Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2015 8:38:01 AM EDT
Guys I have a old 10/22 . My first ever gun purchase . 16 years old , baggin grociers at Piggly Wiggly   . This is in 1983 . Rifle cost me $69 or $79  at a sporting goods store in the Mall  . She's killed more furry critters than I could ever even remember.  I put a set of NO DAK sights on it. Im Maxed out the rear sight  and still slightly not center target. Im off by  maybe   2"  at 25- 30 yards  distance. Tell me wise ole Hive on what to do to  correct this ill fated issue. Thanks WarDawg

P.S  The sights I have are the piccanny rail M16A1 style . One piece  that bolts on the existing tapped holes that came from the factory .
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a set on my Takedown and barely had to adjust the sights, so I am thinking it's an anomaly with the gun itself.  Could be off center tapped receiver.  If it was shooting fine with normal sights, hard to put blame on the front sight being off.  Did you only replace the rear or did you do the set?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Just curious if you replaced the front sight on your 10/22, could the front sight be canted?  Other wise I think the reciever may not be square where the barrel attaches.  I'm not a 10/22 expert by any means but if everthing is square and not canted there should be enough adjustments in the sights.  I've used a fork of a tree trunk to adjust shot gun barrels but I don't know if I would try it on my 10/22 barrel if the barrel appears bent.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeagh I bought the set . Front and rear. But being honest I have ran a little 22 lr scope on it ever since I got the rifle way back then...  WaRdawg
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]
This was a common problem with the Ruger 10-22's that come with receiver mounted sights.

Most people were able to correct the problem by taking the V block off and twisting the barrel in the receiver in the direction it needs to go then installing the V block again. I would try that and see what it does for you and if that does not take care of it maybe contact Ruger about it.

You can take some of the adjustment out of the front sight to get your rear sight closer to centered.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Being an older rifle, I would expect that the barrel hole was drilled straight. You can test by clamping the receiver to a perfectly flat table top and measuring the distance from the table to the near edge of the muzzle; then flip it over and measure again. The difference, if any, will be 2x the deviation of the barrel from straight.

Is it possible that you installed the front sight with a cant? A set of scope levels, one on the bolt and the other on top of the front sight ears, will tell you that.

If your barrel is crooked, I wonder if Ruger CS would take it after 33 years? If not, you may need to have a gunsmith adjust it. Connecticut Precision Chambering does this but only with their full tune-up service, which costs a bit. The hole in the receiver is re-drilled straight, and the barrel shank is cut, a new extractor slot is cut, and a new shoulder machined on a lathe to fit the hole perfectly. I also think it's possible to re-drill the hole and install a shim for the unmodified barrel to fit - as is done with the Takedown. But I'm not a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks  for the replys guys . The front site is a slip on style that you hold in place with set scerws . I don't think it can be install croooked but I will check. Hell I really don't want to spend any real $$ on it . She's done her job very well over the years .  Heck push come to shove I might put  a compac scope  or red dot back on her. Thanks again wardawg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top