Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2017 11:56:02 AM EDT
How accurate are they?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How accurate are they?
View Quote

I can't speak directly to the Henry AR-7, but the Armalite and Charter Arms AR-7s were not all that accurate.

The Henry version uses ABS plastic for the stock, the stock will hold the receiver with the magazine installed, and will hold a spare magazine, while the Charter Arms and Armalite version would not.  However, they all use the same barrel design - an aluminum barrel with a steel liner, and the use the same rather crude peep sight.

I also own a couple M6 Survival rifles.  I am not at all impressed with the accuracy of the .22 Hornet version as the point of impact rises with every shot as the thin barrel heats.   However the .22 LR version is capable of accuracy around 1" for a 5 shot group at 50 yards with the open sights.  As a survival rifle it's a better option.   You can also get a detent ball pivot pin, which allows you to separate the front and back ends for even more compact storage.  

I'm also partial to the 9422 and I've carried it in a soft case in the baggage compartment as well, as it takes down quickly by removing the hammer screw and if you get an after market hammer screw with a saddle ring on it, it's a no tools required operation.  The 9422 is quite accurate for a lever action .22LR and a Tang sight will let you take advantage of that potential accuracy without adding weight or bulk.

The best survival rifle option however if you don't need to take it into Canada, where it is n to allowed, is a 16" AR-15 carbine with a very hard to break entry stock, and an additional .22 LR conversion kit.  Load up a 30 round magazine or two of .223, throw in the .22 LR conversion kit, a 22 LR magazine and a couple boxes of standard or high velocity .22 LR and you're well equipped to take small game fairly quietly, and you've got the ability to take deer sized game if needed.

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How accurate are they?
View Quote

I have an old Charter Arms AR7 from the early 80's.  Mine is actually surprisingly accurate for what it is - more so that I would guess looking at it.  I wouldn't put it up against an Anschutz, but it might hold its own against a decent 10/22.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#3]
The problem with the Henry version is the plastic barrel surrounding the rifled sleeve. It tends to flex depending on your hold and is easily bent unlike the aluminum barrels of the older ArmaLite and CA versions.

Lots of reports of the front sight breaking on the Henry version too.....I bought one a few years ago where the front sight was broken. I replaced it with a metal ramp FS that would fit in the stock. That Henry was accurate but was hold sensitive. If you rested the barrel against/on anything the POA would change.

My ArmaLite is minute of squirrel head accurate at 25 yards with CCI MM-HPs.....Dependable too.

I figure that is about all you could hope for of a rifle of that ilk. My Papoose is a lot more accurate as you would expect but not near as handy. I keep my AR-7 and four extra mags in a hydration bladder bag strapped to the rear of the passenger side seat in my vehicle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top