeks. I should be getting it next week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top