Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2016 1:00:11 AM EDT
I guess this could also be a general bolt action trigger group question as well but since if directly applies to my Marlin xt22vr  which is a 22lr, i figured it was best to ask here.

Marlin in their manual when i got the gun, i dont know if it has changed, states when cleaning and lubing the gun to lube the trigger. So i have always done thst when i felt it was needed. Well some how i got something in the trigger group. I havent used it or any of my guns in a while. Just every once and a while i cycle through them all to make sure everything is on the up and up and i found it out.

So my question is, i dont have any gun oil in stock. I have been meaning to get some, i just have been busy with college and everything. But i do have some 45wt pure silicone oil that i use for my PCP air rifle and high pressure handpump. Is there any reason not to use this on the trigger, heck, even the whole gun?

My main concern is that it might lower the trigger pull to much. My Marlin came from the factory with a nice light crisp trigger. I know, hard too believe,  but it did. An everything i have ever switched out to use silicone oil generally reduced what ever effort to various degrees depending on the use. Take for example my Hill mk3 handpump for my PCP airgun. Using the recommended grease you start getting resistance early on. With it lubed with silicone oil it doesn't start that resistance untill around 1800psi.

Thank you to everyone who can help.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It will be just fine just wipe any excess off. For the most part gun metal can be treated like any other steel. I use more motor oil and ATF than I do actual gun oil on my guns. A specialized oil might clean carbon, copper, lead etc better but for general lube and corrosion protection guns are not to picky.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. I guess i can try it and report back if it lowers the trigger pull any.

I am just always a bit over cautious over my marlin because it was the first gun i ever purchased.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:08:51 AM EDT
[#3]
A weekend competitive shooter that I used to work with used sperm whale oil on his target gun trigger mechanisms.

His Humble Opinion, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A weekend competitive shooter that I used to work with used sperm whale oil on his target gun trigger mechanisms.

View Quote

how long ago was this? That was some pretty valuable stuff!
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#5]
For general firearms lube consider a good full synthetic motor oil, like a 5w30 or 5w40.  Mobile 1 or Shell Rotella T6.  One quart will last a lifetime. About $6.

On triggers you need grease, not oil.

https://geissele.com/trigger-maintenance-grease.html
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Late 70s - early 80s.  He and his wife were DINKs (Dual Income, No Kids).  Cost was not an issue where his guns were concerned.

ETA: Example, when they had their house built, he had a 50', two lane indoor shooting range built into one side of the basement.  Complete with ventilation and sound proofing from the rest of the house.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Late 70s - early 80s.  He and his wife were DINKs (Dual Income, No Kids).  Cost was not an issue where his guns were concerned.

ETA: Example, when they had their house built, he had a 50', two lane indoor shooting range built into one side of the basement.  Complete with ventilation and sound proofing from the rest of the house.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn! That is awesome! I personally would have sold the stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top