Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2016 7:21:40 PM EDT
The newest itch that I need scratched, is a tube fed .22 bolt action rifle. I've been looking long and hard at the Marlin XT-22TRS (stainless). Question is: since Remington took over Marlin, my findings (on the web) is that production quality has taken a nose dive- canted sights, poor machining, or just in general, a substandard offering. Any thoughts on the matter?
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 3:48:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The chances of getting a "bad" one is pretty high.

But the chances of them making it right is also pretty high.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Short answer to the thread title:  no.

The only things left at Remington worth buying come from their Custom Shop, where artisan gunsmiths and quality control still exist, but at a high price.  The production line stuff is mediocre at best.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought that exact same rifle in October 2014 and it shoots better than I do, I might have gotten lucky seeing that I have had 0 problems with it but who knows now, I've been toying with the idea of getting a second but the savage fv-sr is looking pretty good in that price range
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Well there a lots of really nice lightly used older .22's out there.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Put me on the no list; but they are not the only company with issues.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the answer.  Were I looking for a production Remington or Marlin of any kind,  I'd seek out a good used one made back in the '60s - '80s.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is the answer.  Were I looking for a production Remington or Marlin of any kind,  I'd seek out a good used one made back in the '60s - '80s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You read my mind.  A 500 something series sporter Remington from a few decades ago would be all over the latest guns.  

OP if you had to have a new bolt action .22 I'd look to Savage or CZ right now.   I love my CZ's, they're not as cheap as they were but they're made like our guns used to be (or even better).

I also have a soft spot for tube feds.  They're not nearly so popular these days with big box magazines all the rage but I liked them as a youth plinking in the dead of winter,  I could keep my gloves on and load a tube magazine in the winter.  Not so much with a clip mag.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Plenty of sub-$150 vintage 22s in great shape with no bullshit plastic parts.  A speed loader really helps with the tube mag.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I always figured if I wanted a bunch of tube feed speed loaders I'd cut down some arrow shafts.  

In my minds eye, for plinking you'd want a fair amount of them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I always figured if I wanted a bunch of tube feed speed loaders I'd cut down some arrow shafts.  

In my minds eye, for plinking you'd want a fair amount of them.
View Quote

I use one of these:

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#11]
That would get a like if we had a button.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:02:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought a Marlin 795 back in 2009. Haven't had a single issue with it. Cleaned it a few times. Has easily 15k rounds through it. Runs like a champ. I THINK it's the mag fed version of the Marlin model 60? It was my first gun I bought and shot a brick or so every time I would go shoot.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#13]
My dad bought me a Marlin Model 60 .22 rifle when I graduated high school back in 1997, and I absolutely love it.  It's laser accurate, even with the cheap Walmart scope I put on it, and it's just plain FUN.  I had no idea until recently that Remington took over Marlin, and that quality has since suffered severely (from what I've read).  I consider myself lucky then, to have a pre-Remington model.  That being said, the buffer block inside did go brittle and fall apart all on its own in storage.  I was able to replace though with an aftermarket part fairly easily, and all is good now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#14]
An older Marlin 81, 781, or 881 would fit the bill nicely. Either that or one of the house brand equivalents. You could probably pick one up for $100 or less.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an old Stevens 66B and a Springfield 86, both bolt action tube fed repeaters, a Savage Mark II clip fed bolt action, a Nylon 66, an older Marlin 60, Ruger 10/22, and am waiting on a Remington 552 Speedmaster to arrive.

Most of these, with the exception of the Nylon 66, can be had very cheaply.  The Stevens, Springfield and Marlin can usually be had for $125 or less, the 552 Speedmaster about $225, and the Savage Mark II about the same.  The Nylon and Ruger are much more spendy.

LC
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#16]
New is very poor fit and finish in comparison to old.  Here is my original 552 Speedmaster from the '60s.  Period correct Redfield variable.  Uber accurate for an autoloader.  Will shoot shorts, longs, long rifles, even mix them up.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I love the looks of the 552 but most of all I like the left side bolt handle.  Makes it much easier to clear things.  

Can't wait to take mine out this weekend and get it sighted in.

LC
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:50:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I love the looks of the 552 but most of all I like the left side bolt handle.  Makes it much easier to clear things.  

Can't wait to take mine out this weekend and get it sighted in.

LC
View Quote

Left side bolt handle is an interesting feature.  Never really thought about ease of clearing a jam.  I don't ever recall having jams much, but it is easy to charge an empty chamber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top