Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2014 10:22:43 AM EDT
A buddy of mine wants to pick up a 22 cal LR semi-auto rifle for his 21yr old daughter. Not a Ruger 10-22
One that is accurate, easy to clean, and that is pre-taped for a scope. He prefers a semi auto over a bolt action.
I told him about the S&W M&P 15-22 but he would like to have
other options. I can't see him spending more then $500 on the rifle.Help him please.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#1]
He basically wants a 10/22 but not a 10/22?

Not really sure about other cheap options. Savage makes a semi auto but I think its pretty ugly, I used to have a marlin that shot well, I think cz may have a semi auto option
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#2]
If he is sure about not wanting a 10/22, here is a good second choice... (it's "grooved" for a scope mount - not drilled)

Marlin 795

Marlin 795 SS

Marlin 795 TakeDown

Good luck,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a $180 10/22 from PSA would fit the bill, what's so wrong with a 10/22?  I have 3 of them.

You could also get a Remington 597, Walmart sells those for $212 with a 3-9x32 scope, IIRC.  The magazines suck on those, though, the ruger mags are way better.  Bought my mom one when I couldn't find a 10/22 around.

I also have a Mossberg 702 Plinkster.  It was $87 on a post-black friday sale, normal price is $112.  Fun little lightweight rifle, can get 10 and 25rd mags for it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#4]
In that market its 10/22 or nothing.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Believe it or not for some people, not all people the Ruger 10-22 is very
difficult to clean properly and completely. I had a 10-22 with S/S bull
barrel that was a tack driver but for me i found i didn't like cleaning
the barrel from muzzle to breach, having to put a cloth on the trigger
mechanize to keep crude out. Lead is very hard to get out of a barrel
cleaning with Kroil from breach to muzzle. I have Arthritis and i am
selling a Glock 21 gen4 because i have a very hard time breaking it down
to clean. This rifle is for a new female shooter and difficult cleaning
my turn her off from shooting.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The Marlins, Remingtons and Savages are all even less easy than the 10/22 to clean. If that is a priority, your best option is the M&P 15-22. There is no semi-auto rifle easier to clean than that one.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Believe it or not for some people, not all people the Ruger 10-22 is very difficult to clean properly and completely. I had a 10-22 with S/S bull barrel that was a tack driver but for me i found i didn't like cleaning the barrel from muzzle to breach, having to put a cloth on the trigger mechanize to keep crude out. Lead is very hard to get out of a barrel cleaning with Kroil from breach to muzzle. I have Arthritis and i am selling a Glock 21 gen4 because i have a very hard time breaking it down to clean. This rifle is for a new female shooter and difficult cleaning my turn her off from shooting.
<a name="vB::QuickEdit::5188845">http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/imagize/buttons/edit.gif</a>
View Quote

If that is the real issue, it's a simple & easy fix.

You can buy (not too expensive) or borrow (free) a jig that will allow you to drill a "F" size drill hole in the back of the 10/22 receiver. Once done, it can't be seen when the action is in the stock, but allows you to clean the barrel from the breach end.

Then the cleaning process is...

1) remove barrelled action from stock.
2) push out two pins holding the trigger group to receiver.
3) remove bolt.
4) clean barrel.

I have done this on over a dozen 10/22's - the folks over on RFC have the free loaner program for the jig.

One of the reasons I LIKE the 10/22 is how easy it is to maintain.

Take care,
Bob S.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You can buy (not too expensive) or borrow (free) a jig that will allow you to drill a "F" size drill hole in the back of the 10/22 receiver. Once done, it can't be seen when the action is in the stock, but allows you to clean the barrel from the breach end.

3) remove bolt.
4) clean barrel.

I have done this on over a dozen 10/22's - the folks over on RFC have the free loaner program for the jig.

Take care,
Bob S.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Believe it or not for some people, not all people the Ruger 10-22 is very difficult to clean properly and completely. I had a 10-22 with S/S bull barrel that was a tack driver but for me i found i didn't like cleaning the barrel from muzzle to breach, having to put a cloth on the trigger mechanize to keep crude out. Lead is very hard to get out of a barrel cleaning with Kroil from breach to muzzle. I have Arthritis and i am selling a Glock 21 gen4 because i have a very hard time breaking it down to clean. This rifle is for a new female shooter and difficult cleaning my turn her off from shooting.
<a name="vB::QuickEdit::5188845">http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/imagize/buttons/edit.gif</a>

3) remove bolt.
4) clean barrel.

Take care,
Bob S.

Or use an Otis cleaning system to clean from breech to muzzle.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#9]
MP 15-22 is a great option for women or younger kids as it's polymer and is light.  I don't like the exposed mags, but the rifle is nice and light.

On the flip side...I find that it's too light for a training rifle since it doesn't feel like a real AR15 due to the light weight.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know why you'd consider anything but a 10/22 or 15-22.

Other than that I'd go bolt action with a Ruger American Rimfire.

I did enjoy shooting a Sig 522
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bore snake.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I would do a 15/22 for sure. They eat anything and if you spend an extra $89 at USA Gold here on AR15.com you can get a drop in RRA 2 Stage trigger that makes the rifle a joy to shoot. Keep on eye on Palmetto State Armory (PSA) Palmettostatearmory.com, they have the 15/22 for $299 every once in a while and it's a smoking good buy.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 5:57:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would do a 15/22 for sure. They eat anything and if you spend an extra $89 at USA Gold here on AR15.com you can get a drop in RRA 2 Stage trigger that makes the rifle a joy to shoot. Keep on eye on Palmetto State Armory (PSA) Palmettostatearmory.com, they have the 15/22 for $299 every once in a while and it's a smoking good buy.
View Quote

Do you have a link to that drop in 15-22 trigger by chance?

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:40:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Used Remington 552 Speedmaster. Slim, trim, accurate, and it's able to shoot S,L,LR. Easy to scope.

Used Marlin 995 Carbine. Mag fed and much easier to keep clean than a Model 60. Short, handy, easy to scope, and very accurate.

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#15]
10/22 Takedown if it has to be easy to clean.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Since I bought a 15-22 my 10/22s have sat in the safe.
Cleaning the 15-22 is so simple.
And
Cleaning the mags is simple too plus they don't get crudded up as much as Ruger rotary mags do.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sounds like a $180 10/22 from PSA would fit the bill, what's so wrong with a 10/22?  I have 3 of them.

You could also get a Remington 597, Walmart sells those for $212 with a 3-9x32 scope, IIRC.  The magazines suck on those, though, the ruger mags are way better.  Bought my mom one when I couldn't find a 10/22 around.

I also have a Mossberg 702 Plinkster.  It was $87 on a post-black friday sale, normal price is $112.  Fun little lightweight rifle, can get 10 and 25rd mags for it.
View Quote

Looks like they are making the .22 mag version again too. I have a 597 in .22mag and it runs very well. I've never shot the .22lr version but I see reviews that are all over the place from great to poor.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#18]
The amount of cleaning needed to keep a 15/22 or 10/22 is minimal. I have owned my most recent 10/22 for about two years and has seen several thousand rounds and it has been taken down for cleaning never and has not skipped a beat. Same with past 10/22's I have owned. The belief that a gun must be cleansed after every use needs to die. We are in the smokeless powder non corrosive priming era. There is no need to clean them nearly as frequently as everyone does!
If you feel you must clean them ( once with every 500 round brick fired is a little frequent but probably a good rule of thumb if you insist) wiping out the action and bolt ( whatever you can get to without disassembling)  face of the bolt and under the extractor with pipe cleaners q tips and a toothbrush and a couple bore snake passes through the barrel is all it needs and it will still function when handed down to a grandchild
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#19]
15-22, hands down. This shouldn't be this hard.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#20]
If he doesnt want the 15-22 then he needs a marlin 795....... For $130 he will be extremely happy
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Get the 15/22, or get the bolt action .22 of your choice , such as a Savage MKII FVSR.  If neither of those choices meet his satisfaction, tell him to go buy whatever he thinks is pretty and STFU.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#22]
It's just a standard AR trigger. Here you go. He's selling them for $84 shipped now. You can get the 3.5 or 4.5#. They make all the difference in the world.
Rock River Arms 2 Stage Trigger
He's a good guy to deal with and he ships fast.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's just a standard AR trigger. Here you go. He's selling them for $84 shipped now. You can get the 3.5 or 4.5#. They make all the difference in the world.
http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy339/shellrob21/IMG_8699_zps4293450f.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy339/shellrob21/IMG_8699_zps4293450f.jpg

Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger that, thanks.
Didn't realize AR15 trigger was a direct swap.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Since I bought a 15-22 my 10/22s have sat in the safe.
Cleaning the 15-22 is so simple.
And
Cleaning the mags is simple too plus they don't get crudded up as much as Ruger rotary mags do.
View Quote

WAT!

I'm no Ruger fan-boy by any stretch but I've been using the same two mags (bases sanded flat and glued base to base) since the 70s as a hunting/plinking mag set-up. I've never cleaned them. Untold thousands of rounds through them.

That said maybe they cut corners on them like the rest of the base 10/22 line.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd go with the 597. supposedly the mag issues have been resolved.

DO NOT get the savage.  I love savage but that was the worst .22 I've ever owned. it was a malfunctioning piece of shit. Out of 4 mags I had 1 that kinda worked when it felt like it. all of the mags had a tendency to make the round nose dive and refuse to come out. you couldn't take the bolt, spring, etc. out without taking the barrel off.
it's a horrible design!
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd look for a nice used Rem 552 mentioned above.  I have one, and its is superb.  Or, a used Browning .22lr semi auto. You can get a new one of those for $600 or so.

My 522 with a period correct Redfield 3-9x40mm scope is pictured below.  I inherited this rifle and scope in 1976 from its original owner.  I have 8 .22lr rifles, semi auto, pump, lever, and bolt action from four different manufacturers.  Only one, a high end bolt gun, is more accurate.  It continues to cycle flawlessly after all these years.  I regular upland hunt rabbits and squirrels with it.  No, it is not for sale, lol.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'd look for a nice used Rem 552 mentioned above.  I have one, and its is superb.  Or, a used Browning .22lr semi auto. You can get a new one of those for $600 or so.

My 522 with a period correct Redfield 3-9x40mm scope is pictured below.  I inherited this rifle and scope in 1976 from its original owner.  I have 8 .22lr rifles, semi auto, pump, lever, and bolt action from four different manufacturers.  Only one, a high end bolt gun, is more accurate.  It continues to cycle flawlessly after all these years.  I regular upland hunt rabbits and squirrels with it.  No, it is not for sale, lol.

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Mobile%20Uploads/961C4FF4-2A8A-4043-8B48-1747861914CA_zpsy3smhntp.jpg

View Quote

Thanks, I just did a BIN on Gunbroker for a 552 for $149. Its a little scratched up and wouldn't have bothered with it until I noticed the shop selling it is right down the road from me.

I got the 552 home and found it was missing the inner tube spring an follower. I also picked up a Nylon 66, 1960 date for the same price and it was in better shape than described, so it evened out a  bit. I asked the shop where they got them and they said from a Sheriff gun sale.

I was tapping on the mag tube and all of a sudden a live round and broken round came flying out of the mag tube. They were stinger rounds. It looks like the bullet came off one round and caused the spring to stick.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#28]
If the 10/22 is out, then definitely go with the S&W M&P 15-22.  

Only other viable option seems to be a Marlin 597, but I'd rather have a 15-22 myself.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Hoo boy, that 552 in the pic is beautiful. I'd love to own a bit of heritage like that.

I wonder what the OP bought after all these recommendations?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3) remove bolt.
4) clean barrel.

Take care,
Bob S.

+1
Otis and/or Boresnake.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

+1
Otis and/or Boresnake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3) remove bolt.
4) clean barrel.

Take care,
Bob S.

+1
Otis and/or Boresnake.

I use the Otis on my Henry, 10/22, and I've also used it on my Dad's Rem 510. Works great. I don't use the Otis patches though, I just use normal patches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top