Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 11:32:40 PM EDT
Forgive me for the slightly misleading thread title... I just picked up a 5th anniversary contest Ruger 10/22 and need to start figuring out which ammo works best for it. I know that each rifle is different and what shoots great in one rifle might shoot horribly in another. I'm not looking for someone to tell me what ammo is the end all, be all. What I'm hoping is that those with experience with the rifle can give me a short list of what ammo brands and types they've found to work well so I can find what among the short list proves the most accurate.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine shoots shockingly well with Blazer.  Out to 50 yards it shoots <moa.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:05:55 AM EDT
[#2]
CCI Mini Mags for a decent group at high velocity or CCI Standard Velocity which will make 1/2" groups at 25 with the factory setup. CCI all the way if you don't want to hear click on a loaded mag.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#3]
CCI stinger.

/thread
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:57:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Forgive me for the slightly misleading thread title... I just picked up a 5th anniversary contest Ruger 10/22 and need to start figuring out which ammo works best for it. I know that each rifle is different and what shoots great in one rifle might shoot horribly in another. I'm not looking for someone to tell me what ammo is the end all, be all. What I'm hoping is that those with experience with the rifle can give me a short list of what ammo brands and types they've found to work well so I can find what among the short list proves the most accurate.

Thanks.
View Quote

I've had no issues with anything that wasn't a flat nose, hollow point lead round for consistency.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:03:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I would avoid Winchester White Box 555,333 and 222.
Way too many failure to fire and they are very poor grouping.

My 10/22s run everything else just fine.
CCI standard velocity is giving me the best accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine likes Federal.

Golden Bullets endanger anyone standing anywhere other than directly in front of the target.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#7]
CCI mini mags works great, also with all my otherr .22lrs
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#8]
What ammo can you lay your hands on at a reasonable price ?

New 10/22s generally are a bit stiff and might stumble unless fed good strong HV like mini-mags

Shoot it a while and /or radius the bolt (see rinfirecentral) and you will get good reliability from the mid range blazer and standard velocity (CCI STD or Wolf) Most any rimfire rifle will get way better accuracy with standard velocity

I have had good to excellent results with all CCI products and back some years used lots of Aguilla when it was dirt cheep

I have had some very substandard results with Remington and Winchester bulk products .

Here in New England neckbearding is strong so prices are silly and supply is poor . I understand box limits but it makes it hard

For hunting/pest control the CCI Velocitor has much more power with better accuracy than most hyper velocity ammo . Avoid stingers as the cases have weird dimensions .

The simple answer is that once broken in a bit 10/22s generally work with most any decent ammo
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]
CCI Blazer and Federal American Eagle .40gr and Winchester M-22 have been the best bulk ammo I have tried in mine, they are reliable and get decent accuracy.

The only ammo I have had that did not shoot very well has been Federal Lightning, even Remington Thunderbolts shoot well out of it.

In the end, it does not matter what my 50th contest rifle likes, even if we had consecutive serial #s each rifle will prefer its own ammo, at least for the very best accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Great, I just bought 2 boxes of 333rds. of winchester thinking it would be ok in a 10-22.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#11]

1) CCI Mini Mags
2) M-22
3) Blazer

In That order.

But everything pictured works in mine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/ztug/20140304_205006_zpsiswejihs.jpg

1) CCI Mini Mags
2) M-22
3) Blazer

In That order.

But everything pictured works in mine.
View Quote

I was really liking the first box of Winchester M22 I have been shooting until I got towards the bottom of the box. A couple of miscast bullets jammed the rifle.  That puts my experience of M22 reliability down there with Remington Golden.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Standard ammo, Winchester Super-X 36gr. HP's or CCI Mini-Mag 36 gr. HP's. If it won't shoot one of these two well it may be your gun. I know other 22 RF ammo will do as well or maybe better but these two have always been reliable and accurate in my rifles and pistols. Knock on Wood, never a misfire with either.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mine shoots shockingly well with Blazer.  Out to 50 yards it shoots <moa.
View Quote

As CRAZY as this sounds, I have at least 3 10/22s in various configurations that shoot Blazer in 1 hole. My 10/22s love this stuff
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#15]
CCI Standard Velocity
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Blazer or really any CCI product. Wolf MT.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Blazer or really any CCI product. Wolf MT.
View Quote

There you go....Most folks would not even think to shoot Wolf in a 10-22.  

Sadly I have to reserve it for my match rifles now as it's so hard to get at a reasonable price. I'm down to about 2/3rds a case.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Great, I just bought 2 boxes of 333rds. of winchester thinking it would be ok in a 10-22.
View Quote
Winchesters shot under an inch for me at 25 yards.

OP I have also shot under an inch groups at 25 with CCI AR Tac as well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:03:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 inch at 25 yards is 4 MOA.  That is absolutely horrible.  Most cheap rifles will shoot between a quarter inch and half an inch at that distance.  50 yards is a better distance to test ammo because the groups will open up and fliers will be apparent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top