Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2015 11:58:35 AM EDT
I need some inspiration for a quality 22 suppressor host SBR.

What have you got and what would you do differently?

I would like the OAL to be about 16" folded/collapsed.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]

8" barrel + 6.5" can = 14.5".  Tip-to-tip with the Choate stock folded is 23.25" on the one below.
I screwed up installing the Acraglas and used a normal bull barrel to mold it.  Suppressors are typically 1" or so in diameter and NOT .920.  D'OH!  Had to go back later and have a custom barrel made (due to the rail for the light).  
It worked out OK though because if it were any shorter you couldn't reach the fore-end with a 50-round drum inserted.  Consider that if you have or plan to get some.
The laser on the light is pretty much useless for any kind of precision work.  I don't trust it to shoot a rabbit and would omit that if buying again.
A pocket rifle is the funnest 10/22 configuration you'll ever shoot, I promise.  
Good luck with your project and post pics when you're done with it.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]

FYI, Tactical Solutions discontinued selling a 10/22-Charger barrel that was 5.5".  Threading takes up .400 of that, and the shank is another .75 or so.

A Sparrow suppressor is listed as being 5.08".

In a Choate folder, with a Sparrow attached, the tip-to-tip length with that barrel would be about 19".

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#3]
i built an ar pistol with a taccom 4.5" barrel and my pilot 2 is on that gun a lot. first i a spikes reciever plug in it but then swapped to a pistol tube. by far one of my favorites to shoot
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
What am I missing? I am having trouble rationalizing a tax stamp for such a piddling little firearm.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What am I missing? I am having trouble rationalizing a tax stamp for such a piddling little firearm.
View Quote

It is fun to shoot...that's it. Another way of looking at it is 'MERICA
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the Kidd pistol barrel when they go back on sale!
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

correction - TWO tax stamps (read with the voice of Homer Simpson when he was a college professor)
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, well, to each his own, whatever floats your boat, and all that. To paraphrase Jefferson, if it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg, what should I care?

Of course, having to pay a special tax and get government approval for anything related to RKBA is obviously unconstitutional and abhorrent to all decent people.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

8" barrel + 6.5" can = 14.5".  Tip-to-tip with the Choate stock folded is 23.25" on the one below.

I screwed up installing the Acraglas and used a normal bull barrel to mold it.  Suppressors are typically 1" or so in diameter and NOT .920.  D'OH!  Had to go back later and have a custom barrel made (due to the rail for the light).  

It worked out OK though because if it were any shorter you couldn't reach the fore-end with a 50-round drum inserted.  Consider that if you have or plan to get some.

The laser on the light is pretty much useless for any kind of precision work.  I don't trust it to shoot a rabbit and would omit that if buying again.

A pocket rifle is the funnest 10/22 configuration you'll ever shoot, I promise.  

Good luck with your project and post pics when you're done with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/parshooter/Norrell-Full-Auto-Choate-Folder-SBR-WhistlePig-Surefire-Aimpoint-Larue_zpsblyfyi00.jpg      
View Quote

How did you get the rail up front if you don't mind my asking?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:24:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Who makes the 8" fluted barrel above? That looks like a whistle pig barrel.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:47:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

How did you get the rail up front if you don't mind my asking?
View Quote

See this post for an explanation and pics.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:52:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Who makes the 8" fluted barrel above? That looks like a whistle pig barrel.
View Quote

It is.  They were kind enough to do a custom length, to help me fix my screw-up with the bedding.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah, well, to each his own, whatever floats your boat, and all that. To paraphrase Jefferson, if it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg, what should I care?

Of course, having to pay a special tax and get government approval for anything related to RKBA is obviously unconstitutional and abhorrent to all decent people.
View Quote

ANOTHER COMMON SENSE Gun owner i see. WTF does anyone have to Justify to you, or anyone. Why one needs or doesn't need any firearm.
You keep that Nor' easter mind set.

You jealous BRO?

In Rhode Island you cannot own the following NFA restricted items.

Machine Guns
   Any Other Weapon (AOW)
   Destructive Devices (DD)
   Short Barreled Shotguns (SBS)
   Short Barreled Rifles (SBR)

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I keep wanting to SBR and Suppress my GSG5SD.  But, tax stamps alone would be more than the rifle cost in the first place!

I do have a Sparrow, and have it on a 22/45, but I also keep flip-flopping between getting like a 10/22 Takedown or the threaded 'tactical' savage bolt gun.

OP, I know it's classified as a pistol, but you could go with a Ruger Charger (10/22 Pistol).  I've thought about adding it to my list above there....
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:41:39 AM EDT
[#15]
One of them is definitely on my build list. I was going to just sbr my charger but I also have one of the Nodak Receivers with the built in rear sight that might make a dandy little compact rifle.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:21:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I built one 15 or so years ago.  I found a cut down factory blued barrel works just fine. The stainless barrel I used originally was crap for accuracy, though.  I think I still have a 5.5" Lilja barrel around here somewhere, too.

I find the traditional low-powered scope to be kind of bulky. A red dot works well. Recently I've been playing with a pair of Tech Sights on it.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#17]
That picture makes it look like a huge offset on those sights.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That picture makes it look like a huge offset on those sights.
View Quote

You mean vertical offset? The sight protectors make it hard to tell, as viewed from the side.

Both the front and rear sights are adjustable up/down, enough for proper alignment.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah vertical offset. Maybe it's just the picture but it doesn't seem like you could sight it in.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Fun little shooter!  

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#22]
IBSlingin has some badass builds
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#23]
The barrel was made by Clint at beyerbarrels.com.  Real stand-up gentleman and if you dont see what your looking for, give him a call or email.  I wanted a particular length (4.75") and thats what he made me.  Extremely light and accurate barrel.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

ANOTHER COMMON SENSE Gun owner i see. WTF does anyone have to Justify to you, or anyone. Why one needs or doesn't need any firearm.

You jealous BRO?

Machine Guns
   Any Other Weapon (AOW)
   Destructive Devices (DD)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You jealous BRO?

Machine Guns
   Any Other Weapon (AOW)
   Destructive Devices (DD)

I don't think it's a Nor eastern mindset so much as an infringemnment.
Common sense is you shouldn't have to ask for permissions to rights granted by the constitution.
Or maybe suppressors and short barrels(and machine guns) are the exception to keep and bear arms part that I missed.

If your wanting integrally suppressed, check out S&H Arms in Oklahoma.
They make some amazing integral barrelled 10/22 and MKII Ruger silencers.
I just haven't done it because Like the poster above, I don't feel I shouldn't have to ask for permission.
AND, I'm in a free state.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Common sense is you shouldn't have to ask for permissions to rights granted by the constitution.
Or maybe suppressors and short barrels(and machine guns) are the exception to keep and bear arms part that I missed.

I just haven't done it because Like the poster above, I don't feel I shouldn't have to ask for permission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You jealous BRO?

Machine Guns
   Any Other Weapon (AOW)
   Destructive Devices (DD)

Protected, not granted.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#27]

What stock is this?  Did you have to cut the forend down yourself?
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I built one 15 or so years ago.  I found a cut down factory blued barrel works just fine. The stainless barrel I used originally was crap for accuracy, though.  I think I still have a 5.5" Lilja barrel around here somewhere, too.

I find the traditional low-powered scope to be kind of bulky. A red dot works well. Recently I've been playing with a pair of Tech Sights on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/GarrettJ/DSC07976.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/GarrettJ/Img06.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/GarrettJ/7BC1442D-E8BB-45AC-BEBB-04B579735CEE_zps8sxbv2hv.jpg
View Quote

That range looks EXACTLY like Pigeon Hill near St Joe, MO.  Is it?

And yeah, TechSites rock.  I have a set on my Marlin 60 that I setup for Appleseed shoots.  Turned an already accurate rifle into a tackdriver.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That range looks EXACTLY like Pigeon Hill near St Joe, MO.  Is it?
View Quote

Yep. You win!  I used to live just south of there in Platte City.

I want to say that picture was taken on the first day silencers became legal in MO. Before that I had to keep them in a bank box in NE, and then was able to move them to KS, as cans became legal there about half a year before MO.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Knoxx axiom.  Yes i cut it down. I had the agp for a bit, but really wanted something ahead of the magazine to hold.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I was inspired by Sanman28.

Link Posted: 12/16/2015 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#32]

:/

This is the coolest 10/22 I've ever seen. Now I have to SBR mine :(

Curse you!

Idk if I should SBR this 1975 receiver I have or go get a newer one. Mine is a little chewed up. Decisions!
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Idk if I should SBR this 1975 receiver I have or go get a newer one. Mine is a little chewed up. Decisions!
View Quote

I SBRd my '85 10/22. But I wanted to use a legitimate "pre ban" gun, as I wanted to include a bunch of evil features. We were in the middle of the Clinton assault weapon ban when I built it.  

Now, I'd probably use a newer one.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Curse you!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Curse you!

Sorry to make life hard on you brother!  I used a NoDak Spud receiver for that little gun.  I figured it was worth a little extra to get a special receiver to start with.  i like the fwd rail too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top