Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2017 7:49:01 PM EDT
Are the recent Remington made guns any good? I learned to shoot on one of older 22" barreled models and no other semi auto 22 has ever measured up to it. Wondering if the new ones are still the great rifles I remember them being.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You should be able to find an older one at the pawn shops easy enough.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should be able to find an older one at the pawn shops easy enough.
View Quote
Except that I can't.  Row upon row of 10/22s, which is nothing I'm interested in.

So the question remains.  How do the new ones compare to the older ones?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Shame we're not in the same state, my dad loves selling & trading older .22 rifles, usually picks them up cheap at flea markets or yard sales, cleaning them up and shooting them for a while before selling them at a profit. last time we went shooting he had an older Marlin 60 that had some engraving on the stock that shot well, and he called me earlier this week tot ell me he bought a rusty 60 at a yard sale for 5 bucks, when he got it home the inside & bore were well oiled & rust free. I know this is the 3rd Marlin 60 he's picked up in a year.

I like the Marlin for the same reason, longer barrel. if you're not interested in aftermarket upgrades then the $50 you'll save over the 10/22 is quite a bit when you're looking at $160 vs $210.

But I don't know anyone who has a 60 that's less than 30 years old. If you don't get any answers here, try the rimfirecentral forum.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a stainless model I picked up at Walmart about 12-15 yrs ago.

It's a great rifle, shoots well. it has killed a few squirrels out hunting.

I like the bolt hold open and front fiber sight compared to my dad's much older mod 60.

It's not as smooth as my dad's, but it doesn't have nearly the round count either.

The stock sucks compared to the older ones, but that is par for the course on any budget gun that has wood.

Pressed checkering and so forth, purely cosmetic.

Being that it doesn't have a threaded barrel, it doesn't come out of the safe very much any more.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one I bought a few years ago, I have added some upgrades, metal trigger guard, fiber optic sights, and Boyd thumbhole  stock.  It shot great right from the factory though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Kentucky 795 and its been great, no better or worse than my newer Connecticut marlins.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a new one and it is fine, no complaints.  Very accurate.  My only gripe is the awful trigger, but I fixed that by having the KAT trigger installed.

I would think the holy grail would be an older one with the 18 round magazine and the LSHO -- there is some sweet spot where you got both of those features.  But my new one is fine, just would like the extra 4 rounds in the tube.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top