Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 8:10:53 PM EDT
Snuck up to the range this evening to try out the new scope that arrived today. I think it was the final piece in my quest to make a super accurate squirrel rig.
I am well pleased

Action - Tactical Solutions
Trigger group - Tactical Solutions
Barrel - Kidd 16 inch Ultra Light - free floated
Stock - Hogue over molded - skim bedded for a beautiful fit
Scope - Weaver Claasic V24 6x24 AO

Three 5 shot groups at 50 yards, 1/4 in dot. Ammo used is noted on the targets. I'm debating if it's even worth paying the premium for true match ammo.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep telling people to buy Kidd barrels over TS.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
What is skim bedding?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is skim bedding?
View Quote

It's a very thin layer of Devcon used to ensure that the action is as stable as possible when torqued down to the bedding block. It's just another step to eliminate the variables that can drive you nuts when chasing tiny groups. Admittedly it's usually overkill, but I had the time and was bored so went ahead and did it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Nice shootin'!, and a sweet-looking setup.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's a very thin layer of Devcon used to ensure that the action is as stable as possible when torqued down to the bedding block. It's just another step to eliminate the variables that can drive you nuts when chasing tiny groups. Admittedly it's usually overkill, but I had the time and was bored so went ahead and did it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is skim bedding?

Did you pillar the takedown bolt too?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:54:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Love my Kidd LW, but if I new I could get groups like yours I would have preferred the ULW. Oh well couple ounces won't kill me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is skim bedding?

I did not. The Tacsol action and trigger group provided a VERY tight lockup with the rear shelf of the stock so I concentrated my efforts on hand fitting the interaction between the two. Combined with work done up front the action is rock solid with the takedown screw torqued to 20 inch pounds.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Those groups with that ammo are amazing.  Good work.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice groups!

I've been thinking about buying a complete KIDD supergrade.  Pricey, but I like the components.  Still looking for opinions.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input fellas!
I took it along today to shoot while letting my .308 barrels cool off between strings. I didn't shoot groups but I was VERY pleased to find that the hash marks On the reticle are dead on when using Federal Game Shok and a 25 yard zero.
Using a Birchwood Casey 1 3/4 swinger I placed it at 75 yards, held directly on the second hash mark, and proceeded to score a perfect 20 out of 20. Needless to say I was very pleased so I moved the swinger out to 100 yards. This time, using the third hash mark I proceeded to score 19 out of 20 shots so I put her back in the case and ended the session on a high note .
Overall I am extremely happy with this little gun and look forward to taking it out for a bit of squirrel hunting next weekend when our mini season opens.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#13]
You must be a hell of a shot or got really lucky with that barrel? Kidd only states to expect 1/2MOA from that barrel (and doesn't even guarantee that). You got a keeper there!
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You must be a hell of a shot or got really lucky with that barrel? Kidd only states to expect 1/2MOA from that barrel (and doesn't even guarantee that). You got a keeper there!
View Quote

Full disclosure:
Sinclair front rest
Rear bag
Cherry picked groups
Groups shot with absolutely no wind present
Several types of ammo gave less than stellar groups

I certainly don't want to give the impression that every group was like that. I feel the targets do show the potential of the barrel's accuracy which is why I posted them for someone who might be trying to make the decision between which barrel weight to buy.

Regardless, you're right, it's a definite keeper !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top