Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2016 9:45:00 AM EDT
Has anyone personally had any out of battery discharges from their 15-22? This concerns me a little bit because my kids and wife shoot my 15-22 as well.

Is it causing injuries?
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#1]
The range I work for has two locations where we've had six of them for five years. The huge amount of rounds that go through them are more than people would shoot in multiple life times. The only thing we've seen is how fast the mags get worn out for us.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I've personally had two OOBs on a Cliener style AR kit. It's not uncommon. I could see it happening with a 15/22 too since they are so similar.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Had OBD from ar with conversion.
Wipe down and lube and go again.  
Don't stick face in front of ejection port without eye protection so it isn't a problem.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had OBD from ar with conversion.
Wipe down and lube and go again.  
Don't stick face in front of ejection port without eye protection so it isn't a problem.
View Quote

Problem is at Appleseed, there are people Right Next to you on the line.  Also, there are exercises where a partner maybe very close to your rifle (watching your eyes for blinking, for example).

I tried using a conversion kit way way back in Appleseed, and my rifle was a jammomatic mess.  I built up my Marlin Mod 60 with Tech Sites and a sling, and tracked down one of those big cylinder 'speed loaders' for the tube mag.  Alas, Appleseed died a pretty harsh death here in the MO/KS/NE area.

(I need to see if they made a comeback.  I still don't have that Rifleman's Patch...)

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have not had any problems with mine but I only have 1500rds through it so far.

I have had OOB discharge with some 10/22's, first one was with a new bullpup stock test firing it and I did not have eyepro. Peppered my face but no lasting injuries. Fact is it can happen with any auto loading rimfire but I don't see why the M&P would be more prone to it than others.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#6]
OOB  are a fact of shooting as are squibs, stove pipes and many other malfunctions  Do not sweat the small stuff.  I have a had OOB with 22LR  2 with 9mm and one with 8mm mauser.  The only one that caused my ass to pucker was the 8mm OOB in a Hakim rifle.  22LR does not have enough powder to cause any major damage.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OOB  are a fact of shooting as are squibs, stove pipes and many other malfunctions  Do not sweat the small stuff.  I have a had OOB with 22LR  2 with 9mm and one with 8mm mauser.  The only one that caused my ass to pucker was the 8mm OOB in a Hakim rifle.  22LR does not have enough powder to cause any major damage.
View Quote

That is kinda what I figured but I wanted to make sure it wasn't something that would hurt the kids.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Just make sure they wear their Eye Pro and ears and shooting gloves.  Keep your chamber clean,  every couple hundred rnds I Ispray some cleaner and run  the bore brush to get the crud out.
Quoted:

That is kinda what I figured but I wanted to make sure it wasn't something that would hurt the kids.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine had thousands of rounds through it with zero problems.  Just kept the chamber clean and the action dry.  

I think it's a big mistake singling out a rifle like this that's so popular.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mine had thousands of rounds through it with zero problems.  Just kept the chamber clean and the action dry.  

I think it's a big mistake singling out a rifle like this that's so popular.
View Quote

Par for Appleseed, no?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Par for Appleseed, no?
View Quote

What other rifles have been banned from Appleseed events?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Par for Appleseed, no?

Semi auto .17cal rimfires. However, I was more referring to their penchant of making poor decisions.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#13]
We have three of the Smiths in our club and they run like tops.  And they get run alot.

Our old DPMS conversion kits on the other hand were a complete disaster.  OOB on both of them, which typically would send the extractor flying into parts unknown.  We simply could not keep those things running.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I have several thousand rounds through mine with many different types of ammo and have never had a malfunction of any kind.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:34:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I have never had an oob with mine but early on I would get doubles and even triples from time to time. It will still do it if I let it get really filthy. Pull the bolt, wipe it down, oil it and it is back to 100%.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 2:48:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I had one a few years ago with zero issues, had to sell it.  Miss it.   So so much. At that time there were no gripes public or private with it.

Now that we are looking to buy one new we are hoping this Appleseed issue isn't a new manufacturing flaw and just some sensationalist news piece.

Link Posted: 11/5/2016 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a new this summer 15/22 (I think Sport - the version with the M-Loc hand guard) and it runs like a champ with either Remington Golden Bullet ammo or Remington, Fioochi or Norma subsonic ammo with a suppressor. That ammo list is everything I have tried and no issues at all.

Really fun gun!

JPK

Link Posted: 11/5/2016 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#18]
My buddy has one that was blowing cases. He was gonna send it back to them but he got sent to Spain by uncle sam for 9 months. Hopefully S&W will take care of him when he gets home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top