Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2014 12:49:16 AM EDT
I want a left handed bolt 22 for 22 league this winter.

Shot a friend's CZ 452 with open sights and did better than with the scoped ruger American.

So look for the fabled CZ, found a lefty for $430  

Or, a Savage MkII GL for $200. Which I'm assuming has a worse action than the CZ, but is the CZ really worth twice the price of the savage?

Am I missing out on anything here? Anything else I should look at?

I'm not interested in a 10/22 build. And I do like a narrow gun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The CZ will have better fit and finish than the Savage and generally be a higher quality rifle. I bet that the Savage will still hang with the CZ accuracy wise.

If it does not have to be a bolt action then there are several lefty friendly designs out there.

Most lever actions and the Browning ATD and clones are narrow.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
is the CZ really worth twice the price of the savage?
View Quote

In general I believe you get what you pay for and yes, IMO the CZ is worth 2x what a Savage goes for but I appreciate quality and craftsmanship. If you are a purely practical type of person that is only concerned with performance then you will probably be happy with the Savage.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I know it's not one that you mentioned, but look at the Savage MKII FV-SR.  I just picked one up and I love it.  

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Or, a Savage MkII GL for $200. Which I'm assuming has a worse action than the CZ, but is the CZ really worth twice the price of the savage?
View Quote

I have the Savage FVSR and the CZ American, and I really like them both.  But, IMO, the answer to your question is yes, the CZ is worth the price.

With the CZ, you get the feeling that they didn't skimp on production just because it was "only a .22."  The wood on mine is sufficient to look like a quality rifle,  and the accuracy is great.

The Savage is a nice rifle, but mine is definitely not as smooth and finished as the CZ.  The stock is plastic, and feels just OK.  Accuracy is great on this too.

The really short version is that I feel like the CZ will be something that will be appreciated by generations in my family, and the Savage is something that is fun, but not in that same league.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Agreed.

The Savage is an accurate and serviceable gun.  In plastic I don't think it will ever measure up to heirloom quality.  If that doesn't matter then by all means buy the tool that works versus the tool that works and will be treasured down the line.

Most plastic inexpensive stocks to me are light in the buttstock and don't balance as well as wood.  Subjective view of course.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I have both and yes, the CZ is worth it. The Savage shoots fine but feels cheap. The CZ is much nicer and both of mine shoot better than the Savage (the Savage does shoot very well though). The Ruger RAR is also quite nice, I would put it between the Savage and CZ. Don't know if they make a lefty though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Tha is for the insight. The savage does have a walnut stock, never been a fan of plastic rifles.

I'm thinking I'll have to save up some cash...
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 77/22 I bought from a friend.  He replaced it with a CZ.  If I didn't have the Ruger I would have a CZ.  

Somewhat off track, but I recently bought a CZ 527 FS in 223 (the mannlicher stock version).  My initial range session went extremely well.  On a cold and fairly windy day I had it sighted in within 20 rounds.  Using some old 69 grain SMK reloads it was giving me right at an inch at fifty yards.  With decent weather and better ammo I have no doubt this thing will be a one moa rifle.  For a 20 inch light barrel carbine I was pretty damn happy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#9]
CZ. Unless you can get over the cheap feeling of the Savage, you will still want a CZ, especially if you shoot one.

My 452 will never be sold.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The 77/22 is another nicer grade .22,  they've gone up in price, just about doubled since I got one.  Running around $700 now.  A lot more money than the CZ let alone the Savage.  The Rugers also need a trigger cleanup job which can be addressed  with a few strokes of a stone and maybe a spring weight change.

The CZ's sometimes need a touch up too.  All I did with my CZ is just adjust the trigger nut preload.  I did no shimming or polishing.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:16:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Got clearance from the boss for the CZ.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I went Ruger, but will likely go Savage or CZ for my next bolt. I like my Ruger, just branching out.

Only advice I'd give is to be sure to get a threaded barrel. really, a 22 bolt with a can is serious fun!
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:36:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went Ruger, but will likely go Savage or CZ for my next bolt. I like my Ruger, just branching out.

Only advice I'd give is to be sure to get a threaded barrel. really, a 22 bolt with a can is serious fun!
View Quote

Well, in the world of left hand bolt CZs I won't have much to choose from. Cans aren't on the top of my list right now, if I get a house on the other side of the river they'll be illegal
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Just a thought here. I can't speak to the CZ as I've never had one but I own both the RAR and Savage FV-SR and I concur that having a can on the rifle is a whole different kind of fun. Both of these rifles are sub MOA rifles in calm conditions but I prefer the Savage only because of the looks although the Ruger Magazines are far superior. Boyds makes very nice stocks for the rifle in different configurations and even with the far superior replacement stock, you will still save a ton of money over the CZ and have extra $$$ to put toward that suppressor or whatever accessories you choose. The below target is 20rds at 50 yards with a light cross breeze.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the advice. I have a CZ 452 Lefty American on order. now I just need to figure out if im going to throw a scope on it or if im goign to sink money into some nice sights.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a LH 452 and I love the gun. Very accurate and smooth action.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a LH 452 and I love the gun. Very accurate and smooth action.
View Quote

What do you run for sights?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top