Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2016 8:40:07 PM EDT
Several clubs nearby have these matches and they look like fun. While I have a ton of shooting experience I know squat about the gear for this game -
For those that shoot these types of matches I would like a solid starter rifle and optics to try it out.
I do not want to break the bank but want to not have to re buy gear two or three times either,
And I am not one to buy a base gun and tinker with it to get where it needs to be.
Input on optics as well power brand etc is a help since I have been an iron sight guy all my
Life  
Suggestions appreciated !!
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I would look on the web for the NRA Rimfire Silhouette rules package. I shot some of this 15-16 years ago with a scoped Walther Sportmodell single shot. IIRC there are a few different classes that will have an impact on what rifle you buy. Also go to RimfireCentral.com as they have a separate forum on RF silhouette shooting. It can be as basic or as involved as you want to make it based on the class you chose. It is a boatload of fun, and pretty demanding. But the initial learning curve is fairly short. You can get reasonably competitive in short order. Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot that for years after Highpower Silhouette matches.
It's a fun game.
I enjoyed a modicum of success with an Anschutz model 54, scoped with a Leupold Target fixed 10X scope. Fine crosshair reticle
I still have the rig, it's a varmint slayer for sure
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is some good info that might help...

http://www.bcsportsmen.org/silhouette/basics.html

If my memory is correct, there are two classes of rifles used - Standard Silhouette Rifle & Hunting Silhouette Rifle. The basic differences between the two are max. allowed weight and barrel profile.

I'd pick what class you want to shoot in - and get a good bolt action that would allow you to meet the accuracy needs without too many changes. (Anschutz, CZ, etc...)  That way if the bug really bites you, you already have a good platform to make bigger (more expensive) changes to.

Have fun,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all. Messer that link was rather useful.
While I am not ready to drop 2k on a scope and rifle just yet, my plan is to go to next months match and get input from the locals on equipment and buy a more entry level rig to start.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#5]
First off this is t my game so don't hold me to anything but just show up and shoot whatever you have that shoots standard velocity ammo well.  Most club shoots are glad to have a new face show up.  Worry about the equipment race after you try your hand.  That was the general advice at the clubs I belonged to.   They'll tell you your scores aren't official if your gear doesn't meet the rules but it's unlikely you'll be in the running at the start anyhow.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]
A CZ 453, 453 or 455 will work fine for a Small bore Hunter class rifle.  

Basically it must have a traditional stock, a trigger pull of at least 2 pounds, a tapered barrel and the bottom of the scope can't be mounted more than 1.5" above the receiver.

Optics don't have to be uber expensive.   A Leopold VX2 3-9x40mm will get the job done as the optics are very good, it has finger adjustable turrets, and while the magnification isn't huge it's adequate and won't over magnify the wobble common for a new shooter.

Figure $450 for a CZ 455 American and $300-$325 for the scope and you're off and running for around $750-$800.

This combination is capable of 1 to 1.5 MOA accuracy at 100 yards with mid range match ammo like Sk Standard Plus or SK Match Plus.  That level of accuracy is more than enough to be competitive.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The cz's or the savage bolt actions will get you started. Those 2 brands have been going head to head for a couple years now over on rimfirecentral.com. So far it's been a draw.

The most important part of silhouettes is the glass. You want a good quality scope that is repeatable when switching back and forth between the yardages, is clear & has good quality knobs/adjustments. I prefer the sightron scopes on my silhouette rifles. They are lighter than most other scopes, have excellent eye relief distances (the long the better). Have more moa adjustments than most scopes (60 moa of adjustment). And use the standard 1" rings.

The difference between american & european shooters:
A american puts a $200 scope on a $500 rifle.
A european puts a $500 scope on a $200 rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top