Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 1:36:53 AM EDT
Like the title says I just received a Henry US survival rifle as a gift.  Seems pretty neat and I can see the design influences from the AR-15 like how the barrel attaches and the index pin (not surprising considering it was designed by Stoner).  It is in Mossy Oak camo pattern so that is kind of cool since I would have likely spray painted it OD green and brown anyway if it wasn't.  

It came with two mags but I would like to get another.  It appears doing a quick google search that older mags won't work in this rifle, so I need Henry factory ones.  I guess I can just order some from them, but they only come in two packs at a price tag of $40 .  If anybody has another source for factory mags let me know.  

I also found this website https://www.ar-7.com/store/index.html but it seems that most of the parts and mags on that website are listed for the older guns and won't work with the Henry.  Are the barrels offered there compatible?  It doesn't say.  Also does anyone have any experience with that vendor?  GTG?  I might pick up a spare Action Springs Guide, some spare springs, and a black front sight (I'm not real fond of the orange one).  Again I'm not sure if those parts I listed from that vendor will fit this rifle since many are listed as not.

Also I read that it is grooved for mounting optics.  What type of mount do you use?  It looks like a tiny version of a 1913 rail.  Optic recommendations?  I probably will just use irons but is nice to have options.

Any other info or tips would be appreciated thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:17:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Charter Arms and it is ammo fussy, only likes CCI minimags or stingers. Try lots of different ones, it is a funny Rifle, I prefer to shoot it 'Rock the Baby' or grab the mag, it does suck not having a fore end
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I am pretty sure all the barrels interchange, it is the stocks and magazines that have issues.

AR7 is GTG, Years back they were clearing out 10-22 barrels for an amazing price and a few people got some with slight rust. AR7 exchanged them and made it right.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Charter Arms and it is ammo fussy, only likes CCI minimags or stingers. Try lots of different ones, it is a funny Rifle, I prefer to shoot it 'Rock the Baby' or grab the mag, it does suck not having a fore end
View Quote

I had a CA many years ago. Indifferent accuracy. And it was fussy about ammo. But it was fun to shoot, especially after I got a 25-round aftermarket mag.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am pretty sure all the barrels interchange, it is the stocks and magazines that have issues.

AR7 is GTG, Years back they were clearing out 10-22 barrels for an amazing price and a few people got some with slight rust. AR7 exchanged them and made it right.
View Quote

MMmmm, be careful with that. There was a pistol variation of the AR7, and they kept things legal by putting the barrel index pin 180 degrees apart from that of the rifle barrel.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

MMmmm, be careful with that. There was a pistol variation of the AR7, and they kept things legal by putting the barrel index pin 180 degrees apart from that of the rifle barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I read that too.  Just wondering if the barrels offered are compatible with the Henry as I understand it is modified from the original design.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]
What u need to know?  Throw it away.  /Thread.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup, they made a pistol version of the AR-7 (the "Explorer"), which is sort of a mini-broomhandle.

I have both the AR-7 and Explorer, and the bbl is "flipped" on the explorer (mate lug & extractor are opposite sides vs. AR-7)

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#8]
The AR-7 has feedramp as part of the magazine, so if you have feeding issues, that is the first and most effective place to look

They do not feed blocky truncated cone ammo all that reliable, but they will chug on along all day on most any rounded JHP or solid .22 LR of standard pressure (not subsonic or CB stuff).

Mine has been surprisingly very reliable and very accurate (for an iron sighted .22)

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yup, they made a pistol version of the AR-7 (the "Explorer"), which is sort of a mini-broomhandle.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z284/biggerhammertx/Explorer%20Pistol/IMG_20141105_111235_zpsa9f7ea1d.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z284/biggerhammertx/Explorer%20Pistol/IMG_20141105_111303_zps059e0962.jpg

I have both the AR-7 and Explorer, and the bbl is "flipped" on the explorer (mate lug & extractor are opposite sides vs. AR-7)

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

My shop has one of those in it.  handled it, but not quite sure what to make of it...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My shop has one of those in it.  handled it, but not quite sure what to make of it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z284/biggerhammertx/Explorer%20Pistol/IMG_20141105_111235_zpsa9f7ea1d.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z284/biggerhammertx/Explorer%20Pistol/IMG_20141105_111303_zps059e0962.jpg

BIGGER_HAMMER

Those look cool.  I kinda want one now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had the Armalite made version of an AR-7 rifle since the early 80's.  I, like many, find the buttstock LOP and Trigger Grip Pull Length both annoyingly long.  They are long to accomodate the barrel storage into the stock.  Other than that, the comments above reflect my experience.

Best of luck and enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Just run high velocity, not hyper velocity, ammunition and you should be good to go.  I don't think that the mags from older models will work in these.  I have one and it has been very reliable.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Survival Arms model from the early 1990's and a 2003-4 era Henry, and both use the same magazines.  The Henry allows for the storage of 2 magazines, and had a 3/8" dovetail on top of the receiver.

As stated, they like the hotter round nosed ammo.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mines the biggest POS I have since I threw away my Jennings .25
I don't even know where it is.
It too was a gift so I haven't sold it or thrown it away.
Good luck. Some here love them and maybe I got a shitty one.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you guys talking about the Henry version?  Or Armalite, or charter arms?  This gun has been made by like 4 different companies over the years.  The newest ones are Henry.  From what I read online, they are good to go.  If I can find a day where is isn't fucking freezing outside I'll take it out for a spin.

ETA:  If we are all talking about different manufacturers, that is like saying the Larue Tactical AR-15 is a piece of shit because mine was a Hesse, and its junk so all of them are junk.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are you guys talking about the Henry version?  Or Armalite, or charter arms?  This gun has been made by like 4 different companies over the years.  The newest ones are Henry.  From what I read online, they are good to go.  If I can find a day where is isn't fucking freezing outside I'll take it out for a spin.

ETA:  If we are all talking about different manufacturers, that is like saying the Larue Tactical AR-15 is a piece of shit because mine was a Hesse, and its junk so all of them are junk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP has a valid point; mine was Charter Arms IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I disassembled and cleaned an older AR-7 for a friend (older than my Survival Arms version), and the plastic piece that retained the two springs behind the bolt was much flimsier than that of my 2 AR-7's.  I wonder if the replacement of such a simple part would make a noticeable improvement on the older models?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I disassembled and cleaned an older AR-7 for a friend (older than my Survival Arms version), and the plastic piece that retained the two springs behind the bolt was much flimsier than that of my 2 AR-7's.  I wonder if the replacement of such a simple part would make a noticeable improvement on the older models?
View Quote

Perhaps.  I disassembled and lubed mine last night.  They ship them bone dry apparently.  I noticed that part you refer to was plastic and seemed quite flimsy on mine.  I was curious if the older versions may have had a metal part there.  I guess not.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:37:09 AM EDT
[#19]
It's been about 12 years since I worked on that one, but for some reason I'm thinking that the action spring guide was not only a softer plastic, but the legs were shorter as well.  I do remember clearly it didn't go back together as easy as my Survival Arms model.  Compressing the springs was a pain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top