Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2017 11:46:18 PM EDT
How many of you folks not use this?

My previous setup was a Hogue overmolded stock with a GM 18" fluted bull barrel and it was a tack driver with SK or Wolf match ammo at 50 yds.  Switched to the Magpul Hunter X 22 and the groups go erratic with all five different ammo at my disposal.  Sliding a dollar bill between the barrel and barrel tray showed the tray was making contact in the front and rear areas.  Removed it, and now there is consistency and likes the Federal automatch though the groups are not as great as before.  SK/Wolf still under performing.  Oh well.

For aesthetic reasons, I may try to sand down the contact points from the tray. 

Update - rear was the v-block for the dollar bill.  So not an issue there.
Dremeled the rib in the front and now barrel makes no contact.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I really liked the look of the X22 stock. Till I shot it.

Same thing happened here with my er Shaw barreled 10/22.

Went back to the hogue. And stared shooting ragged hole groups again.

This has also been discussed on rimfire Central. I'm of the opinion the X22 stock sucks for accuracy. The hogue is much better.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought the Magpul stock on sale during the winter and sold the Hogue there after.  Too late to swap it back.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I think there was some kind of unannounced change in the stock, I bought one new last month and it came with an insert for the barrel tray that appears to cause contact with the barrel? I don't know, there are no instructions for its use, it was just in a plastic bag stapled to the instruction sheet. That being said, my 10/22 Target barrel is completely free floated in the stock (used the dollar bill test).
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Dollar bill test identified this problem on mine.  I had to dremel the forward rib to get free floating.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a reason why Tony Kidd's $1,000 SuperGrade rifle comes in this stock.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Could you let us know what that reason is?

Apparently shooters are not getting great accuracy from it..
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could you let us know what that reason is?

Apparently shooters are not getting great accuracy from it..
View Quote
It turns out my receiver didn't fit in the stock well, the barrel would actually flop around with the stock bolt fully tightened. So I took it to my gunsmith, he said he had to mill out a high spot in the stock and he bedded it. It's perfect now, maybe I'll get to take it out and shoot it this week. I bet I'll get great accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I put the X22 on mine when I installed my Kidd LW barrel. This is my 5 shot 50 yard target with federal automatch from rest. I have not tested it to see if it is fully floated.

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the Hogue and Magpul.
Now granted both of my rifles have sporter bbls and I use the bull bbl side of the hunter tray.
But I find the Hogue to be too flexible on the forend and too thick in the wrist. I have to be really conscious of my finger to not drag wood.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:58:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the insight.

I have 2 10/22' a standard and a take down and I was trying to settle on a stock. Have a SilencerCo Sparrow II in NFA jail that I hope you get in Nov or so.
Have already stocked up on mainly Gemtec Subs for it, with a few other misc boxes of subs.

The take down is a lite model, and I am waiting on the slick new Magpul stock for that one.
For my standard, I'm thinking of going with a Tac-Sol barrel, and the standard Magpul stock.
Now I know what you look for when assembling it.

When you get it out, let us know how it shoots!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Just checked mine. 10/22 X22 stock with Kidd LW barrel and it is free floated all the way back. The very end does not touch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top