Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2017 5:59:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Used the ap-74 a few years ago at an apples seed was ok but higher rate of jamming then a ruger 10/22
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to have an AP80, wish I still did.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I always thought those were neat. Too bad they went out of business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxeoJcdbKt8
View Quote
They reopened under the name Feather USA, but I think the owners smoked waaay too much crack when it came to deciding on pricing:

Feather USA
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Had an AP-15, looked exactly like the A1 style AP-74 in the picture above. Earlier version maybe? Still said Armi-jaeger on the receiver(IIRC on the carry handle).
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually, the AP-15 was later than the AP-74...the AP-15 was from the late 80's after a product designation revision when mitchell arms took over the import. Still the same manufacturer, just different model name. One possible explanation for the change was the fact that the AP74 was on the named list for banned weapons in the California AWB list. Correct me if I am wrong, though....
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Actually, the AP-15 was later than the AP-74...the AP-15 was from the late 80's after a product designation revision when mitchell arms took over the import. Still the same manufacturer, just different model name. One possible explanation for the change was the fact that the AP74 was on the named list for banned weapons in the California AWB list. Correct me if I am wrong, though....
View Quote
Makes sense. In any case, mine was broken when I got it. Guy I got it from had decided to remove and reinstall the barrel for whatever reason, and forgot to take out the bolt. broke the extractor. Even 22 years ago, parts were unobtainium. In any case, he ended up wanting it back, and made an extractor. Believe it or not, he had a guy offer him a 77/22 for it. Took the deal and the guy he traded with was absolutely thrilled. 77/22s were bringing about $575 at the time, AP-15s, more like $199.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Had an AP-74.  Bought it around 79 or 80.  Ran the crap out of that thing.  I pretty much wore it out.  

Fun gun when it worked.  Could be finicky.  Average accuracy.  Kind of fragile, made out of pot metal for the most part.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:28:14 AM EDT
[#11]
When I was young and stupid, I had an AP-80 AK that I eventually sold.  It was a hit or miss thing with cheap ammo that I could afford and like an idiot, I sold it.  I would love to find one again but even if I did, the magazine prices are pretty insane these days.  I had a buddy of mine that had an AP-74 (M-16A1 clone) that I also thought was pretty cool but these days, I one-upped that design by building my own quasi-dedicated .22 LR AR-15 with old A1 surplus parts and a CMMG conversion kit that has been a decent performer.  Another .22 I've always wanted to get my hands on was one of the old Bingham PPS-50 rifles.  I always though the old PPSh-41 look was extremely cool.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:52:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#14]
A long time ago one of my friends had one of those PPS guns and it would fire when you pulled the trigger and again when you let off.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've got an AP-74 that I've had for over 15 years and love taking it out and shooting it but it may end up on the chopping block along with its 6 mags due to shift in firearm priorities.  I have 3 of the PPS-50's and all of them are the older import models compared to the ones that came in recently and are being sold.  These are an absolute hoot to shoot with the 50rnd BDM drum mags and a Post-86 sear.  Look up full auto PPS-50 on YouTube...I think his name is "tsmgshooter" and has videos with Post-86 sears for .22's and other guns.
View Quote
1. Where the HELL did you find 6 mags for one of those without buying 6 rifles and 2. Decide on a price.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Another one I remember from my youth was the American 180.  That was an odd looking duck in hat it was bottom ejection with a 177 round drum on top of the receiver Lewis gun style. Ian on Forgotten Weapons had one of the full auto versions and that thing seemed like it would be a hoot to use for gopher hunting! ??
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Forgot another one I had.  The Iver Johnson/Erma M-1 carbine look-a-like.  It was a reasonable facsimile of the real deal.  Fussy, average accuracy, needed to be kept very clean and therein lay the problem.  Field stripping that thing was not for the faint of heart.  It had roughly three times more parts that it should have.  What looked like the receiver was actually a cover for the trigger guard, which is where all the parts lived.  Once that was removed (about a four step process) one had to handle the remaining part with care.  Assorted bits and pieces were known to fall out and disappear.  The sear spring was notorious for this.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#21]
That's it.  If anything the drawing simplifies it.  

The feed lips on the magazine were sharp enough to draw blood.  The sear plunger spring was prone to falling out and disappearing.  The screw holding the rear sight always worked loose.

All in all not a very good design.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Forgot another one I had.  The Iver Johnson/Erma M-1 carbine look-a-like.  It was a reasonable facsimile of the real deal.  Fussy, average accuracy, needed to be kept very clean and therein lay the problem.  Field stripping that thing was not for the faint of heart.  It had roughly three times more parts that it should have.  What looked like the receiver was actually a cover for the trigger guard, which is where all the parts lived.  Once that was removed (about a four step process) one had to handle the remaining part with care.  Assorted bits and pieces were known to fall out and disappear.  The sear spring was notorious for this.
http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/beemanem1.jpg

Does not look like fun.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/EM1Chart.png

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/Ermaleftsidechart.png
I have had one of those Erma M1 carbines since I was 14. Killed a lot of rabbits with it back in the day. All I did was field strip it occasionally, still runs well.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Missing the rear sight.  Very common with those things.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top