BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2017 1:04:11 PM EDT
old metal or new polymer?
why?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple 10/22s with both and to be honest I cannot tell a difference when shooting.
They both have Volquartsen hammers and the polymer housing works as good as the metal one.
But desirable? Yes, most would go with metal.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both.  They both function equally well and can be up-graded, but I wouldn't pay a premium just to have another 10-22 with a metal housing.  Just my worthless opinion.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
This is from brimstone gunsmithing.    We often get statements from customers complaining about the new 'plastic' groups, but truth be told, these groups are vastly higher quality than the old aluminum ones. We've got a complete article on the subject elsewhere, but in short these groups are much more precisely made, smoother, and more durable than the older aluminum. As an example, the newer poly groups cost as much for Ruger to manufacture as the older metal housings, but they need to have much fewer of them on hand since they are so much more precisely made. This all translates in a much higher quality trigger feel after we are done working on them.   link
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Having gone around with different approaches to the 10/22 trigger I can say with confidence that I would buy a Kidd or Volquartsen trigger group and be done with it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Kidd recommends the poly housing. Poly will flex. Case aluminum will bend and or crack.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:07:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Having gone around with different approaches to the 10/22 trigger I can say with confidence that I would buy a Kidd or Volquartsen trigger group and be done with it.
View Quote

Got my Volquartsen trigger group about 3 years ago on clearance.  They run closeout sales periodically for a significant savings.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a BX and tried it and immediately bought five more. For the $$$ they are the best deal. I mine form midway on sale, I see them at cdnn on sale also.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#8]
A local Gunshop was going out of sale and I picked up a complete Timney trigger group for $100. It was a damn good deal. I say leave your trigger stock, by the BX group on sale or ante up for a Kidd or like trigger group.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends on what you plan on doing with your trigger.  If you are upgrading to a Kidd trigger don't worry about it, if your are upgrading to a Kidd drop in trigger stay with poly trigger as they recommend it over the metal. The BX trigger is pretty good and is in my daughter's 10\22.  Kidd drop in is still a better trigger over the bx in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a pike arms housing in black that was given to me, just some vq parts in and enjoy it. Tacinc has them for 60ish or complete bx for 75ish. Both are good for 90% of what people need. I just needed a new housing after I sold my norell pack and my buddy had a spare so I tried it. They make the more common 80% 1022's  and are quality.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll speak for myself when I say I prefer the metal housing and that's all I have on my 10/22's (I still own 2 polymer groups as spares) but there is nothing functionally or even aesthetically wrong with the polymer housing. You could even argue for a field gun, the polymer housing may even be better but I still prefer the metal ones just 'cause
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one of each, both were sent to CPC for work. You can't tell the difference.

I've been told many times the polymer is better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top