Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2014 12:41:04 PM EDT
I was looking to buy my first 10/22 -
Till I saw Slayfan21's build on here, and developed a deep want.

I'd like to build a 10/22 with a whistle pig barrel and hogue stock. (And eventually suppress it)
So here's my question ...

Should I try to find a complete receiver and build it out -
Purchase a complete rifle and build it out ...
Start from the ground up with an Elite22 Billet Precision receiver?

Here's Slay's build I was talking about ...
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Check your local pawn shops and look for one cheap.  Part out what you don't want and sell the parts on eBay, as they seem to command a premium
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Do whatever you want...you are an adult.

Either option is going to cost you money, so put it together as you see fit.

If you are going to replace the trigger housing and everything...you might as well start from the ground up.  If that's the case, you could just get a 80% receiver as well.  The Sky/budget/imagination is the limiting factors when it comes to 10/22.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I would start with a good receiver and trigger if building from the ground up. I have a Timney drop in trigger group in Tactical Solutions 10/22 and it's a night and day difference over the factory.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Go Kidd or go home.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a wood stock carbine (base model) and build your "dream" 10/22 a piece at a time.

That way you can be shooting immediately, improve the gun over time, and when it's finally complete you have two guns.

I love my "custom" 10/22, but a beater, irons only 10/22 is still something you should have.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a wood stock carbine (base model) and build your "dream" 10/22 a piece at a time.

That way you can be shooting immediately, improve the gun over time, and when it's finally complete you have two guns.

I love my "custom" 10/22, but a beater, irons only 10/22 is still something you should have.
View Quote

I like where this man is going.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I have bought many used 10-22's for $150 and under and they all have had metal trigger groups. It is hard to find an aftermarket receiver for that price, let alone one with a trigger group and bolt/barrel.

I say find a used one and sell off the parts you don't want. Or find a complete rifle built the way you want it, Magnum Research has a few for great prices considering what parts they have.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the love

I started out with a pawnshop 10/22 with the metal trigger guard my GF picked me up for Christmas for $150

I would say look for a older one with a metal trigger pack or just buy the cheapest dude you can find ~$200

Pimp it out
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:40:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me to.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I solicit comments from others...my 10/22 for the STC was built in the mid 90s... each year was a learning experience....the first year all 3 team members had problems keeping the scope mount tight on the standard 10/22 receiver (too thin, even with Loctite)... we all were using Leupold mounts with long Tasco 6-24x44 World Class scopes... adding a cantilever scope mount off the barrel solved the problem... pic is with a Bushnell dot

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Okay, here's what I decided on.
I'm going to pick up a 10/22 tactical, since it's already 90% the way I want it to be.
And try to find a MIST-22 barrel for it.

And I'm going to pick up a black laminate 10/22 to keep stock.

Here's the tactical ->
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm going to pick up a 10/22 tactical, since it's already 90% the way I want it to be.

Here's the tactical ->
http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Tactical/images/1230.jpg
View Quote

buddy has that same rifle, good shooter but boy is it a a heavy sob
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#13]
If the Tactical has the Hammer Forged marked barrel, they are bringing a pretty decent price on the second hand market, over $100 so selling that would help recoup some costs.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I should have gone Kidd with mine.  I won't make that mistake again.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Weight is why I decided to move a few rarely used firearms and spring for the Tactical Solutions 10/22. First thing I did was replace the black Hogue overmold stock with a Boyds Pro-Varmint and even with the added weight of the stock, it's still lighter than my 50th Anniversary Design Winner 10/22. The TacSol rifles use Aircraft grade aluminum so it's very light and a true to rights tac driver.
Not trying to steal your thread Slayfan21, just throwing it out there that a much lighter than stock bull barrel can be had for less than $200 and accuracy will be greatly improved also.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's the tactical ->
http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Tactical/images/1230.jpg

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pardon my newbness, what's KIDD?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#17]
KIDD makes aftermarket parts and even entire 10/22 based rifles. Their stuff is top notch. KIDD 10/22 Aftermarket Parts

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top