Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2017 3:49:12 PM EDT
I wanted a 10/22 bullpup just because. I looked at a lot of stocks and didn’t feel like spending the money on a HTA, CBPR or ZK-22. Besides I didn’t want to have to take the sights off every time I took it apart for cleaning.
I already had a 10/22 that I made tacticool. It had a UTG 10/22 rail and I had previously threaded the barrel. The gun holds zero well with the UTG rail, so I decided to make my own bullpup stock that didn’t require extensive disassembly. I had already cut the factory stock at the barrel band and left that part secured in the forward part of the UTG rail so disassembly was via the one action screw.

This is what I wound up with after an entertaining weekend project.

I decided to modify the original stock and fabricate a trigger mechanism. I thought about using a cable linkage etc. but decided that simple is good, and made a simple trigger bar out of 3/16 steel rod I had. Some bending and hammering in a vise got me the basic shape of what I wanted and showed me it would work. I added a nylon bushing to the trigger end of the bar (30 cents) to help with the pull, and a trigger shoe from the parts box to the trigger end.

I then started in the stock. I cut the butt off at the wrist and cut a notch in the stock to slide the  butt onto the end of the stock to be screwed and epoxied. The butt pad was already on the gun and was a spare FAL butt pad.
The new pistol grip is three pieces of 3/8” plywood cut to shape,  and then glued together. After some time with the belt sander and file I got what I wanted.

I routed a simple slot in the side on the ejection port side of the stock with my Dremel and a carving bit. A router would have made this less time consuming.

I epoxied and screwed the stock and grip parts together. Using blue painters tape as a dam, I filled the gaps with liquid epoxy and let it set.

After the epoxy dried some more sanding and filing. I then coated the stock with texture paint and then coated that with satin medium gray. I should have used bedliner but was out and didn’t want to go to the store.

After assembly I used some Kydex I had to cover the trigger bar slot and the original trigger and screwed those to the stock. The factory safety is easily accessible. This way I only have to remove the Kydex to take the trigger bar out and get the action out of the stock. So far I have function tested it and after a 100 rounds it works perfectly. Accuracy is what it was before. The OAL of the gun without flash suppressor is 28”. Trigger pull is acceptable and I would compare it to a brand new stock AR trigger. I probably will continue to tinker and see what it’s capable of.

This is the finished result.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#3]
That is some great backyard engineering!  Well done!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:40:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:34:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I wish I knew where to take it to see if it could be reproduced. This is the simplest bullpup stock got a 10/22 I've seen. It looks like it would be very simple to mold out of zytel or whatever. Since the stock is only three pieces I imagine it would only retail for around $100. I'd be rich!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#6]
NICE!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top