Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2016 5:52:01 PM EDT
It is just the simple $200 wood stock from Rural King.  So far, I dropped in a BX trigger that I've modified further and have a clean 2.2# trigger that I'll get lower at some point.  I've done the Scotch Bright pad cleaning of the receiver.  Used 1,200 grit to polish up the bolt surfaces, slightly rounded the bottom of the bolt. Finally I put a nylon buffer in.  

The rifle, in my hands is capable of roughly 1 3/4 of an inch at 50 yards with the stock sites, but requires a lot of effort to do so.  The sights are a bit less than ideal in my opinion.  I ended up putting a big X on my target to try and make consistent aiming easier.  It cycled all the ammo I fed it.  Even sub-sonic CCI segmented hollow points.  It shot the best with Elly match.  Shot the worst with Federal Lightning.  

Overall, I know this "cost saving" rifle is going to be one of my new favorites but is going to cost me a fortune
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want better sights, and may eventually put on a scope or reddot sight... check out Williams Ace in the Hole sight set. A peep sight and a longer sight radius.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want better sights, and may eventually put on a scope or reddot sight... check out Williams Ace in the Hole sight set. A peep sight and a longer sight radius.
View Quote

Scope will be added very soon... I'll check out the Ace sights
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I took mine out today too. I bought a Tactcial Solutions takedown barrel and stock combo and I am using a Revolution 45 in the K configuration with a fixed mount and 22 endcap. I sighted the irons in at 25 yards and then shot steel. It shot well but the subsonic ammo I had, federal target match and aquila pistol match, was giving me some failures to eject. I need to get some different subs to try.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I took mine out today too. I bought a Tactcial Solutions takedown barrel and stock combo and I am using a Revolution 45 in the K configuration with a fixed mount and 22 endcap. I sighted the irons in at 25 yards and then shot steel. It shot well but the subsonic ammo I had, federal target match and aquila pistol match, was giving me some failures to eject. I need to get some different subs to try.
View Quote

CCI segmented hollow point subs worked very well in my gun.  I'm going to get my hands on others and try them too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

CCI segmented hollow point subs worked very well in my gun.  I'm going to get my hands on others and try them too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. I ordered a brick of CCI standards last night as I hear they are subsonic except when it is cold out. I hope that and the elevation here doesn't cause any problems.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. I ordered a brick of CCI standards last night as I hear they are subsonic except when it is cold out. I hope that and the elevation here doesn't cause any problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How high up are you? CCI SV stays subsonic for me 100% of the time so far.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had a few crack on me on cold days out of my 16" TacSol barrel with a Sparrow on the end, and I'm at ~1000 ft.
May have been that one lot, and CCI SV is the most accurate "non match" ammo I've used, but I normally stick to 45gr subs and 40gr CCI HP subs for killing things quietly.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am shooting usually between 5000 and 7000 feet. My range is at 5300 feet.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#9]
i got a very old used 10/22 last year in trade for some work i did. it was the 18" barrel, wood stock and had a shitty scope on it. the only factory parts left are the reciever, trigger housing and stripped bolt. after about $700 (not counting my can) i can stack bullets at 50yrds all day long lol
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a scope and some wolf target match and bench rest it, youll be hitting dimes at 50yrd in no time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i got a very old used 10/22 last year in trade for some work i did. it was the 18" barrel, wood stock and had a shitty scope on it. the only factory parts left are the reciever, trigger housing and stripped bolt. after about $700 (not counting my can) i can stack bullets at 50yrds all day long lol
View Quote

I'm probably going to be in the same boat. Damned thing is going to be expensive, but it's such a cool design.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up my collectors edition 10/22 today.

Put a Bushnell micro TRS25 RD on it,lots of fun and accurate too.Ghost sights are fun and very effective

Found a tested 2.0 lb BX trigger on ebay for $69 shipped.Should make a big difference,even though i was shocked how well the factory trigger did.

Forgot how much fun these things are.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Put a Bushnell micro TRS25 RD on it,lots of fun and accurate too.Ghost sights are fun and very effective

Found a tested 2.0 lb BX trigger on ebay for $69 shipped.Should make a big difference,even though i was shocked how well the factory trigger did.

View Quote

They have those here at Sportsman's Warehouse for $199. I was thinking of picking one up to use as a base for a build. Can the ghost sites be removed from the receiver?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:24:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They have those here at Sportsman's Warehouse for $199. I was thinking of picking one up to use as a base for a build. Can the ghost sites be removed from the receiver?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, thats a great price if its the model like mine with the removable comb and the $25 gift code along with the street sign.

I paid $250 for mine

Yes, the ghost sight and rail can be removed.Without taking mine off it looks like the rear sight is attached by a single hex head screw.

The rail is secured by the  tapped holes on top of the receiver
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wow, thats a great price if its the model like mine with the removable comb and the $25 gift code along with the street sign.

I paid $250 for mine

Yes, the ghost sight and rail can be removed.Without taking mine off it looks like the rear sight is attached by a single hex head screw.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid $250 for mine

That's the one. I went to buy it today and the assholes at Sportsman's warehouse wouldn't sell it to me because my current address isn't the same as on my DL, despite me producing a government issued document with my correct address on it which is totally acceptable as far as the ATF is concerned. They gave me a line of bullshit about it being corporate policy. That's fine, they just lost my business.

edit: I filled out a complaint online and the manager of the store actually called me and told me it wasn't corporate policy and said he would sell me the gun, but after checking he found out they sold it after I left. He is now trying to order me another one.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:51:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I put the rear peep sight with matching AR type front post on mine from Techsights (TSR200) for a Project Appleseed shoot. I also installed a new Volquartson EDM cut extractor and nylon bolt buffer. My 10/22 is the carbine Woodstock version with standard pencil barrel and barrel band.

http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger-products/

I would not call these "accuracy upgrades" but this basic version grouped five shot groups into one ragged hole at 25 meters five or six times with CCI standard 40Gr HP ammo with the recommended loop sling for the Appleseed shoot. 400 rounds over two days and not a single FTF or FTE!

Many of the shooters around me were using rather large scopes and could not accomplish this. I don't understand using a 3X10 scope at 25 meters. The Appleseed Project is about learning technique and a scope IMO takes the romance out of it.

My 10/22 is more capable than I am. Love it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top