Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2015 9:59:59 PM EDT
I currently have a MKII TR that I like but wish was a 16" barrel.  I have already had the existing barrel threaded by Adco to Silencerco specs. It is a tack driver. *Barrel is factory fluted*

I like the idea of getting the MKII SV-SR since it has a 16" barrel but I would have to get it re-threaded to use the O-Ring engagement feature on silencerco cans. Plus I would want the threads to be as concentric as possible.  I don't believe I would have enough barrel to chop and re-thread without turning it into an SBR.

I am thinking about just cutting my existing rifle down to 16.5" and hoping the flutes look ok when it is all said and done.

Anybody gone this route?

TR  22" barrel

FV-SR 16.5" barrel
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a SilencerCo Sparrow on my FV-SR, what am I missing?  I'm new to Savage Bolt actions and cans.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
When threaded to Silencerco specs. There is a portion at the front of the threads which is smooth to allow the O-Ring to seal. It prevents the threads from getting carbon on them.

Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:25:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When threaded to Silencerco specs. There is a portion at the front of the threads which is smooth to allow the O-Ring to seal. It prevents the threads from getting carbon on them.

http://hooperordnance.com/ImageGalleryHandler.ashx?id=c4d862cd-ec5d-40a1-89fa-a304d40d56ea&blobId=dffb93cb-9abb-4e14-95bc-33567a5efc59&prefix=Fullscreen&cache=True
View Quote

Right, but you don't have to thread to silencerco specs.  i use a sparrow ss several hosts not threaded to Sico spec with good results.  This is in addition to my 4.5" upper which is threaded to their spec, I made sure on that one because it sits well under the rail and the threads are a pain to clean. You just won't get the advantages of oring engagement to keep the threads as clean, but as long as you are using a .4" thread length you should be good to go.  The guys having problems are usually using .6" length threads (no spacer or adapter) and hitting the oring with the barrel, leading to end cap strikes or severe POI shifts.

The oring engagement is a nice feature but not necessary and, in my opinion, not worth the effort of rethreading to have, especially on a bolt gun that wont likely see the volume of a semiauto.  If given the choice on an unthreaded barrel I would do it, but that won't be the issue with an fvsr.  And I wouldn't really expect accuracy to be affected since alignment is set on the threads/shoulder anyway.  My RAR is a 1MOA rifle without the Sico threading using my F1 can and when using the sparrow (which I don't do too often) I have seen no change.

-Mike
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the reply. I am more worried about getting a factory threaded rifle with poor concentricity. I may just end up buying the FV and have it cut down and threaded. The O-Ring feature is really nice to have.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:01:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea, there is always the chance the threads are not concentric, I have been lucky enough to avoid that problem so far.  

I would poke around in the suppressor forum and ask there.  It gets a bit more traffic and I know a lot of guys are using fvsr 's.  If nothing else it can give you an idea about the quality of barrel threads coming out of savage and maybe make your decision a bit easier.

Good Luck and don't rule out the RAR if you are do decide to rethread, they are a bit newer and the aftermarket isn't quite as strong but accuracy has been great and they start out at 18" so plenty of room to cut/thread.

-Mike
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yea, there is always the chance the threads are not concentric, I have been lucky enough to avoid that problem so far.  

I would poke around in the suppressor forum and ask there.  It gets a bit more traffic and I know a lot of guys are using fvsr 's.  If nothing else it can give you an idea about the quality of barrel threads coming out of savage and maybe make your decision a bit easier.

Good Luck and don't rule out the RAR if you are do decide to rethread, they are a bit newer and the aftermarket isn't quite as strong but accuracy has been great and they start out at 18" so plenty of room to cut/thread.

-Mike
View Quote

Thanks for the reply. I just put my MKII TR up for sale. I figure I will just grab a barrel for my 10/22 I never shoot.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 2:56:18 AM EDT
[#7]
My fvsr is perfect from the factory. I use a sico sparrow and have noticed no excessive amount of crud on my threads when mine is not cut for the o-ring engagement. It seems like a non-issue to me. Id say buy the fvsr, shoot it as is and you'll love it!
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I have interest in this thread as I can't decide between either rifle - if your TR hasn't sold please IM me.  If someone can make some suggestions please advise.

You will have to confirm threads are good (can literally pull the bolt and look through your can for 90%).  That said, you can get an o-ring adapter from Silencerco here:

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#9]
If it were me I'd keep the tr as is and get the fv-sr for a shorter option. At $200 new, it wouldn't be worth it to me to sell off or cut the tr down.

I love my fv-sr, it is also a tack driver. The only thing I would change (and will eventually) is the stock, it sucks.

The threads are perfect, from all reports I've seen no one has had any issues with concentricity.

If it was me I wouldn't worry about the oring, but the adapter is an option if your are.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't use a SilencerCO but my threads are perfect as are the one's on my buddy's. The FV-SR is a tried and true platform. If you do get it and replace the stock you will want to do the spacer mod by HaveBlue83 here: Boyd's Stock Spacer Mod Just scroll down about 1/3 page to find it. I would also highly recommend DIP Trigger guard and bottom metal as they are superior to the factory and way better looking.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I was in the same situation as you, I bought a silencerco sparrow and was trying to figure out what to do with my unthreaded mkii in a boyds stock.  I ended up selling my savage for $350 and buying a CZ 455 VPT Threaded with the Manners Stock for $799.  If you don't want to dish out too much extra money CZ makes a tacticool version  that is suppressor ready for around $500.  I really like the CZ action compared to the savage.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#12]

MKII SV-SR  $200 after rebate.  I paid $100 to get mine threaded...

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/75180
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a SR and my friend picked up 2 SR's for his nephews (awesome uncle..). All three were good to go from the factory for various cans.

I haven't heard of any concentricity issues with the savages.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#14]
No issues with my FV-SR & Sparrow.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 3:13:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the input everyone. I will keep an eye out for an FV-SR. After reading  this thread  I now know I can thread the barrel again and still be longer than 16".  ADCO performs the service.  It is worth a read.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I also have a sparrow and FV-SR. You will feel resistance screwing it on the last turn or two as the O ring rides up over the threads, but it will seat on the shoulder no problem.

Also worth noting that the factory Savage thread protector has a recess cut in the interior, and the base of the threads on the barrel have a slight relief cut. A #12 O ring is a good fit here and adds a little friction to keep the thread protector from loosening up.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll sell you mine lol
Don't shoot it much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top