Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 12:06:27 AM EDT
Quick I Need help , I want to get my 16 year old disabled son a 22 for christmas . I have built him an AR but Im not going to give it to him yet , so I called my FFL asked what did he have .
He has a 10/22 50th anniversary edition for $25 more a than a Mossburg 715  , he said he is cutting me a great deal on them after a little checking I see he is .He said he had a savage rascal for 50 bucks less.  Which one would you get for the money ?
Im leaning to the ruger , what say you arfcom.

Update he said he was holding a 597 for a guy that isnt going to come up with the money before christmas he said he would sell me for 179 so now thats in the mix

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:33:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Ruger hands down.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger hands down.
View Quote

Yep.

DO NOT GET A MOSSBERG 715.  You will spend the next year apologizing to your boy.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Ruger is a better rifle, and easier to insert mags and things.

The Mossberg 715 is just a 702 in a crappy plastic shell, and while it functions fine it is a turd. The magazines are very hard to get in and out compared to any other .22 I have used.

For a 16yo the Rascal will most likely be too small, it is a little kids first rifle type.

A 10-22 is great and solid, but you should ask the FFL about Marlin 60 or 795, Savage MKII or Ruger American Rimfire If the 10-22 does not suit you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd say the Ruger. It's a better quality rifle in every respect. Unless you need to transport the rifle in a compact bag, buy the regular model rather than a takedown and save money.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:47:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all

I mentioned those because it is what he had in stock and the price was good ,200 for the 715 and 225 for the 10/22 50th ann ed  , 169 for the rascal .   He said he had something else but its promised out and  he would check with the guy to see if he was stil going to buy it so Im curious to see what that is . I have a couple of 10/22s that Ive had for years but I read that they have went down in quality some .
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:15:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks all

I mentioned those because it is what he had in stock and the price was good ,200 for the 715 and 225 for the 10/22 50th ann ed  , 169 for the rascal .   He said he had something else but its promised out and  he would check with the guy to see if he was stil going to buy it so Im curious to see what that is . I have a couple of 10/22s that Ive had for years but I read that they have went down in quality some .
View Quote

They have gone down in quality.  

Maybe he's got a CZ in there somewhere.  It would be more expensive, but it will be a shooter.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the 50th Anniversary Contest Winner Edition and at 50 yards scoped shooting CCI Standard velocity through a suppressor it makes sub dime sized groups and at 25 makes a single jagged hole. Do the Ruger. Tried and tested over time.

Quoted:

Maybe he's got a CZ in there somewhere.  It would be more expensive, but it will be a shooter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks all

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#9]
update in op

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless the price is a big deal at the moment, I still think the Ruger is the best rifle of the three, and the easiest to use. The wide variety of aftermarket parts and the ease of customization will enable you and your son to configure it so that it will fit him optimally, both in terms of stock fit, sight position, and operating controls. The other two not so much. So over the lifetime of the rifle, I expect that you and he will be happier with the Ruger. But I know how budgets can be. Between the Mossy and the Remmy, I'd buy the Remmy 597 every time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top