Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2017 10:41:17 PM EDT
Looks to be a newer model: http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/models.html

Was wondering if anyone has one and has shot it from a bench and could comment on accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Apparently, this is practically brand new.  My LGS couldn't even order one a week ago, though his distributors had item numbers for them.

I think I'm going to get one.  I'll do a review if I go ahead with it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Brand new model. Haven't been able to finger yet. My LGS said he's getting one... just doesn't know when.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Any idea on price? Looks sweet!
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks nice. I wouldn't buy a grey laminate stock though.  Ugly.  Now a brown laminate stock and I could be tempted.   I think the only laminate stock I own is a nazi Mauser bysterica.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice. I need one in 17hmr or 22wmr. I've got a 22lr compact that's a great shooter.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good.
View Quote

+1

What's the notch on the end of the forearm for?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure what target game this is intended for.  Most 22 target rifles have iron sights.  Looks like a nice rig tho.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any idea on price? Looks sweet!
View Quote

MSRP $499
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#10]
that thing would look good with a boyds pro varmint stock on it in walnut
if i hadn't' already invested in a savage FVSR with said stock i would be tempted by this rifle
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Very interested - tag for updates.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, after all of the crap I changed out on my regular Ruger American Rimfire they release this thing.   I'm sure I'll end up with one just because I'm a sucker for bolt gun .22's.  Especially if they take the 10/22 mags. 
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#13]
@vanrichten

What did you change on it?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@vanrichten

What did you change on it?
View Quote
Took the sights completely off, put on a Boyd's stock, changed to a Timney trigger, added a Glades Armory bolt knob, DIP scope rail with Larue QD rings and Leupold scope.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

+1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks good.

+1

IIRC, it serves as sort of an anchoring point for shooting sticks. But in reality, it's probably mainly for aesthetics.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I want one of these.

Anybody have one yet??
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:33:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know the thread length?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone know the thread length?
View Quote

My guess is .625" but I would hope it will be the proper .400"

What I don't get is why Ruger is making of of their threaded RAR's barrels 18" long instead of 16.25"-16.5" long?

BTW - this thread needs some pics...

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What I don't get is why Ruger is making of of their threaded RAR's barrels 18" long instead of 16.25"-16.5" long?

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/images/8348.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/images/extraViews/8348/1.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/images/extraViews/8348/3.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/images/extraViews/8348/4.jpg
View Quote

Ive tried emailing them and I never get a response. I hope its .400 too....
My liberty regulator will only take .400 depth.
Ya, I don't get the 18" thing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Galleryofguns says zero in stock. I want one of these bad, but I'm leery of buying the first production run.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#22]
None to be found the best I can tell.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I too am looking for the .17 with the wood stock.
hurry up Ruger!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Will buy!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/images/8348.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/images/extraViews/8348/1.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/images/extraViews/8348/3.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/images/extraViews/8348/4.jpg

The RAR compact is .400" so I doubt the would make this one any different
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The RAR compact is .400" so I doubt the would make this one any different
View Quote

That is good news!
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Got the email today. back in stock!

Gone - OOS

Didn't last long;

http://www.centerfireguns.com/ruger-amer-rf-22lr-lam-blk-syn-8348.html
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:51:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Found one today at Cabelas in .22lr and got it. I've ordered a scope for it and hope to have a range report this week. First impressions are very good. Finish is a nice blue, not matte, FYI, and overall the gun feels more expensive than it is.  The action is decent out of the box and I expect it to smooth up with use.  The bolt knob is more appealing in the hand than it looked in pictures. Balances pretty well to me, but I tend to like heavy barrels FWIW.

I really like the stock more than the polymer ones on the other RARs.  The comb is fairly low, but again I like the way it feels; I ordered a scope with a 33mm objective and low rings to keep it streamlined. I was really impressed with the factory trigger (this is my first experience with one of these) and I don't think I'm going to change it out for something else.

My Silencerco Spectre II threaded on nicely and I think the threads are .400 because there was no gap between the back of the silencer and the fat part of the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:19:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Found one today at Cabelas in .22lr and got it. I've ordered a scope for it and hope to have a range report this week. First impressions are very good. Finish is a nice blue, not matte, FYI, and overall the gun feels more expensive than it is.  The action is decent out of the box and I expect it to smooth up with use.  The bolt knob is more appealing in the hand than it looked in pictures. Balances pretty well to me, but I tend to like heavy barrels FWIW.

I really like the stock more than the polymer ones on the other RARs.  The comb is fairly low, but again I like the way it feels; I ordered a scope with a 33mm objective and low rings to keep it streamlined. I was really impressed with the factory trigger (this is my first experience with one of these) and I don't think I'm going to change it out for something else.

My Silencerco Spectre II threaded on nicely and I think the threads are .400 because there was no gap between the back of the silencer and the fat part of the barrel.
View Quote

Anyway you can measure those threads? I want to make sure before I purchase.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:55:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're .400

I actually wish they were longer. Then you could get the extta length turned down to silencerco specs
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:50:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They're .400

I actually wish they were longer. Then you could get the extta length turned down to silencerco specs
View Quote

Works for my Liberty Regulator. They call for exactly .400
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just looked on their website and it's not listed yet. What was their price on it?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Hoping to see some groups posted soon. I'm wanting an accurate 22 bolt gun and this rifle is on my radar, just need to see some results before buying.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Just looked on their website and it's not listed yet. What was their price on it?
View Quote

Cabelas here in Washington has a .22 WMR version in stock for $440.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
Your Customer Service Issue # is 10006400

The thread length is 0.300".

Ruger Customer Service

Emailed them again.

Same thing....300....

Dammit man!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Anyone actually measure the threads?

Also anyone get one yet?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry I didn't come back to the thread sooner. I was hoping to have a range report on my .22 but sadly I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

I think I paid $439 at Cabelas. Too much but I was hoping to use it during my older son's spring break.

Threads:  From the muzzle to the shoulder is .400. The threads themselves look like .300 from first to last thread.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sorry I didn't come back to the thread sooner. I was hoping to have a range report on my .22 but sadly I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

I think I paid $439 at Cabelas. Too much but I was hoping to use it during my older son's spring break.

Threads:  From the muzzle to the shoulder is .400. The threads themselves look like .300 from first to last thread.
View Quote
That is so gay. Although the barrel is longer than 16.5 so you could always cut and thread....but crap for that much more money rather buy a higher end already done .400 10/22
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That is so gay. Although the barrel is longer than 16.5 so you could always cut and thread....but crap for that much more money rather buy a higher end already done .400 10/22
View Quote
So long as the OAL of the cut portion is .400 there's no problem. Several mfg's stop the threads before the shoulder for ease of threading. It's certainly never caused an issue for me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:54:58 AM EDT
[#40]
That's a pretty gun.

I wish the RAR was easier to rebarrel.   This thing with an integral suppressor would be the cat's ass.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:50:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
that thing would look good with a boyds pro varmint stock on it in walnut
if i hadn't' already invested in a savage FVSR with said stock i would be tempted by this rifle
View Quote
IF this new rifle proves to be a shooter, I will be selling my Savage TRR with Boyds and my Savage Stainless Thumbhole Varmint and buying a couple of the new Rugers to replace them with. No reason to have two types of mags when I have so many other Ruger rifles- two Americans, 13 10/22's, three 77's....All take the rotary 10 rounder....Simplifies parts/magazine inventory.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Ruger should have just made the American Rimfire take 10/22 barrels.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

IF this new rifle proves to be a shooter, I will be selling my Savage TRR with Boyds and my Savage Stainless Thumbhole Varmint and buying a couple of the new Rugers to replace them with. No reason to have two types of mags when I have so many other Ruger rifles- two Americans, 13 10/22's, three 77's....All take the rotary 10 rounder....Simplifies parts/magazine inventory.
View Quote
I'm looking at seriously at it because I have a Savage...and I'm not impressed with the build quality.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I saw one today.  It was really nice.  I didn't ask the price since I wasn't really in the market but it was impressive.  I may have to pick one up in the future.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:13:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm looking at seriously at it because I have a Savage...and I'm not impressed with the build quality.
View Quote
Quality isn't the best but accurate non the less.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quality isn't the best but accurate non the less.
View Quote
Mine isn't. Anymore.

When I first got it it would, no joke, shoot 5 shot .4 inch center to center groups with CCI SV at 50 yards. I have pics of the target around here somewhere. One fine day I took it out of the stock for cleaning (despite being all stainless, it will rust if you look at it wrong. I call it the USS Rustoleum. I had to pull it from the stock regularly to ensure it hadn't started rusting somewhere) and when it went back together 1) the bolt was severely binding against the stock and 2) group size doubled. I could never find anything wrong with the stock. I ended up sanding the barrel channel a bit to free bolt movement.

Oh, can't forget, the bolt stop raised a huge burr of metal on the bolt from normal operation. The bolt is apparently made of something rather soft.

Admittedly I haven't even called Savage; I know how this works. If it's shooting .8 to 1.2 at 50 yards it's going to be declared acceptable and not even looked at. I have better things to do with 30 bucks than piss it away shipping a gun to the manufacturer for them to tell me it's fine when I know damn well it isn't.

I can't get SavageGunsmithing.com, an expert on Savage rim fires, to even respond to my inquiries about what might be done to correct the issues.

I looked into bedding the stock and found out it's almost impossible because the stock doesn't have enough material in some areas to be relieved.

So. Crap design, crap stock design, rusts, and poor materials. I'm well past screwing with this thing any more and I'm putting exactly zero additional money into it. It's going out the door to be replaced by something that's less prone to falling apart. I won't be spending any more on Savage rimfires either. Thus my interest in the RAR target, among others.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Mine isn't. Anymore.

When I first got it it would, no joke, shoot 5 shot .4 inch center to center groups with CCI SV at 50 yards. I have pics of the target around here somewhere. One fine day I took it out of the stock for cleaning (despite being all stainless, it will rust if you look at it wrong. I call it the USS Rustoleum. I had to pull it from the stock regularly to ensure it hadn't started rusting somewhere) and when it went back together 1) the bolt was severely binding against the stock and 2) group size doubled. I could never find anything wrong with the stock. I ended up sanding the barrel channel a bit to free bolt movement.

Oh, can't forget, the bolt stop raised a huge burr of metal on the bolt from normal operation. The bolt is apparently made of something rather soft.

Admittedly I haven't even called Savage; I know how this works. If it's shooting .8 to 1.2 at 50 yards it's going to be declared acceptable and not even looked at. I have better things to do with 30 bucks than piss it away shipping a gun to the manufacturer for them to tell me it's fine when I know damn well it isn't.

I can't get SavageGunsmithing.com, an expert on Savage rim fires, to even respond to my inquiries about what might be done to correct the issues.

I looked into bedding the stock and found out it's almost impossible because the stock doesn't have enough material in some areas to be relieved.

So. Crap design, crap stock design, rusts, and poor materials. I'm well past screwing with this thing any more and I'm putting exactly zero additional money into it. It's going out the door to be replaced by something that's less prone to falling apart. I won't be spending any more on Savage rimfires either. Thus my interest in the RAR target, among others.
View Quote
Mine shot great groups but it slowly kept falling apart and the bolt got shitty like yours. I got so mad that I cut up the rifle in a band saw
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Found one. Vasilated between the 22MWR or the 17HMR and went with the 22WMR for hitting power and bullet weight. At my local Sportsman's Whse. It's the walnut and sexy as hell. Stock pic for now but will post her up once I get her dressed out with an nice optic and bipod this weekend. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top