Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2017 4:49:50 PM EDT
The title says it all, what is the best .22lr rifle under 150$? This will be a squirrel gun and plinker. Semi auto or bolt actions are preferable. I know about the savage 64f, marlin model60/795, any others???

Thanks Collin
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 10/22 TD and I'm still dying to get a Marlin Model 60. I hear nothing but great things about them and they appear to be crazy-accurate for the money.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah most gun shops are practically giving away model 60's, find an inexpensive one and get it. I own a few 10/22's but have always loved the model 60 and found it to be more accurate out of the box. For under 150 its a great choice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that if you chase the sales a 10/22 is about in your budget. The basic gun is useable but not spetacular . It's great strength is a whole industry of aftermarket stuff to make it a very suitable gun for most any rimfire task.

I would recomend either teck sights for irons or a optic along with improvements to the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think that if you chase the sales a 10/22 is about in your budget. The basic gun is useable but not spetacular . It's great strength is a whole industry of aftermarket stuff to make it a very suitable gun for most any rimfire task.

I would recomend either teck sights for irons or a optic along with improvements to the trigger.
View Quote

Romanian M1969 .22 Trainer.

$100 or so for a nice one and it'll shoot extremely well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the Marlin 795 myself becuase of magazines vs the model 60 tube mag. Never had any issues with any of mine and all are very accurate.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

where are they in stock??
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AIM did have some recently I believe.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Another couple options.

Savage A22 new offering not a long track record.

Mossberg Plinksters sometimes can be bought for $99 on sale.

Might buy a Mossberg for grins to see what it can do and use as a bullet hose to properly dispose of ammo I am not in love with accuracy wise and really don't want to put wear and tear on one of my good 22's to use it up. Never know might stumble into one that shoots crap ammo into .25in groups at 50yds . I wish!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all of the awesome replies, I have decided on the Savage MK iii its 147$ at my loca Walmart and there is even a 30$ rebate on them now. The next question is, what is the best small game ammo on the market today?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

AIM did have some recently I believe.
View Quote

Guy on the phone said its been years.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for all of the awesome replies, I have decided on the Savage MK iii its 147$ at my loca Walmart and there is even a 30$ rebate on them now. The next question is, what is the best small game ammo on the market today?
View Quote

If I had to pick one 22 round I'd pick Winchester 42gr Powermax subsonic.  

Super quiet when suppressed, pretty accurate in all my rifles,  and made some pretty awesome kills with it.  

2ND choice. CCI std velocity rnl.   Accurate, quiet in a can, with the tips squared off into a swc it's a pretty good killer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Marlin Model 60 or the bolt action equivalent.  Especially, an older gently used one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watch gunbroker.com
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:10:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Marlin 795
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Under $150? Definitely the Marlin Mod. 60. Classic rifle, accurate and reliable.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:18:18 AM EDT
[#17]
+1 For the model 60, got mine for $120 on black Friday at Walmart in 2015. I went to the hobby shop and bought brass tubing and cut it to hold a full tube worth of ammo for the marlin 60.  Add some caps from the hardware store and you have a poor man's speed loader.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Romanian M69
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Romanian M69
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Romanian M69

That is "in stock" , yes.

But under $150, no.

Seller wants too much for that rifle. The reserve is set higher than it's value.

If there's one thing I hate about gunbroker, it's the opening bidding under the sellers reserve price. Frigging stupid.

ETA- they come they go. If you're looking for something particular, check gunbroker frequently. I've snagged some good deals by being diligent.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But under $150, no.

Seller wants too much for that rifle. The reserve is set higher than it's value.

If there's one thing I hate about gunbroker, it's the opening bidding under the sellers reserve price. Frigging stupid.

ETA- they come they go. If you're looking for something particular, check gunbroker frequently. I've snagged some good deals by being diligent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Romanian M69

But under $150, no.

I know it sucks, but it was the only one i could find.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:25:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Model 60 might not be as sexy as a 10/22, but my brother's an I never wore the one ,we shared, out. I think it was cleaned once a decade. I know I cleaned it twice and only when it was so jammed with carbon it wouldn't cycle correctly.  Not even exaggerating.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#22]
My Dad collects older .22 long guns and has an older Marlin 60, it's a solid design and his is above average in terms of accuracy. Our local Academy Sports regularly carries them for $160.

If you don't plan to do any upgrades, out of the box I'd go with a Marlin 60 over a 10/22. Not everyone likes the tube feed but you'll never lose it or have to buy more if $$$ is a factor.

Reports on that new Savage 22A are pretty good though, and usually Savage packs a lot in to a small price tag with other rifles, I'd give that a close look before buying.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#23]
anything Marlin or Savage at your local pawnshop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top