Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2016 11:44:25 AM EDT
I bought the Ruger American for magazine compatibility with the 10/22. I feel like I made a bad decision. I recently shot an FVSR and everything about it felt better.

The Ruger only has 1 box of Remington sub sonic through it. I assume I wouldn't take a huge hit selling it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If I were to do a Savage FV-SR again it would have to have the Boyds Pro Varmint stock. The factory sucks. Also, you may be better off trying to trade for a FV-SR so you maintain the full value of your rifle.
Good luck.

Quoted:
I bought the Ruger American for magazine compatibility with the 10/22. I feel like I made a bad decision. I recently shot an FVSR and everything about it felt better.

The Ruger only has 1 box of Remington sub sonic through it. I assume I wouldn't take a huge hit selling it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my RAR...wouldn't change it for the world. Love the adjustable trigger, light weight, more accurate out the box than many (and cheaper too). If it's a non-threaded model, they can be had for $220 OTD new, just to give you an idea. You can always go the Arfcom way and just save up for the savage and keep the RAR. You'll have something to shoot while waiting and when ready to buy the Savage, you won't be to desperate to sell the RAR at a huge loss. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
No.

You thought the Savage felt better???

Having owned both, I found the Ruger to be leaps and bounds better.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the Savage FVSR, sold it to buy a RAR.

Savage - flimsy stock, and magazines that are not the best made (easily damaged)

Ruger - better stock (still not perfect, but much better than the Savage factory stock!), and great mags. Since I have other 10/22 rifles, the common magazine was a major part of the switch.

Go with what you like - but I'm glad I went to the RAR.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Savage - flimsy stock, and magazines that are not the best made (easily damaged)

Ruger - better stock (still not perfect, but much better than the Savage factory stock!), and great mags.

View Quote

Pretty much my exact reasoning as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ruger - better stock (still not perfect, but much better than the Savage factory stock!), and great mags.

I actually like the stock on my FVSR.  I've not handled the Ruger, but I'm going to get one just b/c it takes 10/22 mags, and this is a huge plus.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 12:28:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Feed it better ammo and see if you like it better. That fodder you are using sucks ass. Try CCI SV at the minimum.

If all you are going to do is punch paper and such then the Savage will be a bit more accurate but it sucks ass as a woods gun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 2:30:14 AM EDT
[#8]
The ammo is fine for what I use it for plus it's the only readily available subsonic 22 around here. I shot the FVSR again today and agree with a few here that the magazine is a POS and could see how it would easily break. I really like the oversized bolt handle on the Savage and actually prefer it's stock over the RAR.

Has anyone replaced the stock on the RAR? I'd prefer to stick with polymer if anyone has any suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 2:36:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I hate the factory Savage stock.  It's not meant for scope use at all.  My RAR loves CCI SV.  Heck it shoots pretty much ALL ammo well.  I'd try some different food first before getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 4:41:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The ammo is fine for what I use it for plus it's the only readily available subsonic 22 around here. I shot the FVSR again today and agree with a few here that the magazine is a POS and could see how it would easily break. I really like the oversized bolt handle on the Savage and actually prefer it's stock over the RAR.

Has anyone replaced the stock on the RAR? I'd prefer to stick with polymer if anyone has any suggestions.
View Quote

There is no polymer replacement stock for the RAR that I'm aware of. Just the few laminate ones you can find on Boyd's and I believe a couple of other stock makers.

Also, Glades armory makes a really nice bolt knob too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#11]
My American Rimfire is the 8334 model and it has a heavy bolt handle.

I have only shot my savage once since buying the American, the Savage has the edge in accuracy but the American is much handier. Before I had a RAR the Savage was my go to bolt action .22lr and I have had it for 10years now. The magazines have never been a problem except for digging in my back when the rifle is slung.

I am not aware of any polymer RAR replacement stocks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have owned both and would pick my FVSR hands down. I bought a RAR on a impulse by and ended up selling to a buddy. Miy RAR struggled with accuracy out of the box while with the crappy Savage stock the FVSR performed very well. I added a Boyds and never looked back.

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#13]
IMHO the difference between the two rifles boils pretty much boils down to what you are going to use it for.

Punching paper and getting it to look all tacti-cool then buy the Savage and have fun.

Killing squirrels and such then buy the RAR.....It's the best thing that has came down the pike in years for a pure woods .22.

Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I started out with a FVSR shot it over a year before buying a Ruger American bolt 22. Liked both rifles for different reasons and they are good suppressor host. I have since move to the CZ 455 suppressor ready model I like it better than both the FVSR  and Ruger but still kept the other two for back ups.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I hate the factory Savage stock.  It's not meant for scope use at all.  My RAR loves CCI SV.  Heck it shoots pretty much ALL ammo well.  I'd try some different food first before getting rid of it.
View Quote

This

CCI SV 10 shots 50 yards

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I started with the FVSR and didn't like the magazines.

I bought a RAR for features (iron sights and 10/22 mag compatibility).  I thought I'd like it better, but I still like the FVSR better.  The FVSR bolt is smoother and the trigger is better.

the RAR trigger is awful compared to the Savage--even adjusted down to a lower pull weight.  the bolt throw isn't nearly as smooth.

I was sure I'd like the RAR better, but I don't.  And the RAR cost me twice as much.

I still don't like the FVSR mags or mag release.

ALSO:  the FVSR was quieter suppressed with the same ammo and suppressor at the same time.

I have not decided if I will sell the RAR yet or not.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

get an oversized bolt handle from Glades for the RAR. I have one and love it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been looking at that bolt handle.  It looks like it sticks too damn far out.  Thoughts on that?
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Get both. I've got a FV-SR in a Boyde stock.  Stupid quiet fun shooting off the bipod.  Also just finished a lightweight 10/22 build with a Tactical Sol SB-X barrel.  I'd think the American would be a nice light take with you everywhere rifle.  The FV-SR is more of a bench gun.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I tried the standard American and the fvsr out the other day and didn't like the feel of the standard, but just swung by the LGS a bit ago, and they had the Compact American in stock, and it felt a lot better, so it went home with me.  I really wanted to go for the FVSR, but the mags made me go ruger.  This will be strictly run suppressed with gemtech .22 subs, so as long as I can get some 50 yard accuracy out of it, I will stick with it.  If it's not as accurate as I want, I'll pick up a savage and see which shoots better and sell the other.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've been looking at that bolt handle.  It looks like it sticks too damn far out.  Thoughts on that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find that it's perfect for my hands and I like the angle better than stock. The only problem I've had is that it won't let me close it in a rigid case. The size hasn't been a problem at all.

I really couldn't be happier with the handle. It's the only mod I've done to my gun aside from a scope and bipod. I think the gun is pretty much perfect.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a fv-sr and I cannot for the life of me find the boyd's stock on their website.  Can someone please link it?  

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have a fv-sr and I cannot for the life of me find the boyd's stock on their website.  Can someone please link it?  

View Quote

It's a Savage MkII.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It's a Savage MkII.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a Savage MkII.

thx for the tip

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the savage and have had a lot of trouble getting it to shoot accurately.  I hate the mag, sometimes I think its latched, only to find it dropped out.  I had to put large fender washers on the bottom stock screws to finally get it to shoot consistent.  If I had to do over I would have gotten a CZ452 or went with the ruger.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Just save up, and have them both.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I would keep the Ruger.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I also hate the magazine on the Mark II line of rifles, it hangs out a long way and it has pokey corners. I like flush fitting magazines.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
No.

You thought the Savage felt better???

Having owned both, I found the Ruger to be leaps and bounds better.
View Quote

This.  The only thing better on the FVSR is the price.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top