Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2016 10:48:31 AM EDT
I ran across a deal on CCI quiet and picked up 4 bricks. I didn't once think about this stuff not cycling my 10/22. What can I do to get this stuff to cycle? It's stupid quiet with my Spectre-II.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I doubt that you'll get it to cycle. It's quiet because it's low power !
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Try a lighter recoil spring, or shorten a standard spring.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#4]
It isnt designed for semi-auto's.

It is designed to be quiet.  

Has anyone ever made a semi-auto run this?  Theoretically it would be possible in a blowback, but you'd need a really light bolt, and light recoil spring to match.  Something that would beat the gun up bad under normal loads....

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/22-semiauto-to-shoot-cci-quiet.719119/
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:20:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I have heard of it cycling old 10/22s with worn/broken in springs, so it is possible.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I would think that a Remington 572 semi would work... it was designed for shorts, longs, and long rifles... anybody have one to try out?
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have some, that will cycle in my old 10/22 my first 10/22 is 46 years old, but it will not cycle in my 3 year old 10/22 Stainless, now the old one has at least 50 thousand round through it and the new one has maybe 1000 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to shoot a bunch of it through my 10/22 and I just cycled the action each time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#9]
If you can find a Volquartsen .22 Short conversion bolt it will allow you to shoot them and the bolt will cycle just fine. Problem is Volquartsen discontinued the kit.

I have one and it works like a champ with the CCI Quiet ammo.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the help guys!

I'm determined to get this stuff to work. Or I'll just get a RAR threaded .22
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to shoot a bunch of it through my 10/22 and I just cycled the action each time.
View Quote

That's what I do.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm determined to get this stuff to work. Or I'll just get a RAR threaded
View Quote

Also what I did
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Out of a garden variety bolt action ( I like the old school Winchester and Remington single shots with relatively long barrels) they are so quiet a can is pretty much redundant
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Out of a garden variety bolt action ( I like the old school Winchester and Remington single shots with relatively long barrels) they are so quiet a can is pretty much redundant
View Quote
I shoot them out of a Remington 510 with a 28" barrel. Very quiet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I shoot them out of a Remington 510 with a 28" barrel. Very quiet.
View Quote

Lol, I do the same.  I have several 510's.  The CCI quiet 22 is ridiculously quiet out of them.  

OP - you could try picking up an extra recoil spring and start clipping coils out of it until it cycles.   It would mean assembling and disassembling the rifle numerous times but it could be a fun Saturday project.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lol, I do the same.  I have several 510's.  The CCI quiet 22 is ridiculously quiet out of them.  

OP - you could try picking up an extra recoil spring and start clipping coils out of it until it cycles.   It would mean assembling and disassembling the rifle numerous times but it could be a fun Saturday project.
View Quote

Its not just a matter of cutting the recoil spring. The mass of the bolt has to be reduced as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Its not just a matter of cutting the recoil spring. The mass of the bolt has to be reduced as well.
View Quote

That is not 100% accurate.  Many people have stated that their older worn in guns will operate with Quiets.  That means the strength of the recoil springs are playing a large part.  If the bolt mass absolutely needed to be reduced, nobodies guns would cycle, even with worn or reduced power springs, unless they also had previously reduced bolt mass.

I will say, it might take recoil spring tuning, and some polishing of the parts where the bolt slides in the receiver, but reducing actual bolt mass is not necessary.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I will say, it might take recoil spring tuning, and some polishing of the parts where the bolt slides in the receiver, but reducing actual bolt mass is not necessary.
View Quote

Nevermind.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:58:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't think it will work in any semi auto without major modifications. I love shooting it in my suppressed RAR.  The firing pin striking the rim is louder than the muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't think it will work in any semi auto without major modifications. I love shooting it in my suppressed RAR.  The firing pin striking the rim is louder than the muzzle.
View Quote

First time I shot my RAR suppressed was with quiets.  I shot, heard this weird sproing noise that was annoying.  

First I was

Then I was
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Any gun that will fire .22 short will run this ammo.

I use a 552 Speedmaster and PWS Summit with a threaded barrel. I tried all kinds of stuff with an AR conversion and a M&P 22 but couldn't get them to run reliably.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I think there's a volquartsen 22 short kit for the 10/22, maybe run that bolt and recoil spring with standard mag?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I shoot this stuff out of a Belgian Browning Tbolt and it's quieter than an air rifle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#24]
It won't run my 22/45 or M&P 22c, can or no can. The bolt action runs fine, though

Don't expect it to cycle any semi.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Machine yourself an aluminum bolt.  
View Quote

Volquartsen makes one for this load.

ETA: No, really. Go look at their site, I got the email a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#27]

I was all "hellz yea!!", and then I saw the price.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Search on rimfirecentral.

Several people state they got it to work 90% with a kidd lightened spring, and lightened hammer spring, and heavy polishing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's what I do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I do.

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been playing around with my bolt the past couple days. Did some sanding with a belt sander to radius the bolt as well lots of polishing. Mirror finish to the bolt and working on the inside of the receiver now.

Still unable to cycle quiets but will be buying the kidd spring and rod kit next week. Hopefully that'll do it. I'll report back.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I mistakenly bought a brick of this stuff too... not realizing it wont cycle a semi.

It's weak as hell... in that shooting from a bolt rifle gave me the impression my pellet rifle had more punch.

I use CCI Subsonics now pretty exclusively and have whacked a few squirrels with them.
Not sure I'd trust the Quiets to do it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I was all "hellz yea!!", and then I saw the price.....
View Quote

Yeah... maybe for $99 I'd bite... but not for $199.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 5:01:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That is not 100% accurate.  Many people have stated that their older worn in guns will operate with Quiets.  That means the strength of the recoil springs are playing a large part.  If the bolt mass absolutely needed to be reduced, nobodies guns would cycle, even with worn or reduced power springs, unless they also had previously reduced bolt mass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The older guns likely had lighter bolts due to the fact that the older ammo was generally not as high of a velocity as many of today's offerings. I am not arguing that a lighter recoil spring will increase the chances of getting a newer gun to cycle but cutting a standard spring is not enough.

From Rimfire Central:
Lighter spring, cut off 3/8" of it.
Radius rear bolt as much as possible.
Kidd charging handle for slickness
Modified hammer spring. Cut of 1.5 coils.
I think I add tiny lube to guide spring rod. Everything else is dry lubed with liquid wrench dry lube spray.
Work it good and you'll get 90% or better reliability. Never truly 100% every time but it did work.

Later in that thread another member warned against cutting a spring and instead purchasing a lighter spring made by KIDD.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I mistakenly bought a brick of this stuff too... not realizing it wont cycle a semi.

It's weak as hell... in that shooting from a bolt rifle gave me the impression my pellet rifle had more punch.

I use CCI Subsonics now pretty exclusively and have whacked a few squirrels with them.
View Quote

Quiets will kill the shit out of squirrels, trust me. I've killed many with the standard LRN, easy, clean kills. It's my go to squirrel load for my suppressed RAR. Old timers have been using shorts and CBs on tree rats for decades. CCI also makes a segmented round in the Quiet load that splits into three pieces on impact.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quiets will kill the shit out of squirrels, trust me. I've killed many with the standard LRN, easy, clean kills. It's my go to squirrel load for my suppressed RAR. Old timers have been using shorts and CBs on tree rats for decades. CCI also makes a segmented round in the Quiet load that splits into three pieces on impact.
View Quote

I like to clip of file the RN bullet into a SWC.  

Kills pretty darn good.  Biggest kill so far was a large coon. CNS shot and it went right down.  Probably 40lbs    made a great BBQ

Not a far shot.  

Have killed a few dozen squirrels, went five for five on one shot coon kills.  Few big possums. Lots of crows  

If your shot is good it's good.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:50:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Think of it as a CB with a 40gr bullet.  Easily 6-7X more powerful than a pellet gun.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#37]
I am pretty sure the package states the FPS clearly, if you think that 750fps will cycle a semiauto you got what you deserved.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Big 5 has some off brand quiet no FPS on box (they said)  20 grain. some small varmits will be out when it warms up think it will do.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#39]
How does the CCI quiet compare to the Aguila Super Colibri in terms of report?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Mossberg 464 with an Octane9.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#42]

If you decide to get it, it works.  Works 100%.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Also what I did
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm determined to get this stuff to work. Or I'll just get a RAR threaded

Also what I did

This.  

They are very quit in a RAR with a can.  Like shooting a pellet gun.  You hear the firing pin drop and the bullet smack the target.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#44]
There is a really impressive video on YT of a dudecshooting a ham with acsegmented CCI Quiet round.....
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:08:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Shortening a spring makes the rate higher.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't know because I've never used this round (and don't have my suppressor yet) so maybe I'm missing something or I'm just weird but I kinda like the idea of the CCI Quiet's being too weak to operate the 10/22 bolt?

What I mean by that is, if I'm shooting these it means I want the quietest shot possible and on a suppressed 10/22 shooting just about any subsonic round, seems like the loudest noise will be the bolt cycling so I would think that this ammo is a cheap easy way to turn your 10/22 into kind of a Biathlon type action? Sounds good to me (in theory anyway)?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I doubt that you'll get it to cycle. It's quiet because it's low power !
View Quote
Works great in a revolver or bolt gun.  Longer range trajectory needs to be adjusted.

I got the silhouette range to myself one day.  I was shooting the CCI quiet with my Outback II on my CZ452 and went through a brick before I realized I wasn't wearing my ear protection.  It was very pleasant to shoot.  I got rug burns on my elbow from cycling the bolt. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would think that a Remington 572 semi would work... it was designed for shorts, longs, and long rifles... anybody have one to try out?
View Quote
I would say it has less power than those.  For example, Remington subs will cycle my Ruger .22-45, CCI Quiet will not. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I use CCI Standard Velocity for that reason...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top