Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2016 2:15:05 PM EDT
Will it ever happen?

I would like to have a 17WSM but not a whole lot to choose from. Dont care much for the Savage line up. And the other options are expensive.

Be nice to have a stainless American in 17WSM for under $350
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I've not figured out what WSM does that .223" does not.  .17" HMR I get.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#2]
.223 is cheaper.

having a hard time justifying its existance. i would assume an American in 5.56 would be the best bet
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#3]
WSM is a Rimfire for one. And in most states to hunt at night or to hunt on Public land at night you are restricted to rimfire calibers only. So with the WSM you essentially have a 223 that is legal. And some seasons in Ga you can only use specific caliber guns for specific species. So if you wanted to hunt a non game species like coyote or Hog out of big game season you would be restricted to weapons that are legal in small game season. Which are any 22 caliber & 17 caliber rimfire and muzzleloaders. Last I checked. I hunt on family land so these reasons do not really apply to me.

And the main attraction to me is that 17 WSM is everywhere and cheap. If I can get quality varmint hunting ammo for my 223 for $14.00 per 50 then it would be a mute point. But to say that 223 is cheaper you are kinda comparing apples to tomatoes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#4]
For those having a hard time justifying the 17 WSM, it is simply a workaround for hunters to have to use rimfire to hunt certain lands . It also has the least likely balistic ground skip of any rifle that can kill a coyote or pig. It stops where it strikes. Texas has WMAs that require a rimfire be used for hogs and yotes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I really enjoy my CZ 455 17hmr. Its my most favorite hunting rifle. I wish that CZ & Ruger (American) would offer a 17 WSM.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I've heard that just about every rifle in WSM has accuracy issues, something inherent in the cartridge itself.

Just what I've read, don't kill the messenger.

LC

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  WSM is a Rimfire for one. And in most states to hunt at night or to hunt on Public land at night you are restricted to rimfire calibers only. So with the WSM you essentially have a 223 that is legal. And some seasons in Ga you can only use specific caliber guns for specific species. So if you wanted to hunt a non game species like coyote or Hog out of big game season you would be restricted to weapons that are legal in small game season. Which are any 22 caliber & 17 caliber rimfire and muzzleloaders. Last I checked. I hunt on family land so these reasons do not really apply to me.

And the main attraction to me is that 17 WSM is everywhere and cheap. If I can get quality varmint hunting ammo for my 223 for $14.00 per 50 then it would be a mute point. But to say that 223 is cheaper you are kinda comparing apples to tomatoes.
View Quote

Ah, fair enough.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:14:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a RAR in 22lr and 22wmr, and I'd buy one in .17WSM in a heartbeat. I really want a rifle in this caliber, I just don't like any of the rifles (for the money) that are offered so far.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've heard that just about every rifle in WSM has accuracy issues, something inherent in the cartridge itself.

LC

View Quote

Have not heard that. Looks like I need to do some investigating.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I've heard that just about every rifle in WSM has accuracy issues, something inherent in the cartridge itself.

LC

It uses the .27" nail gun case, which is 50% thicker than the .17" HMR.  The firing pin impulse has to be stronger, thus the spring has to be stronger, thus more difficult to get a great trigger.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#11]
It doesn't seem that Ruger would have to make any drastic changes to the RAR rifle for it to chamber the WSM. And most importantly, they already have a quality magazine designed for the WSM and have suspended production of the rifle that uses it (along with all the other expensive to produce 77 series rifles). From what I read, Ruger's WSM magazine is far superior to Savage's. Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like a no brainer for Ruger to chamber the RAR in WSM and it should leave Savage in the dust based on the magazine alone?
Build it Ruger, I WANT ONE!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:56:55 AM EDT
[#12]
The newer Savage rimfires are using a Mannlicher style rotary magazine like Ruger; their only defect, which they share w/ their centerfire cousins, is a cheap plastic latch on the magazine, which looks like it will eventually break.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:08:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I readily admit that I haven't used the savage magazine but, most of the complaints I have read involve the latch you mention and difficulty with loading. To be fair, once you get the thing loaded and locked in, it sounds like they function ok. I own a pair of RARs and have handled several Bmags and the RAR just feels much better. Some of this is personal preference but the stock, 60* bolt throw (no scope interference), overall appearance, factory threaded barrel, and MUCH easier bolt closing all seem to be big pros in the favor of the Ruger design.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I was lucky enough to go to the Iraqveteran8888 shoot this year. Their was 2 of the semi auto savages their one in 17HMR and the other a 22mag. I witnessed numerous times and it happened to me when shooting the guns the mags would fall out upon firing. Dont recall if it was on a full mag or not but I remember shooting and something hitting my foot. Looked down and their was the mag.

They were fun guns to shoot. Stocks felt cheesy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#15]
My experience w/ the new Savage gun, showing them to customers, is the magazine has to be pushed in firmly, and you'll hear a faint click if the tab latches.  Absent that, it will either fall out when you least expect it, or it's gone in crooked, and is a bear to get back out.  Sold one recently, and we went through 2 guns in the box to find one that the magazine latched in easily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top