Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2016 2:55:14 PM EDT
Hello all!

I recently came across an article discussing use of the Ruger SR-22 rifle by the Israeli Defense Force (IDF). Apparently, the IDF has adopted the rifle for use alongside suppressed Ruger 10/22 rifles for the purpose of crowd control against violent aggressive demonstrators. Their doctrine used to classify these rifles as "less-lethal" or "non-lethal" but they are now considered to be "lethal" options and their use is only authorized when lethal force is justified. However, they do much less damage and are less conspicuous over full-power 5.56/7.62mm options yet retain greater effectiveness to incapacitate than most less lethal options (baton rounds, rubber bullets etc.) with greater range and accuracy as well. They are almost always backed up by Tavors, M16s etc.

Here is an article discussing the SR-22 rifle in this role:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/10/21/israel-adopts-ruger-sr-22-in-less-lethal-sniper-role/

As you can see, the Israeli-adopted version is non-suppressed, features a magnified optic, and is fitted with a bipod. I am interested in building a clone of this weapon and am wondering if anyone out there knows the specs for this gun? The muzzle appears to have an aftermarket muzzle device and I'm wondering what it is (I know it's hard to tell from the picture). I am also wondering if anyone can identify the optic? I think it would be very cool to essentially create a true "military spec" rimfire rifle that is actually used in real conflicts.

If anyone has any additional details or info on the use of the Ruger SR-22 rifle in Israel, that would be greatly appreciated. Feedback or opinions on the base SR-22 are also very welcome, particularly on accuracy over a standard 10/22.

Thanks so much! :)
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I found another image of the SR-22 being used by an Israel Border Police member:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5507538 (last post bottom of page)

This one appears to have a standard Ruger flash hider. Can anyone identify the optic from this angle? I assume the bipod is a Harris model but I could be wrong. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I found another image:

Anyone have an idea of what scope this is? Or the bipod?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The article says it is Rugers SR22 tactical.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Rifle/models.html

As far as the scope, i am not sure.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#4]
There is one of these in Dewey AZ at the local gun shop.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#5]
You might look on rimfirecentral.com.    They have a lot of Ruger knowledgeable members
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 3:00:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I posted their and nobody has responded.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:22:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#8]
The scope might be one of these, perhaps?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#9]
"They are almost always backed up by Tavors, M16s etc."

I hope so! If you start shooting into a crowd of violent protesters with a .22 rimfire you had better be prepared for some escalation
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"They are almost always backed up by Tavors, M16s etc."

I hope so! If you start shooting into a crowd of violent protesters with a .22 rimfire you had better be prepared for some escalation
View Quote

A .22 to the knee is Israeli "less-lethal".  When it goes beyond that it is not the tool to be used!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top