Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 9:08:21 AM EDT
Bought a brand new M&P 15-22 a couple weeks ago and finally got some time yesterday to test it out.  Here's what I'm working with:

M&P 15-22 - http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_848572_-1_757784_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
Silencer Co thread spacer - https://www.store.silencerco.com/products/1-2x28-rifle-thread-spacer?variant=221756564
AAC Element2 suppressor - http://www.advanced-armament.com/ELEMENT2_p_437.html
Eley Target ammunition - https://www.outdoorlimited.com/Eley-22LR-Target-ELEY3190-40-gr-LRN-50-per-box-p/eley3190.htm

It fails to eject every 5 or so rounds, and then it'll run smooth for a magazine.  Then go back to every 5 or so - very frustrating.

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#1]
It's probably the ammo. .22's are notoriously picky on ammo.

I bought a new M&P15-22 last week as well and it loves the M22 ammo, but hates the blaser I put in it. Will only fire 1 out of every 5 rounds.... pick the rounds up and tested them in a bolt action and they fired just fine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought a new M&P15-22 last week as well and it loves the M22 ammo, but hates the blaser I put in it. Will only fire 1 out of every 5 rounds.... pick the rounds up and tested them in a bolt action and they fired just fine.
View Quote

This ammo cycles flawlessly through my Savage bolt action and Colt 1911 so I will purchase new ammo if needed.  Any other subsonic ammo you suggest?  Maybe CCI SV?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This ammo cycles flawlessly through my Savage bolt action and Colt 1911 so I will purchase new ammo if needed.  Any other subsonic ammo you suggest?  Maybe CCI SV?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've shot a box of this through it just fine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Eley and other true target grade ammo is very low velocity ( usually around 1070) and I can see it running marginally in a gun not designed around standard velocity ammo - American standard velocity tends to be a bit faster and may run fine. I have military surplus Remington standard velocity ( rated at 1150) and the little bit of extra speed allows it to run in guns that choke on other types of standard vel
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#5]
My 15-22 was finicky for the first few hundred rounds but after that and a good cleaning it has been nearly flawless with anything I throw at it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:24:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I switched to dry lube spray. PB blaster brand. My 15-22's dont skip a beat now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://cdn3.volusion.com/cpjxd.qufhy/v/vspfiles/photos/S22LRTSU8-2.jpg
View Quote

It's funny that the M-22 Subsonic worked well for you. I purchased two of the 800 round packs shown I'm almost finished with the first 400 round box and have consistent failure to fire issues with them in all hosts (listed below with vintage)! I'm actually keeping all of the duds to send in with the box/lot# to Winchester to see if they can figure out why this is happening. The strikes are the same depth/shape as the fired rounds. I rarely have made it through a 10 round mag without a problem. I've had great success with the regular M-22 but the Subsonic has been another story. The hosts below all work well with the 42gr Gemtech subsonic and CCI standard velocity.

Hosts:  10/22 Carbine (1980's), SW MP15-22 (2014), Ruger American Rimfire "Predator" (2015), 22/45 Lite Black Fluted (2015), 22/45 Lite Cobalt (2015)
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's funny that the M-22 Subsonic worked well for you. I purchased two of the 800 round packs shown I'm almost finished with the first 400 round box and have consistent failure to fire issues with them in all hosts (listed below with vintage)! I'm actually keeping all of the duds to send in with the box/lot# to Winchester to see if they can figure out why this is happening. The strikes are the same depth/shape as the fired rounds. I rarely have made it through a 10 round mag without a problem. I've had great success with the regular M-22 but the Subsonic has been another story. The hosts below all work well with the 42gr Gemtech subsonic and CCI standard velocity.

Hosts:  10/22 Carbine (1980's), SW MP15-22 (2014), Ruger American Rimfire "Predator" (2015), 22/45 Lite Black Fluted (2015), 22/45 Lite Cobalt (2015)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get a few duds... but then go put them in the savage bolt action and they work fine.

I have maybe 1 out of a 100 that are duds
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I get a few duds... but then go put them in the savage bolt action and they work fine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 out of 100 duds seems kind of bad.  I haven't had a dud yet in any caliber in 3 years of shooting.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

1 out of 100 duds seems kind of bad.  I haven't had a dud yet in any caliber in 3 years of shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

then you aint shooting enough.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've probably gone through about 5k rounds. That's why 1/100 surprises me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:35:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Rim fires are not in nearly the same class as centerfires- a 1/100 misfire rate with rimfire is no big deal. With cheap bulk pack I get 4-6 per 500 and with better quality ammo perhaps 1/1000. Just a fact of life with rim fires
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I purchased CCI SV to see if the Eley ammo is my problem.  I also bought a McFadden's lightning loader to make sure the ammo is being loaded correctly as well.

Will update with results.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's why the rate I'm seeing concerns me about the M-22 Subsonic I purchased. I have 25 or 26 dud rounds so far and I haven't even made it through the first 400. If I didn't have any other failures (not likely) in this box the rate would stand at about 1 dud in every 16 rounds. That is well below any bulk box I'v used including Remington Golden Bullet from the 1400 round buckets. I did try restriking them in different hosts when I first started getting the duds but only one or two fired a second time. When the count went over 10 that wouldn't fire on a second or third strike I gave up on giving them a second chance. Of the hosts I have, the MP15-22 leaves the most aggressive indention but the Rugers are all more than adequate to set off the rimfire rounds.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I purchased CCI SV to see if the Eley ammo is my problem.  I also bought a McFadden's lightning loader to make sure the ammo is being loaded correctly as well.

Will update with results.
View Quote

CCI SV cycles flawlessly.  I was having 4-5 FTE's before and after 250 rounds of CCI SV, nothing

Anyone know of any good deals out there for CCI SV bulk packs?
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#16]
The back pressure a suppressor ads should allow any ammo to cycle the rifle.

JPK
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got a Gemtech Outback IIT for the M&P-15/22 and ran it last night with three brands of subs: Gemtech, CCI 40 gr. and Winchester 40 gr. - It ran great and only had a couple of malfunctions through about 150 rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top