Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2015 5:38:26 PM EDT
I am looking for a nice .22 to plink and take out some flying rats outside of town.  Bolt gun is mandatory as I plan to shoot some Aquila sub sonic ammo, single loaded.  I would also like for it to have a shorter varmint barrel, either threaded or something heavy enough to thread. Would prefer drilled and tapped scope mounts but I could probably make due with a dovetailed receiver.

I have been looking at the CZ 455 Varmint, which I would plan to cut back to 16" and have threaded for my can.  They have one with a 16,5" bbl and threaded but I don't particularly care for the synthetic stock. Is there anything better in this price range ($415.00)? Anschutz is out as they are way too expensive for my needs.  Also thought about a Winchester 52 to modify but they are pricey as well.  Is there anything I am missing?  Buying something used and/or old would not be an issue.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you looked at your local pawn shops?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
This might be below your price range, but I like mine; threaded barrel, Picatinny rail, bolt action, and the Accu-Trigger is very nice.

Savage MkII FVSR

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This might be below your price range, but I like mine; threaded barrel, Picatinny rail, bolt action, and the Accu-Trigger is very nice.

Savage MkII FVSR

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/900/y368Zlzsj_1fzw1fMb3.png
View Quote

Deadly
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Savage MkII FVSR

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/900/y368Zlzsj_1fzw1fMb3.png
View Quote

This...have mine and it is a tack driver and works great suppressed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought a ruger American in .22 magnum its a nice rifle. The savages are nice too.

I do like the ruger mag better then the savage. The ruger has a nicer stock, but the savage has a better trigger.

Either would be a great inexpensive choice.

" />
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Since the OP stated he doesn't want a synthetic stock...here is my thoughts...Unfortunately you don't have a lot of options for non-synthetic stocked rifles.  I am in the same boat.  I hate synthetic stocks.  I am considering a Ruger American Compact with threaded barrel and replacing the stock with a Boyd"s walnut stock for an additional $100 just so I can get what I want in a rifle.  This seems to be the best of both worlds and will allow me to use a can for critter control.

Here is the rifle:

Here is the stock:

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Ruger American Rimfire compact threaded.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice choices. I didn't even think about adding a wood stock. The Savage looks like a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice choices. I didn't even think about adding a wood stock. The Savage looks like a nice rifle.
View Quote

You will spend $500 - $1000 for a .22lr rifle with a wood stock from the factory and I don't know of any with a threaded barrel.  Your best bet is to build one the way you want as I am planning.  I really like bolt guns and have been wanting a Ruger American Rimfire, .22lr is a no brainer for plinking and cost, the compact version for handiness, threaded for suppressor option, I love walnut so the new Boyd's walnut stock fits the need perfectly.  I also prefer to use .mil / .mil scopes so I plan to add a SWFA SS 6x42 scope ( I think)  It should make a fine little hunting / plinking rifle.

Check out Stocky's and Boyd's for .22lr stocks.  See what stocks they have to get an idea of what rifles you can get wood stocks for then shop for a rifle to put in the stock.  Kinda reverse shop so to speak.  In my case it worked it may work for you.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#10]
CZ used to have a 16.5 inch threaded American (sporter contour) in a wood stock.  The down side is they used a euro metric thread that we generally don't use over here.  Their latest guns on the the 455 receiver I believe have our threads finally.   ETA- I think the last of the 452 Americans with the threaded barrel were with their US thread type.

I'd pick the gun I like the best and have it threaded.  I just picked up a used 452 Varmint for $325.  It's really not that heavy with the 20" barrel.  (off the top of my head I think that's the correct length)

I think the wood stocks would balance better than a synthetic when you start adding a suppressor.   I am far from a suppressor expert.  Wish I was.  FUAC
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Have you looked at your local pawn shops?
View Quote

Check these first.  There's no telling what you're liable to turn up.

You might also consider the Biathlon Basic, for about $300:

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Savage MkII FVSR

View Quote
very nice, I have one

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:25:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Cz with the heavy barrel and get the barrel cut and threaded.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to have the Savage FVSR. I now have a Ruger American Rimfire. I like the Ruger better. Fit and finish on the Ruger is better and the mag design is leaps and bounds ahead of the Savage. The Savage edges out the Ruger in the trigger department and MAY be a little more accurate, but I haven't shot the Ruger as much yet. The factory Ruger polymer stock is WAAAY better than the factory Savage polymer stock but you can get a Boyd's (great South Dakota company) for either.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:13:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
CZ used to have a 16.5 inch threaded American (sporter contour) in a wood stock.  The down side is they used a euro metric thread that we generally don't use over here.  Their latest guns on the the 455 receiver I believe have our threads finally.   ETA- I think the last of the 452 Americans with the threaded barrel were with their US thread type.

I'd pick the gun I like the best and have it threaded.  I just picked up a used 452 Varmint for $325.  It's really not that heavy with the 20" barrel.  (off the top of my head I think that's the correct length)

I think the wood stocks would balance better than a synthetic when you start adding a suppressor.   I am far from a suppressor expert.  Wish I was.  FUAC
View Quote

.22lr suppressors are generally made of aluminum and very light, the added weight doesn't matter so much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top