Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2016 4:46:22 PM EDT
Got me a new M&P 15-22.
First ammo rounds were a mix of CCI, Remington Golden Bullet, and Federal 350 round box stuff ( the stuff at Gander Mtn.).

Anyways, I kept having major PITA FTE and a few FTL with the Federal.
I am talking every 3-7 rounds...major FTE...

So, i figured out that the CCI is what I need to use, and I have 700 rounds of Federal crap. Ammo is good......sort of. Its got some waxy shit on it.

I think ..." how can I salvage $50 worth of ammo?" AH! I know...an alchohol rinse.....or similar. I bet if I get that crappy coating off of it, it might cycle.

Whats a good solvent to clean the ammo, so I can stick it in a dirty mag and a dirty rifle, so I can send it to a pile of dirt?
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Just fire it out of something else.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

where can i find a 22LR beltfed?
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#3]
You really should figure out what the issue is so it runs with all ammo but I'm anal like that.

Acetone on a qtip maybe? Perhaps rubbing alcohol as you mentioned.

V
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Run 500 -1000 rds of the good CCI or Winchester SuperX through it, then it will run anything once the spring is broken in. No need to dump all that other ammo. Also, ensure the black rails on the bolt assembly and guide rod are well lubed so the bolt moves freely.

Quoted:
You really should figure out what the issue is so it runs with all ammo but I'm anal like that.

Acetone on a qtip maybe? Perhaps rubbing alcohol as you mentioned.

V
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lakeside machine makes one
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it Federal Auto Match? My son's M&P-15/22 hates it. My CMMG/Spikes frankengun loves it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:30:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Neither of my 15-22's really enjoy Federal ammo. Or Remington.
I stick with CCI and occasionally Winchester SuperX.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#8]
The waxy stuff is lube . Stripping it off is going to be a PITA itself and could very well make the function worse .

Throw the ammo that doesn't work well on a shelf and shoot whatever does work. If the gun is at all new shooting it a bunch will more times than not wear in and smooth things out .

Somewhere down the line the federal ammo may be just fine.

Many semi rimfire guns are just fine but run like crap because the magazine needs cleaning . My favorite method because I am lazy is to take the magazine outside and hose it down with spray silicone lube. I think it flushes out any dirt or grit fairly well and leaves some lube behind while still drying and not being sticky.

If you use any oil on a mag it might work better for a short period but the blowback crud from 22rf will stick to the oil and gack it up in no time

When the bolt slams back on a 22rf the magazine spring only has a quick fraction of a second to lift that whole stack of ammo to get the top round in position so the bolt can strip it into the chamber . just a slight bit of stickyness and all is lost.

To rieview---keep the mag clean and shoot the ammo it likes for a couple of bricks or so and it might start likeing everything.

Every man with a semi 22lr also needs a revolver and a lever gun to burn up his crummy ammo
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#9]
So I picked up another 50rnd pack of CCI and ran that, only 2 FTE. Thats 2 too many IMHO.

I did go ahead and pick up a couple of 300 round boxes (CCI HP). Looks like thats all I will run in this lil rifle.

If it were not for a 6-7 month F'n wait for a can, I would do that.

I cant see what I should do to this 15-22 to make it more fun.
I will say the Salem 6 20 round mags are very nice, a bit of a PITA to load, but they work and look great.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Clean and Lube the gun. That usually helps me when I get FTE on a 22lr.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is it Federal Auto Match? My son's M&P-15/22 hates it. My CMMG/Spikes frankengun loves it.
View Quote

I have had a couple guns that didn't like Automatch that much but everything ran ok. So far my 15-22 and M&P22c have been the honey badgers of 22 autos.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#12]
A good reason to buy a 22 revolver
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd polish the chamber on your 15-22.  I use a barrel mop with Flitz polishing compound on a short cleaning rod attached to a hand drill.   You can also buzz the chamber with a brass brush soaked in oil/CLP attached to a drill.  I've have had great results using Flitz on 22 chambers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#14]
This is not a centerfire. 22's are well known to be ammo sensitive with them running great with ammo a but nonstop choking with ammo b. Even in a great functioning 22 semi auto a malfunction or two every 100 rounds is not unreasonable. And in this age of limited 22 ammo availability it is hard to say buy five or six different types of ammo to find what yours likes best. But this is still the answer. Some guns will even show more finicky appetites with guns sometimes running fine with say for example mini mag solids but not liking hollow points, or running the cci AR tactical fine ( which has a slightly different bullet profile ) but not mini mags or vice versa.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:58:09 AM EDT
[#15]
No answer for you,but this thread is EXACTLY why I do not understand any THINKING, KNOWLEDGEABLE gunowner hoarding .22LR ammo.

.22rimfire ammo is easily the most finicky of all rounds even when brand new and fresh, and with many brand:gun idiosyncrasies to face. Some guns like mini-mags, the other can only take Win redbox. Or Federal. Yowza.

In hindsight,hope all those .22 hoarders choke on their ammo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 4:17:08 AM EDT
[#16]
This is reason enough to buy a bolt action .22 and a suppressor.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 4:28:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Got me a new M&P 15-22.
First ammo rounds were a mix of CCI, Remington Golden Bullet, and Federal 350 round box stuff ( the stuff at Gander Mtn.).

Anyways, I kept having major PITA FTE and a few FTL with the Federal.
I am talking every 3-7 rounds...major FTE...

So, i figured out that the CCI is what I need to use, and I have 700 rounds of Federal crap. Ammo is good......sort of. Its got some waxy shit on it.

I think ..." how can I salvage $50 worth of ammo?" AH! I know...an alchohol rinse.....or similar. I bet if I get that crappy coating off of it, it might cycle.

Whats a good solvent to clean the ammo, so I can stick it in a dirty mag and a dirty rifle, so I can send it to a pile of dirt?
View Quote

IMing you
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I got a SW 15-22, it pretty much eats anything I feed it. If you read the manual, it does specify what to shoot and not shoot.

I have not had any issues with any of the various CCI flavors, same with Winchester, Remington (some have been FTF's but rare).

Aguilia shoots really well too.

Clean and lube it up really well and try again.

Fun rifle to shoot
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are shooting suppressed or with a bump stock, it's only going to work right with CCI or a high-velocity ammo.  If unsuppressed and a stock rifle and you just bought it, I would send back to S&W.  Their customer service is absolutely fantastic.

EKSB
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 2:16:32 AM EDT
[#20]
might try changing out the extractor for one made by Volquartsen.  Lot of people are quite please with the extraction results.  Can't suggest anything for the load issues.  Mine runs like a champ
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So I picked up another 50rnd pack of CCI and ran that, only 2 FTE. Thats 2 too many IMHO.

I did go ahead and pick up a couple of 300 round boxes (CCI HP). Looks like thats all I will run in this lil rifle.

If it were not for a 6-7 month F'n wait for a can, I would do that.

I cant see what I should do to this 15-22 to make it more fun.
I will say the Salem 6 20 round mags are very nice, a bit of a PITA to load, but they work and look great.  

View Quote

If you want to make it more fun get a lightning loader, a suppressor and ammo that doesn't go supersonic and enjoy the click click cluck  
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine was fussy at first but after a few hundred rounds and a good cleaning it has been very reliable. Last time I had it out it ran 4 mags with a mix of Golden bullets anf Fed bulk pack without a single issue.

Run it and clean it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Run 500 -1000 rds of the good CCI or Winchester SuperX through it, then it will run anything once the spring is broken in. No need to dump all that other ammo. Also, ensure the black rails on the bolt assembly and guide rod are well lubed so the bolt moves freely.
View Quote

+1
Mine eats anything-you just gotta break her in.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Next up, a thread titled:
How do I cure sticky extraction in my .22lr revolver?

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it is an older S&W the chambers are probably too tight. I have an older 22 kit gun (model 34) that was the first handgun I ever bought and it was always
stubborn to extract. Recently bought a 17-8 K22 with the full underlug and it extracts beautifully! I checked the diameter of the chambers and the newer revolver
was quite a bit larger! checkout the S&W forum, this was covered there.
chris
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Make sure your rounds are staggered in the magazine - not all sitting on one side.

That helped all my jams.

Buy the McFadden Lightning speed loader.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top