Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2017 4:17:03 PM EDT
Does anyone else have this problem?

About 2-3 times per magazine (25rds) the bolt will not push the next round fully into the throat of the barrel.  The same issue has been happening with Aguila SE and federal bulk.  

Is this a spring issue or ammo issue?  I have a KIDD LW bull barrel on it.  I'm hoping that has nothing to do with the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

gun in question:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the face of the barrel for a little ding where the firing pin could hit it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check the face of the barrel for a little ding where the firing pin could hit it.
View Quote

Ok, I'll take a look.  Are you hinting that the barrel could be mated with the reciever wrong / too deep or crooked?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Kidd barrels have tight chambers.

Other than that, check to see if your barrel is aligned correctly. Look at the extractor as it goes in its slot while you slowly close the bolt.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ok, I'll take a look.  Are you hinting that the barrel could be mated with the reciever wrong / too deep or crooked?
View Quote
Could be the firing pin is too long as well.  It'd look like the mark at 12 O'clock here above the chamber.  A small burr can throw things off.

Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Kidd barrels have tight chambers.

Other than that, check to see if your barrel is aligned correctly. Look at the extractor as it goes in its slot while you slowly close the bolt.
View Quote

the tight chamber might be the cause and makes sense...  it happens with all different kinds of ammo.  I literally have to manually push the bolt forward to seat the round.

When I mated the new barrel, I made absolute sure the extractor aligned with the slot too so i dont think it's that.

I'll look when i get home from work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Could be the firing pin is too long as well.  It'd look like the mark at 12 O'clock here above the chamber.  A small burr can throw things off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/GLG20/buckmark.jpg
View Quote

I'll also check that when i get home.. thanks.

i do have an aftermarket VQ firing pin in the ruger bolt...
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Check for scraping down one side of the brass too. If the receiver hole wasn't aligned well the rim might be pressing against the rim recess and the side of the chamber all the way in.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#8]
How doe the regular 10rd rotary mags work.  25rd mags have been known to cause issues too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Carbon buildup in chamber?  Have you brushed out the chamber really well?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Custom barrel needs better ammo.

Quoted:
Does anyone else have this problem?

About 2-3 times per magazine (25rds) the bolt will not push the next round fully into the throat of the barrel.  The same issue has been happening with Aguila SE and federal bulk.  

Is this a spring issue or ammo issue?  I have a KIDD LW bull barrel on it.  I'm hoping that has nothing to do with the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

gun in question:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/360538/IMG-0486-157449.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#11]
This usually happens to my suppressed 10/22 after a few hundred rounds.  I usually pull the barrel to clean it good.  I'll probably drill a hole in the rear of the receiver so it is easier to scrub the chamber.

Quoted:
Carbon buildup in chamber?  Have you brushed out the chamber really well?
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't find link/pics from rimfirecentral.com, but take a segment of a 3 piece cleaning rod, put .22 brush on it and bend base of brush 90 degrees.  Then you can just put it in through the ejection port and scrub the chamber.

Ultimately drilling the receiver is the way to go, but even then you have to take it off the stock to clean the chamber.  If you make a chamber brush it makes it super easy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can't find link/pics from rimfirecentral.com, but take a segment of a 3 piece cleaning rod, put .22 brush on it and bend base of brush 90 degrees.  Then you can just put it in through the ejection port and scrub the chamber.

Ultimately drilling the receiver is the way to go, but even then you have to take it off the stock to clean the chamber.  If you make a chamber brush it makes it super easy.
View Quote
+2 on bending a brush.
I carry one with me on my green mountain barrel.

One thing to check is if the stock is pushing the mags one way or another.
Had to open my stock a bit to get the mags to drop free and no pressure on them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm going to do this.  Thanks for the tip.  

It's GOT to be build up because the rifle ran flawless first couple hundred rds or so.

I'll try to report back in after I get a chance to shoot it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top