Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2017 5:06:03 PM EDT
I bought a 10/22 takedown stainless and took it to the range for the first time Friday.
Out of the box a 25 yards it was 6 inches high and 3 inches left.
The rear sight was obviously drifted way left so I tried to bump it right gently with the wood handle of a small hammer and the sight jumped to the right.
It was so loose I easily removed it with my fingers.
So I gave the front sight a push with my finger and the front sight came out easily by hand as well.

So I'm shopping iron sights.

Any suggestions? I'll be using this for plinking and maybe Steel Challenge.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with tech sights. Used off the EE.  If they had been Nodak sights I would have gotten them also.

I've never had any issues with them retaining zero after rifle  being broken down.  Have killed many many squirrels, few Coons, and a couple of possums.   Also was deadly on Mallow cream pumpkin candies at 50yds.

Also added a BX trigger and recently a threaded barrel.

I haven't shot it with the new barrel yet.  But hopefully Sunday
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:11:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I bought a 10/22 takedown stainless and took it to the range for the first time Friday.
The rear sight was obviously drifted way left so I tried to bump it right gently with the wood handle of a small hammer and the sight jumped to the right.
So I gave the front sight a push with my finger and the front sight came out easily by hand as well.

View Quote

I bought my daughter one for Christmas from Grabagun and it was exactly the same as you describe.  Both sights loose in their dovetails.  

Remove sights, take a center punch and hammer, and punch a divot in the bottom middle of each dovetail.  Make the divot deep enough that it raises a very small rim upwards, and it will take the slop out of your sights when you replace them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
For plinking and steel challenge matches, you may like Skinner peep sights. They're not made for extreme precision, but are very fast on target and durable.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#5]
My sights were way off too.  I didn't see if they were loose.  Just put the gun back in the safe and figured maybe I'd sell it since I don't need the takedown aspect and prefer the wood stock anyway.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#6]
My old 10/22 adores it's 3x $30 Simmons scope. If I stacked all the dead woodchucks end to end..
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the Nodsk sights with the full length pic rail. Great sight and easy to adjust. None are dead on accurate.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Well , thats's Ruger for you.

Sights suck,trigger sucks,mag release sucks,bolt hold open sucks and so forth.

Great project but not much of a out of the box gun.

Don't get me wrong , I like them , first gun I ever bought. To give you a idea when that was it was the local hardware store and it was $99.

Guess I have 5 or so now and I have given at least one away to a friends kid
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Put a set of a Williams Fire Sights on the factory takedown barrel.
The rear "just" clears the tension collar.
It all lives in a Magpul Hunter stock.

Also bought a Volquartzen light weight barrel and forend with a Vortex Venom red dot.
I'll sight them in a tomorrow morning and put the lightweight barrel and red dot thru the paces of our local Steel Challenge.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Vortex Venom red dot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:37:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm jealous.

Back when I first got into firearms my first purchase was a 10/22. I had a bitch of a time getting that rear sight off so I could install my Archangel Nomad stock.

Now they just fall right off

Techsights are nice
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm trying to decide between Tech Sights and NDS for my Takedown.
Sights have been my main gripe about the gun.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#13]
we spent 15 minutes trying to figure out why the Eotech wasn't locking into our stock pica tinny rail yesterday, but then realized the rail wasn't screwed in tightly from the factory. Fixed that and just went ape shit. Bought the rifle from my buddy that afternoon after seeing how much fun it was and how quickly you could run it on steel. my local range only allows 22 in rifles, so all my fancy AR stuff doesn't matter there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:52:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm trying to decide between Tech Sights and NDS for my Takedown.
Sights have been my main gripe about the gun.
View Quote

Don't both the Tech Sights and the NDS mount to the receiver?

I put a Williams Fire sight set on my stock 10/22 Takedown barrel. The rear sight extends over the lockup tension nut and just barely clears it without touching.

I posted this in another 10/22 takedown thread.--

Any set up with the take down where you have the rear sight or optic not mounted directly to the barrel will be inherently inaccurate.
The Volquartsen Take down Lite barrel is incredibly accurate with the optic mounted to the barrel also the stiff aluminum fore end makes no contact with the barrel except at the receiver end mount. Bipod mounts will not flex the barrel.
The only issue is cost. You can buy another 10/22 for the price.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Don't both the Tech Sights and the NDS mount to the receiver?

I posted this in another 10/22 takedown thread.--

Any set up with the take down where you have the rear sight or optic not mounted directly to the barrel will be inherently inaccurate.
View Quote

For an aperture sight to work properly with the human eye the aperture should be as close to the eye as possible. Increased depth of field (being able to have the front post and target in focus at the same time). Parralax free targeting. Guess everyone's eyes and needs are different but for me I will take a properly fit up aperture sight over any type of open blade sight.  The tightening of my groups more than make up for any slight POI impact the TD mechanism for me which in my experience is maybe 1/4" at most at 50.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#16]
My point is...

With the takedown.

Every time you disassemble the rifle the sights will be off when you put it back together.
For accuracy to be its best with the takedown any receiver mounted sight will not be ideal. Adequate for plinking? Sure.
Hunting small critters? Maybe, maybe not.  

So if you only see 1/4 shift at 50 after reassembly and you're happy with that, great.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I have no issues with my TD/tech sights.  I've taken it down and put it together countless times.

If I have a 1/4 in variation at 50yds I wouldn't know.  That's slightly larger than the width of a 22 bullet.

My TD isn't for matches it's for hunting, plinking and fun.  

I've made some spectacular shots with my TD/tech sight set up.  And can't think of any misses on game that weren't 100% my fault.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I have vortex venom on mine, light and fast.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I just picked up one of these

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/specSheets/11112.html

Is there enough clearance for the front sight to work with threaded barrels or would there be an issue?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I mounted a barrel mounted Skinner sight set on my TD and put a low, Picatinny rail on the receiver to hold a rimfire scope in Warne QD mounts. As long as the barrel is tight, it doesn't seem to significantly effect the zero when taken down and reassembled.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Put a set of a Williams Fire Sights on the factory takedown barrel.
The rear "just" clears the tension collar.
It all lives in a Magpul Hunter stock.
View Quote

My Ruger 10/22 Takedown came with a similar type of fiber optic sight arrangement from the factory. Those sights are fully adjustable. I just can't see the issue others are having.        

Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top